Author Topic: Sorely tempted to bid on this one  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Sorely tempted to bid on this one
« on: June 9, 2003, 01:26 AM »
but didn't.  Now, did I blow it or not?  Some of those figures are throw aways, but a few seem worthy of the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2475&item=3133626886
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sorely tempted to bid on this one
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 08:28 AM »
IMO that wasn't that great of a deal.....the only bonus was all of the original weapons.....but the figures look beat.

Try to round up about $300+ and watch for the larger collections.......I've had great luck with larger lots above this price range.....and you'll usually net a bunch of vehicles and playsets...as well as 50+ figures......sometimes more.

Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

obi_robz

« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2003, 08:43 AM »
Nah, they’re just old toys  ;) .

LOL, the thought of old toys being worth money…that’ll NEVER happen  ;D . I binned mine years ago  ;D .

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2003, 09:42 AM »
Maybe its just me, but if you look at Lukes hair, it looks the the Brown Hair Luke variation. If so, he can fetch pretty good coin like this one.
Brown Haired Luke

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2003, 11:17 AM »
Didn't know about that, but I was considering the Luke in there to be a throw away figure anyway.  From the description, LUke and Han's heads had fallen off and been reattached with a screw.  The way it read, that would be the regular Luke and the regular Han.  I presume with loose/reattached heads, they ain't worth a hill of beans.  

I liked the assortment, I just wish they'd indicated which vinyl capes were torn.  I also couldn't tell if the Jawa was a vinyl cape or a cloth cape, though I guessed the latter.  The stormtroopers looked pretty yellow too.  Was wondering about the Bespin Leia and Ben as well.  They didn't look too bad, but the pic was not a lot of help.  

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2003, 01:40 PM »
Honestyl, if you're looking to get into vintage then just take a few weeks to browse the auctions......ALWAYS keep the BIN page ready...and refresh it every 5 minutes......

You will see that if you can stay up till waaaay early in the morning to watch auctions then you will find the best deals ;)
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2003, 01:47 PM »
Honestyl, if you're looking to get into vintage then just take a few weeks to browse the auctions......ALWAYS keep the BIN page ready...and refresh it every 5 minutes......

You will see that if you can stay up till waaaay early in the morning to watch auctions then you will find the best deals ;)

Thanks.  I do my best to stay up as late as I can, but not quite the same living in the Central time zone.  Not up late enough to get those west coast posts and not early enough to beat the east coast buyers [/lame excuse]

I'll see what I can do.  As I said in the other thread, I'm trying to get a handle on decent prices as there is at least one local store selling vintage loose figs.  That way I can see them up close and check the joints, paint, etc before buying.  I see that as an advantage over ebay.  If I factor in shipping, I'll have a good idea of the prices I could pay up here after converting to Canucklebucks.  

A lot is appealing, but again, tricky for me thus far.  Carded is totally out of the question at the moment for two reasons: price and scammers.  Knowing so little, there's just way too much potential to get taken.

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2003, 01:54 PM »
Dude, I hear ya.....I'll do what I can to impart knowledge to you bro.....

The thing that's fun with larger lots is it's great to get large lots and end up with extras.....thos will come in handy for trading for other figs that you need.....and I guarantee you will come out better buying in quantity in the long run.

I've gotta get back to work now.....I'm in the middle of building some cabinets.......so I'll reply later and let you in on the secrets of the "drop test" to help you ID repro weapons ;)

Peace, Brian
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2003, 11:04 PM »
i wouldnt have bought it. you can find a deal like that anytime...no worries
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis