Author Topic: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice  (Read 98004 times)

Offline icruise

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Mighty Jabba's Collection
Re: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice
« Reply #90 on: April 5, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Of course the real problem is that I'll want to get Tarkin if I hang onto Veers...

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 6, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Of course the real problem is that I'll want to get Tarkin if I hang onto Veers...

Ha!
See what happens!
Crackbricks!!!!!!

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 6, 2008, 02:46 PM »
I've already got Tarkin and no Veers.  Send him to me if you feel too guilty about it.  I'll replace him with the DS Trooper you were shorted in your case  ;D

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2008, 11:27 PM »
I'm looking to have my Kubricks cherry popped. Between listening to Jeff, Scott, and Dale talk about them all the time and looking through the pictures of everybody's nice Kubrick collections, I'm thinking I'd like to start one of my own.

I've just about stopped collecting anything prequel related. I'm going to keep that going and stick with just the OT Kubricks, and I'll probably stay away from the 400% Kubricks as well.

I guess I'm looking for some advice from the many veterans around here. Where is a good place to start? I'm not ready to go after any chase figures just yet, so I'd kind of like to start with the cheaper figures. What is the best bet for starting out, the classifieds here or eBay?
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2008, 11:34 PM »
I guess I'm looking for some advice from the many veterans around here. Where is a good place to start? I'm not ready to go after any chase figures just yet, so I'd kind of like to start with the cheaper figures. What is the best bet for starting out, the classifieds here or eBay?

For older series, I'm not sure you'll find much around the forums, maybe just spare cheapies like Spirit Anakin, Ewoks, and a few other odds and ends.

In the long run, to play catch-up on the past few series of OT stuff, eBay will probably be your best bet... and you'll need some patience.  With a new series released, everyone comes out of the woodwork to try to sell old stuff at inflated prices hoping to cash in on newbies.

Your best bet is to watch eBay and you should be able to find sets of the basic 6 from a series in the $40-60 range.  This is the best option, because if you buy the cheapie singles for $5, chances are you;ll end up shelling out more than you want to for the lower ratio basic figures which are often only available in sets.

Also, take a bit to read through this thread, it's chocked full of good tips and what not on where/when to buy... :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35 PM »
As someone who just got started about 6 months ago I can offer some advice.  First, they call them crackbricks for a reason.  Second, they aren't cheap in the end.  Third, they call them crackbricks for a reason.

Your best bet is hitting the boards first.  I saw that someone (can't remember who) is selling a few of the recent ones for $5 each.  Good price for sure.  I've also got some extras that I'm thinking about unloading so I'll make sure you can get first crack too.  You'll get fair prices from fellow collectors.

After that you have to start searching eBay.  Be prepared to overpay for shipping as most sellers are still coming from Hong Kong, Japan or somewhere else in the pacific-asia regions. 

To get started on the basic series, you can get Kubricks for $5-10 apiece, the earlier series always cost a bit more.  Once you get to chases, you'll can spend almost anything.  However, keep watching and a deal will pop up every now and then.  I just saw a Hibernation Sickness Han chase end at $2.25!! ($8 shipping).  THat's a great price.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Careful what you say about prequel stuff in these parts, people get mighty testy about that sort of thing.  

I'd think later series (5-7, maybe 3-4) for regulars could be had fairly cheaply on ebay these days, but you don't see them all that often that's for sure.  Right now might be a really good time though, as there has been a long drought between series, so I think sellers just tucked away stock until interest came up again, which is now.  So I'd watch there.

Series 1 and 2 are pricey though, so buy a set and be prepared to pay.  

A big issue is that there are lots and lots of common bricks out there, like the Tie Pilot or Royal Guard that you can get cheap.  But the issue comes from the 1/12 ratio stuff or 2/12 stuff like the Gamorrean Guard figure.  Not many of those singles around, so buying sets might be your best bet to avoid the headaches of trying to track down the less common singles.

And I still have a 400% Vader that's extra if yer lookin' ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48 PM »
Also, take a bit to read through this thread, it's chocked full of good tips and what not on where/when to buy... :)

Whoops. I missed this thread somehow. :-X

Thanks for all the good tips guys. You guys may just end up sucking me into your little cult. :)

"This is the way."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2008, 11:54 PM »
Just so you have an idea what roughly the series sets go for Ryan & anyone else, I have kept a record of what the completed have gone for for the past while. Prices may vary from time do to bidding & bin's & usually the time they are posted as per no reserve & early in the morn plus also take in account of where they are auctioned from for shipping costs.

Basic sets:

Series 1: $76.-$98.
Series 2: $77.-$82.
Series 3: $76.-$86.
Series 4: $90-$128.
Series 5: $33.-$66.
Series 6: $31.-$36.
Series 7: $20-$70.
Series 8:  N/A but soon.

I have to catch up on the rest of the Kuby prices as per variants/carded/boxsets/400% etc...

They vary too but like you mentioned, you just want the basic.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2008, 05:55 AM »
Thanks Dale, I think that should be really helpful. That doesn't look like it will be too bad if I can try to space out my purchases enough.
"This is the way."

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38 PM »
if I can try to space out my purchases enough.

Bwhahahaha

next post will be... "OMG I just emptied my bank account and maxed out 12 credit cards.....I didn't even have 12 cards till this morning!!"

You need to do what I do and plan to win the lottery, I have my win scheduled for this Saturday :) :P
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline maulsith

• Jedi Initiate
  • feel the power of the dark side of the force
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2008, 07:53 PM »
 ::) I've very much and passionate in getting Kubs esp.those carded types.Just fancy in those nice designs and cute bubbles..and not forgetting their limited edition as well.Just scored a Droids Boba recently,was so much in love with it,but realized it,there's short of 1 official stickers behind the card..TOMY stckers was missing :o..Did a quick check on my rest of the carded collection,all those have it except the Boba..Just wondering is this piece is a genuine piece.? The rest of the card features are ok..Need advised pls...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2008, 08:39 PM »
I wonder if Medicom did not place the TOMY sticker on the card, is there any residue from it being removed? I can't see this carded figure being faked.

Scan of my cardback.

Offline maulsith

• Jedi Initiate
  • feel the power of the dark side of the force
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2008, 09:18 PM »
I wonder if Medicom did not place the TOMY sticker on the card, is there any residue from it being removed? I can't see this carded figure being faked.

Scan of my cardback.

yup,everything was there ie..the official Medicom seal Except the TOMY stickers..No sign of residue at all for being torn off..everything was as mint as new..

Offline GeneralVeers

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2008, 07:05 AM »
Is there a specific area on these forums for Kubrick Trades?  I can't seem to see one, sorry if i'm being a bit thick  :-\
The thing is, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.