Author Topic: What HDTV to buy - LCD, Plasma, DLP  (Read 17844 times)

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: What HDTV to buy - LCD, Plasma, DLP
« Reply #15 on: August 8, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Well.... I ended up getting a PS3... then decided I need to get an HDTV 1080p too!    An folks.... we all know Force Unleashed is coming out... I expect that the Lucas Arts team will be churning it out in 1080p (at least I HOPE so!)

So... COSTO had a 42" Magnavox LCD with 1080p for 999 plus tax/shipping. 
Magnavox

I've had it for almost two weeks now and already have a single pixel gone.   I talked to them about this but they can't do anything without at least 4 pixels being gone (then Magnavox will come repair or replace it).   There's also an annoying display feature that I can't get rid of- whenever I change stations or imputs (and sometime just DVD sections) a small box appears "informing me" of the current format/picutre/source.   I'm seriously thinking about taking it back to COSTCO and getting something else because of both of these (90 day return policy!)

I must say that Fifth Element in Blue Ray on this baby ROCKS!   Ninja Gaiden and F1 Championship are SCHWEEEET!!!

Only debate is whether to keep it or not at this point.   I "think" I'll keep it a few more weeks and see if any more pixels go out (and see what other deals come up)!

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 8, 2007, 04:47 PM by Oboewan »
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 8, 2007, 11:35 PM »

And before anyone asks, yes, the money we spent on the window treatments that my wife wanted would have been able to get me an HDTV...

I share your pain.  Not directly relating to a TV, but the window covering part :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2007, 10:14 AM »

And before anyone asks, yes, the money we spent on the window treatments that my wife wanted would have been able to get me an HDTV...

I share your pain.  Not directly relating to a TV, but the window covering part :'(

Well, without proper window coverings, you will get a horrible glare on the brand new, ginormous, expensive tv of yours :-*
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 9, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Not if you tack up a dark colored sheet >:( :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Not if you tack up a dark colored sheet >:( :-*

Like some of the old Star Wars sheets.......
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline MaxWedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 04:28 AM »
You might want to think about viewing angle, space, and how bright the room is.  I bought a Philips 47" 1080p LCD at Costco early this year, and hung it on the wall of the family room.  We have a kitchen with joined family room (a big 14' x 35' room) with a lot of south facing windows, so it's pretty bright in there.  The LCD handles the bright light conditions well, has good viewing from anywhere in the room, and is big enough to be seen well from the far end of the kitchen.  To me, it seems with a lot of projection DPLs you have to be sitting directly in front of them with your head as high as the center of the screen to get a nice bright picture.  With you head higher or lower than the screen, it darkens considerably.  Test this out at the TV store you visit.  I think you'll find LCD is the way to go.
Wants - everything.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 07:24 AM »
I recently got a Samsung DLP - HLS 6187.  Extremely happy with it.  Best size/money combo in my book.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 04:49 PM »
I'm leaning toward plasma for my Family Room, mostly because of size, and LCD if we upgrade the one in our bedroom, but I'm sure I could be convinced to go with LCD for both.

So I finally got a promotion at work and convinced my wife that we 'NEED' to get an HDTV for the Family Room.  After traveling to many friend's houses to experience their sets in person and then combing through reems of reviews and Consumer Reports, I finally made my purchase.  I ended up with an LCD and got the Sony KDL-52XBR5.  They were running a special at one of the local electronics stores near Milwaukee, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the 52".  I ended up with that and the Bose 3-2-1 Home Entertainment system.

My wife is out shopping for a stand now.  Can't wait to get this all hooked up.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Congrats.   :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 10:09 PM »
I'm starting to look into purchasing an HDTV sometime soon for my room. A 36" or bigger would be my ideal choice but they're way too expensive for me, so I'm looking at the 26" ones. So far I'm leaning towards this since I don't have a DVD player (always used my computer or PS2 for movie viewing).

Does anyone know which stores generally have the best deals or selections on HDTV's?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Diddly

BJs has a few HDTV/DVD combos for less than Best Buy - though not as good a selection.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:19 AM by Tracy »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 9, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Update from my last post: I think I've finally found a TV, a Samsung LN32A550. It's 32" and 1080p, and all the reviews I've read have been positive. Now I'm looking at comparing prices. Circuit City has it for $1000, cheapest I've found so far, but I'll have to try some local electronics stores too.

I'm also looking at DVD players with HD/1080p upconversion, does anyone have experience or suggestions for those?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 9, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Congrats on finding an HDTV you like.  After watching the first few months of the MLB season in HD, I still say this is the greatest purchase I have ever made...

I don't have any experience with an upconverting DVD player, sorry.  I know a few people that have blueray players though and they swear they are the greatest thing ever.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49 AM »
I know a few people that have blueray players though and they swear they are the greatest thing ever.

I'm one of those guys.  Best.  Movie.  Quality.  Ever.  It allows you to take advantage of the full 1080p picture.  I'm sure the prices on blu-ray have dropped a bit so you may consider that as well.  The blu-ray also upconverts to near HD quality for regulary definition DVDs.  I've not had any issues with watching any of my older movies on the blu-ray.

Now the downsides of the blu-ray:  My player is very, very, (sometimes painfully) slow when loading up a movie and getting to the main menu.  I've also already had to upgrade the firmware once on it to keep it up to date with the current "standards".  Not a big deal once I figured out how to update it - I had to download an update CD from the Sony website.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Oh yeah, I definitely have plans to get a Blu Ray player in the future, but I'm not ready to make the switch yet (translation: I will be broke after the HDTV purchase). Plus I plan on getting a PS3 sometime. That's actually why I'm springing for the 1080p TV's even though I won't be able to hook it up to HD cable, for all the future HD purchases I plan on making.