Author Topic: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice  (Read 98333 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick Newbies - Questions and Advice
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35 PM »
That is just the way some figures are.  A few of mine are like that too.  I also have a few figures where the legs won't stay exactly where you want them.  I think this is just due to the way the figures are put together - sometimes pieces are just a hair smaller or larger than they should be. 

Welcome to the Kubrick addicts.  Shoot me a PM if you're looking to pick up other figures - I have tons of duplicates.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Thanks. Currently I'm trying to complete my DX2 series.. but being new just realized I'm missing the two harder to find Kubricks of that series. Well i have the Hoth Leia but no bonus parts.. And I'm not even accounting for the two(?) secret chases from that series..

Offline SoloSS

• Youngling
  • I don't know, so sue me
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I have some more questions for the veterans.. How does one find news about Medicom and new releases? I don't get much from Google searches. Also, in another thread someone mentioned ordering exclusives from the Medicom Club. How does one become a part of that club? Someone also mentioned ordering new releases from people on this forum. How does that work?
Thank you for your help.

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2015, 04:29 AM »
Does anyone have any advice as to how to remove arms from Star Wars kubricks, particularly protocol droids? Please don't say get a Wookiee to do it  ;) They are fictional characters and not very helpful in real world scenarios  :P

I thought it would be easy to give it a bit of force (seriously these puns are not intended) but I don't want to destroy it and the shoulder cover gets in the way. Even playing around with the removable limbs shiny C-3PO which is supposed to come apart I had to remove the whole chest section and head.

Very minor the Force Awakens spoilers to follow.

I've wanted to make an episode 7 C-3PO for a little while now (since someone posted blurry pictures of some crappy merch with an image of C-3PO and R2 on it) but now after Comic Con I'm more comfortable mentioning it and wanted to try and put a R-3po arm on C-3po. I've even got a spare R-3po and half a dozen different C-3po's to do the job.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:35 AM by space monkey »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32 PM »
What's a Kubrick?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2015, 10:22 PM »
What's a Kubrick?

That is correct!  Toy lines: Where are they now for $800, Alex.

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 5, 2015, 10:05 PM »
A couple of comedians in here...

In regards to my above question I seem to recall iamsith doing some customs back in the day, I'm not sure if anyone has any knowledge on dismantling or breaking apart kubricks.

Now to the reason for my post, another question. Has anyone noticed the plastic of the outer robe of their Spirit of Obi Wan Kenobi deteriorating?

I was handling the kubrick recently and noticed the plastic of the robe was a bit tacky or sticky but the rest of the figure was fine. Being that the Spirit of Anakin is almost the exact same kubrick I checked that one too and it was in a similar condition. I has to be because of the softer plastic used and its translucentness, as opposed to the hard plastic of the translucent body and the solid plastic used on other kubricks which is fine.

I gave them a wash in warm soapy water and there's been an improvement.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 6, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Wow. Yes!  Both my spirit Obi and spirit Anakin have sticky capes.  I heated them up with a hairdryer to soften the plastic then slid the capes off.  Then I scrubbed them both down with dish detergent water and rinsed them off.  Dried and heated again with the hairdryer.   They were better but still sticky so I washed, rinsed, and dried them a second time.  I really scrubbed the surface inside and out, then rinsed in hot water for about a minute.  Cloth dried and now they look like new.  I had to heat them up one last time to make sure all the water dried and loosen the neck hole to slip them back on the figure.  We'll see if that lasts, but they look new again.  Thanks for the tip - I didn't have them on display so had no idea that was happening.

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 6, 2015, 12:35 AM »
 :o all my ghost/holos are hard to get too. Has anyone else noticed this as well? what about the others?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 6, 2015, 07:53 AM »
In regards to my above question I seem to recall iamsith doing some customs back in the day, I'm not sure if anyone has any knowledge on dismantling or breaking apart kubricks.

Yes, I did several customs back in the day.  Most of the brick torsos are glued so you have to break them apart.  I would remove the arms and go in with a razor blade along the side.  Once the blade was in slightly I would start to rotate it until I could see the two pieces coming apart.  Stick the blade in further and then give it a good turn and it should split in two.  You may end up with a small hole where you first went in with the blade, but if you are adding robes or when you put the arms back on it shouldn't be too noticeable.  You may also need to superglue the torso back together when you're done so that it stays together.  Hope that helps.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 6, 2015, 10:36 AM »
I made a few customs back in the day.  Depends on what you want to do, but for mine I just boiled and popped out the heads and limbs as needed.  I've since turned to just using a hot hair drier over boiling to soften the plastic, but haven't tried that with any Kubes.  Here are a few of my favorites.  I made a custom Clone Wars Armor Obi-Wan too, but can't find the picture of him.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 7, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I made a custom Clone Wars Armor Obi-Wan too, but can't find the picture of him.

You mean this one?  I found it in the customs thread:

And thought I'd throw mine in there again for old time's sake:

The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 8, 2015, 01:34 AM »
Nice! 

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 8, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Wow there hasn't been this much activity in here in ages.

Thanks I Am Sith and JediJman for the advice. I only want to remove the arms so I'll probably just go with the hairdryer method first,  in fact I might practice first on a cheap kubrick that can be easily replaced if damaged.

JediJman - I'm glad you where able to fix the problem.  I gave them a wash and dry a couple of times as mentioned and while they're not 100% better they're significantly better so I'm happy enough,  I'm not going to go to the extra hassle of removing the robes to clean underneath but it's good to know it's achievable.

I wonder how the ghost Yoda is fairing. I don't own one and I imagine most have remained on the card. I have no idea if it's made of the same material.

Edit: I just remembered they made a holo Leia and while I don't own it I remember the outer robe being a different material than the Anakin and Obi Wan. I also don't own the holo Vader from the exclusive 5-pack but I wonder what condition his cape is in?
« Last Edit: August 8, 2015, 08:29 PM by space monkey »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 9, 2015, 06:32 PM »
I checked these figures out to make sure others didn't have the same problem.  My Holo Vader cape is fine and Holo Leia looks minty fresh.  I have Holo Yoda and Holo Maul, but they are both still on the card.  They look fine as far as I can tell, but would be good to know if anyone with loose versions found the same problem.