Author Topic: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice  (Read 98002 times)

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice
« Reply #135 on: July 3, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Welcome chap!

Hold onto your wallet.

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 3, 2009, 10:55 PM »
Welcome chap!

Hold onto your wallet.

I've been collecting vinyl records for years.  Rare records are right up there in price with rare kubrick stuff. 

But thanks haha!

Offline Jonny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Hi,

Apologies if this has been dealt with in another thread but does anyone know of a good place to purchase acrylic display cases for loose Kubricks? I have seen mention of connectable medicom cases but can't for the life of me find any retailers online that are selling them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Greetings Jonny & Welcome to the Kuby nuthouse. These individual Kuby cases can be ordered from Toytokyo for $39.99 for a box of 20 plus shipping but they are out of stock.

Kubricks/Be@rbricks 100% Display Case (Box of 20pcs)

Others have used Johnny Lightning diecast cases for display.

Offline bigj22

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2009, 03:09 PM »
just curious on if its a good idea to open box sets just to display them in Medicom cases. I love how they look stacked in the cases. Not sure if I will ever sell them, hopefully not, but do you think they lose a lot of value when opened? Sometimes I see some figures listed seperatley and they sell pretty good. Just so you know. I have no intentions of ever selling them but I want to protect my investment a little. Please share your ideas and opinions.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2009, 03:41 PM »
just curious on if its a good idea to open box sets just to display them in Medicom cases. I love how they look stacked in the cases. Not sure if I will ever sell them, hopefully not, but do you think they lose a lot of value when opened? Sometimes I see some figures listed seperatley and they sell pretty good. Just so you know. I have no intentions of ever selling them but I want to protect my investment a little. Please share your ideas and opinions.

I guess it depends on your display.  I like having a little compartment box for each guy, so I tear into any kind of packaging, be it boxes, cards, etc. If you just have your figs on a shelf, then I would totally keep them boxed, though I still might open them up to take a look at the fig.  Some of the detail on the back and being able to repose them is part of the fun of collecting these (for me anyway).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25 AM »
It depends on the collector on how they want to display them. If you want to display them carded & boxed like me then not a problem. If you like them displayed loose then no problem again. If you are not going to sell them then loose is the way to go & limits the space of the cardboard but like I said, it depends on the collector. You do what you want to do & if you are happy with that then that's all that counts.  ;)

Offline gasman034

• Youngling
  • Things are not as pretty on the inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I am an investment collector myself. By that I mean I thoroughly enjoy all of the Star Wars memoralbilia I purchase and only collect those things that appeal to me personally. I also open and display favorites, including Kubricks and the animated Clone Wars stuff. However, when it comes to really expensive items, including some of the Kubrick boxed sets and carded figures, I just can't bring myself to open them. From a pure toy collector mentality, packaging completeness and condition is almost as important as the toy itself. I strongly believe that in the long run (say decades from now) those Kubricks that are still at home in their original packaging will be worth substantially more than those that are not. This is especially true if the packaging still has the factory seals intact. I currently limit my 'opening' to basic sets. I only display chases, carded, and boxed set Kubricks if I have been able to obtain them already opened or loose. Oscar has some great acrylic cases available that are perfect for display of the carded Kubs also. Just one opinion...

Offline gasman034

• Youngling
  • Things are not as pretty on the inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Along the same lines, I've got a question for y'all: Does anyone have any idea how many Star Wars Kubricks are manufactured? For example, how many Series 1 Boba Fett's are there out there? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions??? How about the chases? I realize some are 1:48, 1:96, etc., but what exactly does that mean? In trying to figure a fair value for something, overall appeal, desirablility, and scarcity are right up there in importance. Is it really outrageous to pay, say $200 for a 2003 BAPE carded Boba Fett when only 150 or so exist? I personally am much more comfortable in my investment doing that than paying $200+ for a Series 10 1:96 Tion Medon chase of which there may be ten thousand (for all I know) floating around out there. I am a completist myself and certainly understand the desire to just 'get them all' by any means necessary. But at some point, I believe value and scarcity have to come into the picture. Any thoughts?

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I don't know specific numbers released.  I know that DST and Hot Toys are both very secretive about quantities produced of non-exclusives, and wouldn't be surprised if Medicom was the same.  However, I can tell you that value will be determined by not only production number, but demand.  A rare, carded Boba Fett may exist, but given that there are umpteen thousand loose versions of the same figure, and 20 or so variants of him, his price won't be likely as high as a distinctive, reasonably hard to find and somewhat popular one-off character in the short or long run, in my opinion.

As for what something is worth, that depends on how much you want it of course.  If it doesn't seem outrageous to you, then it isn't.  If it does, then it is.  If you are a Kubrick completist, however, then I pity you and your bank account.

As for your belief that these will be worth more in decades to come, I respectfully disagree.  I don't think the Kubrick line will last that long, and when figures stop being produced, I think interest will wane and value will go down.  Just my hunch.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:51 AM by karamazov80 »
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline Bobajode

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 2, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Hi folks, my names Bobajode and I'm addicted to SW Kubricks. There I've said it, I feel better now. I'm so addicted to these little guys, I've spent a fair amount of cash in the last couple of months. I've bought series 1,6,7,8,9 and Bobafett series and a few random older figures all from ebay, I think I'm getting the completionist bug. I've just found this site and got a lot of decent info so thanks everyone.
  I've been buying a few figures that have been opened but the inner clear plastic bag has not been opened, so my question is this, do you guys think these have legitamately not been opened or have you found that traders reseal them to increase the price.
  Another question is who are decent traders on ebay, I live in the uk and have traded with robxav0 and Honorius from Japan both seem good. Any help's much appreciated, cheers.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2009, 05:23 PM by Bobajode »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 2, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I'd say they are legit.  The only way to find a Chase SW Kubrick is take them out of the box and foil wrappers.  In addition, its easier to ship them without a box so that happens a lot too.

By the way, welcome!!  Finest group of Kubrick Collectors I know hang out here.

Offline Bobajode

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 2, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I'd say they are legit.  The only way to find a Chase SW Kubrick is take them out of the box and foil wrappers.  In addition, its easier to ship them without a box so that happens a lot too.

By the way, welcome!!  Finest group of Kubrick Collectors I know hang out here.

Hi
Thats what I thought but just wanted to check with you guys here.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 2, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Yeah Honorius is well known to us all here mainly for having at least 1000 of any given kubrick going :P I would also recommend ronnicshop http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/RonNicShop__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Anyway welcome to the club ;) nice to see another UK collector on the forums :)
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Bobajode

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 5, 2009, 05:45 PM »

Anyway welcome to the club ;) nice to see another UK collector on the forums :)

Cheers, I take it there's not a lot of us over this side of the pond going by how little is for sale on ebay over here. I've found the high shipping costs have put me off buying more so far.