Author Topic: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice  (Read 97999 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 10:02 AM »
does anyone have any advice on how to get these kubricks and where to start?

The best place to star is with the "not rare" pieces from each series.  Usually you can get them super-cheap ($3-5 each) on eBay.  This allows you to get a few to decide whether on not you want to collect them. 

After that, the best place for older series (like Series 1 to 4) really is eBay.  They are pricey, but that is really the only place you are going to find them appear regularily.  Maybe once and a while you can find extras on the forums, but usually just parts of series and not the whole thing. 

For new stuff (Series 7 and eventually Series 8 ), it's best to get involved on the boards as many people buy in bulk and can help you.

Should I buy them?

If you like them, yes!

Can I trade for them and if so who do I contact?

Like Dan said, keep an eye on our Classifieds Forum.  Kubricks pop up al the time there...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dark_iced_jedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Mandalorian District
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Hey, 1st time poster here. I have been collecting kubricks for a couple of months now, still relatively new to it but my collection now amounts too 38 kubricks soon to be 39. Anyway my question is about the Johnny Lightning Cases for which alot of you seem to use. Where do you get these from? and how much do they cost? I live in england so any help / tips / advice would be great. Thanks.
"In Competition for the Worst First Line I could use, the Coversation for the First Time."

The Mandalorian District

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 06:45 PM »
We can get them at Toys R Us here, although their stocking seems to be a bit erratic at times. If you end up wanting someone here to get some for you and ship them out, I would be willing. They run just under $7.00 after tax. You could probably get 3-4 in a letter post size box-

Offline Dark_iced_jedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Mandalorian District
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28 AM »
We can get them at Toys R Us here, although their stocking seems to be a bit erratic at times. If you end up wanting someone here to get some for you and ship them out, I would be willing. They run just under $7.00 after tax. You could probably get 3-4 in a letter post size box-

Thanks, that would be great if you could help me out. Is that $7 each? as in per case?
"In Competition for the Worst First Line I could use, the Coversation for the First Time."

The Mandalorian District

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 01:39 PM »
There are also the display Cases that Medicom makes.
They have a peg that holds the figure.
Check the For Sale section over at www.kubricknation.com
One of the memebers posted that he had a case left.

CB

I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 2, 2007, 03:17 PM »
does anyone have any advice on how to get these kubricks and where to start?

The best place to star is with the "not rare" pieces from each series.  Usually you can get them super-cheap ($3-5 each) on eBay.  This allows you to get a few to decide whether on not you want to collect them. 

And it should be pointed out that $3-5 is below retail cost on these pieces.  I think post-shipping the regular cost on these stateside (or Canada or elsewhere) is between $7-10 each.  Variability depends on things like exchange rate, customs fees, shipping rates.  So getting a six piece set for about $60 is reasonable (chase not included, of course).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #21 on: May 2, 2007, 05:54 PM »
I think post-shipping the regular cost on these stateside (or Canada or elsewhere) is between $7-10 each.  Variability depends on things like exchange rate, customs fees, shipping rates.  So getting a six piece set for about $60 is reasonable (chase not included, of course).

Interesting that the prices are similar in the UK.

I've only been collecting for about a month and picked up the basic full Series 6 & 7 for around £30 ($60) per set.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49 PM »

They're also great for the WOTC Star Wars Miniatures!

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline rebo99

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2007, 11:43 PM »
Hi guys,

Well, I just kinda into the kubricks lately. It's because I bought all series 1 complete set ....to be honest ....very...very cheap. Well, I thought I was going to give them to my friends. Then I research here that I actually have the chase Boba Fett series 1 (which has Yellow and Red gauntlet). Not only that, I really thought that Kubricks are not only cute, but also cool, and very detail. However, until now, I am not too sure if I should try to collect them. Here are some of my considerations:
  • They are kinda expensive
  • The chase is really really hard to get.....I think...plus expensive

??? ???
Rebo

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 4, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Hi guys,

Well, I just kinda into the kubricks lately. It's because I bought all series 1 complete set ....to be honest ....very...very cheap. Well, I thought I was going to give them to my friends. Then I research here that I actually have the chase Boba Fett series 1 (which has Yellow and Red gauntlet). Not only that, I really thought that Kubricks are not only cute, but also cool, and very detail. However, until now, I am not too sure if I should try to collect them. Here are some of my considerations:
  • They are kinda expensive
  • The chase is really really hard to get.....I think...plus expensive

??? ???
Rebo

While some of the chase figures are expensive, most of the basics can be had quite cheaply (cheap always being a relative term of course). The basic collection of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 is going to be something like:
series 2 $100
Series 3 $100
Series 4  $80
Series 5  $40
Series 6  $40
Series 7  $40

So that is 24 figures for $400, or $16.67 each. You can get lots of extra biker scouts, royal guards, tie pilots, death star gunners, ewoks, and sometimes even jawas for $5 each or so. Once you get yourself caught up to series 4-5, it gets quite reasonable as long as you don't need all the chases. As a matter of fact, once you get past series 4 no figure is over $10 by iteself.

I have a good size collection, and I still don't have some of the early chase figures- but I really don't mind. That little imperial army of bricks is my favorite part of my star wars collection-

And that was one heck of a score on the Fett-

Offline rebo99

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 4, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice.

ALso, another thing, it seems like the kubricks are better if display, rather than still in package. Yeahh....I really feel bad about taking the packages off. SIghhhhh..........

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 5, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Yes, kubricks were meant to be free. Except maybe some carded buggers that get near the $200 mark, they might need to stay put. But at least they can be seen clearly in their package  ;D

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Now that I've seen Series 8, I think that now is the time! I will also probably get a few cantina aliens and Imperials, and maybe try to get Indy. I'll just pick up my absolute favorites. Thanks for all the tips and advice before, guys!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 01:10 PM »
and maybe try to get Indy.

Good luck with that.  They're few and far between on ebay and those that do come up are at least $150.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Good luck with that.  They're few and far between on ebay and those that do come up are at least $150.

I still want to see Indy's parts swapped with Kermit's to make a Kubrick Adventure Kermit.