Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Setup...  (Read 13955 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
The Ultimate Group Setup...
« on: May 1, 2007, 04:28 AM »
With only 22 days until setup day (boy that came up out of nowhere...) I think it is time we start to publically discuss our setup (and takedown) strategy.

First off who exactly is our crew? I know we have:

Myself
Phruby
Anton
Famine

Is anyone else going to be availible or is four people going to be enough anyways? I'm thinking we don't want to many cooks in the kitchen or we are going to be bumping into each otther and will lose a lot of effieciency. I think 5-6 is about the maximum number of people we would need. Short of the transport crew which brings me to my next point...

How do we get everything from Point A (Phruby's Place) to Point B (The Convention Center) in as few trips as humanly possible? I think Paul said he can borrow a friend's truck but I have a feeling to all of this is going to fit in one truckload as there are some might big packages. I won't have car access, so we are out on this one, and it is up to Paul and Anthony to get everything to the center. Maybe if you guys had any other local buddies willing to do a favor for you, you guys could make it a caravan? I don't see how moving everything from the cars to thhe booth area will be much of a problem, we have a few strapping young lads to carry all the heavy goods and I'd imagine there is a loading dock near by to the Fan Hall.

I've got a list of all the supplies I can forsee us needing at setup. If anyone wants to add to this feel free.

Woodland Scenics Products

• Foliage Clusters – Dark Green
  • Coarse Turf – Medium Green
  • Fine Turf – Earth
  • Underbrush – Light Green

Other Raw Materials

• Pre-cut Particle board for city base (I’ll get the exact measurements here soon)
  • Stone Tile for city floor (Again I’ll get the exact amount we need here soon)
  • Several good sheets of foamcore (in the event we need to throw together some buildings on the spot)
  • Any extra greeblies you think might be useful
  • Any extra materials you have left over from the wall
  • A few sheets (3-4) of black posterboard to clean up the edges with
  • A few wooden dowles maybe ¼” to ½” thick to use as a gate if we need to extend the back wall

Paints, Glues, Etc.

• A few tubes of superglue
  • White Elmer’s Glue and/or Scenic Glue from Woodland Scenics
  • A can or two of light grey spray paint, and another can or two of stone fleck
  • A few regular bottle of Apple Barrel Acrylic paints, the cheap stuff, in Black, White, Grey, Brown, and any other colors you guys think we may need
  • Duct Tape (always got to have it just in case) ;)
  • Scotch Wall mounting pads (the little green and white squares used to mount posters and stuff on walls)
  • Toothpicks
  • Some type of Dull cote spray (I prefer Testor’s but any bigger cheap versions would be fine too)
  • A can of Spray Adhesive for any quick fixes

Hand tools

• An assortment of paint brushes including sponge brushes
  • Several Exactos
  • A Utility Knife or two
  • Sandpaper, in several different grades
  • Safety Glasses (Safety first ;))
  • A dust rag in the event we have sawdust to clean of the tile or anything else
  • A Metal Yardstick
  • A tape measure
  • Some kind of metal T-Square or Roofing Truss Angle (Not a huge deal if you don’t have one)
  • Scissors

Power Tools

• Dremmel with various bits
  • A few long extension cords
  • Heat gun or hair dryer if you have one (to speed up any quick fixes)
  • If you have a jigsaw and think it would be useful by all means bring it

So what are everyone else's, namely Phruby and Anton's thoughts on the matter?
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 01:22 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: The Ultimate Group Setup...
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2007, 08:36 AM »
First off who eaxctly is our crew? I know we have:
Myself
Phruby
Famine
Anton
As far as I was concerned, my primary purpose for even going to C4 was helping with this project & manning the booth. If Thusday afternoon is too late to help, please let me know.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Wow, that's an exhaustive list - well done Ryan.  Nothing jumps to mind immediately.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2007, 09:41 AM »
Great list Ryan. I have a large van that I can fold down all the seats. All this stuff will fit in it very easily. It's not a concern. We definately can do some carpooling down there. I could take one personal legally with me. We could meet at my house that morning and get things loaded. Not sure on the time we can get in to setup. We need to find that out from Frank as the day gets closer.

I have a folding table and three camping chairs for the booth. A cooler full of bottled water would be good to have. It would be good to include some dry snacks for whoever is manning the booth. I have most of the customizing supplies already but I'll go shopping to pick up the extra stuff. I don't know how much customizing you want to do on site. Things are in pretty good condition right now. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2007, 09:49 AM »
Don't forget the Digital Cameras and extra memory sticks and batteries. Those of us whom can't attend want to see lots of photos. I'd like to see some set-up pics as well.

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Don't forget the Digital Cameras and extra memory sticks and batteries.

Gotcha covered man  8)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2007, 03:41 PM »
First off who eaxctly is our crew? I know we have:
Myself
Phruby
Famine
Anton
As far as I was concerned, my primary purpose for even going to C4 was helping with this project & manning the booth. If Thusday afternoon is too late to help, please let me know.

Well Tom, I was specifically refering to setup day on Wednesday. If everything goes right setup will be done by Wednesday night. But beyond that we still need you and all the other volunteers to man the booth and the dio throughout the weekend. If for some reason we are scrambling to finish setup Thursday still I'm sure we could use your help.
"This is the way."

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Sounds good, man. Wednesday's a little outside of my window of opportunity, but if yer still in need on Thursday do count me in. ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Paul, I happen to have an extra case of water lying around to donate. 35 9 oz. bottles. Just in case Paul can't transport everything in one shot, I have a Honda C-RV which should be able to take quite a few items. I could also pick Ryan and Famine up at your hotel if needed.

How's it work at the convention center on set up days? Do they still charge for parking or even allow one to park if you don't have some sort of pass?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Our hotel is less than a mile away so we may just walk. The offer is a ppreciated though and we may take you up on iit.
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Don't know about parking. As far as I know, Frank will let us in thru the loading docks to unload. As for parking, booth location or any other details, LFL is completely mute about all details. Hell, I don't even know if I need to buy a stinking pass. I would assume we are at the bottom on Gencon's and LFL list of priorities. Nothing has changed on their site regarding C4 in the past five months.

So that basically this means that Anthony will come by my house on wednesday and help load up everything and get the camping supplies ready. We will meet Famine and Ryan at the convention center.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2007, 01:15 PM »
i'll be attending so i'll definetley be able to man the booths. the fewer people we can get away with in the set up, the better, it just makes it easier. i also have some ice chests and a few cases of water if we need more.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2007, 03:33 PM »
An extra table would be good to have and chairs. I don't think we can count on anything to be included in the booth. JediStyle feel free to bring an extra table.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2007, 09:52 PM »
no problem, what sort of dimensions do we need?
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2007, 11:26 PM »
I don't think it really matters. We just need something to put extra customs on. Maybe one or two folding chairs?