Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 351575 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #1335 on: February 12, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Are the Jedi Force out already?  I can't say I know what they're talking about.  How do you go smaller with toys aimed at small kids?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 12, 2011, 05:19 PM »
**** Hasbro.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1337 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I really don't get this move either...they have spent tons of cash on one style and are abruptly switching scales to come out with something new?  For the most part, outside of SW and Marvel, most of the other boys lines similar figures (Indy, GI Joe, TF etc) have done crap business at retail.  I wonder if there is something with this and they want to try a new style/scale across the board for all of their lines

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 12, 2011, 05:52 PM »
It does seem like an odd choice.  From the couple pictures I've seen today of the Jedi Force stuff, I can't say it looks bad necessarily - and a nice line for kids, but doesn't seem different enough from GH to make the switch.

Admittedly, we got a TON more characters than I ever thought we would in the Galactic Heroes line, so I can't say it didn't have a good run.  I remember buying the original Falcon and X-Wing (when they were just the Playskool Star Wars line) on clearance after Christmas at a Bomgaars (farm store that only has toys at Christmas) just because I thought they looked kind of nifty.  Like Scott said, the Super Hero Squad seems to do pretty well (and SW), but the other lines seemed to have tanked pretty badly.  I will say that there was a time that the new GH sets would disappear as soon as they hit pegs (at least here locally), but they seem to hang quite a bit more these days.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1339 on: February 12, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Yep, Galactic Heroes is dead.  The Vos/Bariss wave will be the last.  

I wonder if there is something with this and they want to try a new style/scale across the board for all of their lines

Yep.  Super Hero Squad will continue with some 3-packs tied to the movies, but their general 2-packs are dead.  

The new "Playskool Heroes" line will have Star Wars, Marvel, and Transformers.  The new style is really similar to the "Adventure Heroes" line they have now (firemen and policemen).  It was designed to be more like the "Imaginext" stuff.  It opened the doors to better vehicles and playsets since the figures will fit in the ships better (they have real articulation now).  We took a bunch of pics, they'll be coming soon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:28 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Yep, Galactic Heroes is dead.  The Vos/Bariss wave will be the last.  

I wonder if there is something with this and they want to try a new style/scale across the board for all of their lines

Yep.  Super Hero Squad will continue with some 3-packs tied to the movies, but their general 2-packs are dead.  

The new "Playskool Heroes" line will have Star Wars, Marvel, and Transformers.  The new style is really similar to the "Adventure Heroes" line they have now (firemen and policemen).  It was designed to be more like the "Imaginext" stuff.  It opened the doors to better vehicles and playsets since the figures will fit in the ships better (they have real articulation now).  We took a bunch of pics, they'll be coming soon.

The Imaginext toys are so great.  The articulation that matters most is at the waist.  Bend at the waist, stop guarding point guards, and presto:  there's suddenly a Landspeeder. 

I've wished Galactic Heroes could get a do-over in Imaginext style (STUNNED they would spend the tooling) - but only with a time machine.  Sigh.  Total refreshes (as opposed to endless new dudes) is just a much more natural progression for a pre-school line.  It's very much like Little People and plenty of other examples.  Here's the model:

re-issue vehicles that make sense from old line
release 40 dudes or so, total, in tons of repacked combos
create new vehicles that are tailored specifically to new style
change style
repeat

In three years, we'll have non-articulated dudes again (the same 40, new style) - but they'll have patterns sculpted on their feet that will trigger different sounds when mashed onto buttons on electronic playsets.  Three years later, they'll be non-articulated AND non-electronic friendly, but they might make more that 40 dudes again - and we're back at square one.

Just please tell me SOMEBODY cornered a Hasbro rep and determined the AT-ST's fate.

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 12, 2011, 07:44 PM »
This is a reasonable fate, I suppose.  The only things that I'm truly annoyed by are:

1.  We didn't get Episode 1 dudes when we could.  The line is far bigger that we ever hoped, yet also no where near big enough because of it.  Period.

2.   Totally blew it with ride-ons.  The best thing about this entire line happened on day 1 and virtually never again.  If you're going to stick with the dopey straddling pose for nearly an entire decade, why in the world would you NOT make the ONLY things straddling is good for?  Jerk-offs!  There's already a huge, clumsy BARC speeder for the new dudes with bleeping uni-legs!?!?  What the bleeeping bleep, Hasbro?!?!?  For real. 

I want my tiny, rubbery, BARC speeders, swoops, and Dooku-choppers.  I want my Episode 1 guys.  Then kill my line.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1342 on: February 12, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Just please tell me SOMEBODY cornered a Hasbro rep and determined the AT-ST's fate.

I knew there was one other thing I was forgetting - "Up in the air". :(  There is a small chance TRU could take it for Christmas, but that isn't finalized/official.  Maybe we'll get an update at SDCC.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1343 on: February 12, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Interesting strategy...  It reminds me of 1982-ish when G.I. Joe was downsized (literally) in part to save cost on materials, and to have more leeway in big vehicles and accessories and things with the ARAH line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40 AM »
Wait, why does Hasbro keep killing these lines at the conventions (comic packs and titanium got axed in front of live audiences, too, right?)?  It's a little extra dose of stomach punch - looking forward to new releases, and instead getting the slide that says "Last Wave FOREVER (suckas!!!)."  Is there any downside to quietly slipping a statement in at the head of a Q&A batch like a month earlier?  There's really no excuse for negativity at a showcase event like this, is there?

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I definately want the AT-ST, but sort of like the idea of a closed line from a collecting standpoint.

New figures from the OT were getting few and far between, and those multi-packs with 2 new and 4-5 retreads for $25 were getting old 2 years ago.
I agree dropping the bomb at Toyfair kind of stinks, but this isn't supposed to be a collector focused presentation, it is meant for retail partners etc. At SDCC it would have been worse-

I think I can safely say I won't be starting another line though

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33 AM »
I feel kind of the same way.  I've really enjoyed this line, and hate to see it end, but I was only picking up the OT stuff at this point anyways and there hasn't been much of that lately aside from the AT-AT and a few 2 packs.  Like I said, they covered a lot more than I ever thought they would in this line and it had a great run.  It does seem like an odd choice to make the switch to Jedi Force, but they look like nice enough toys as well.

I'm more surprised that SHS (aside from movie packs) is getting cut eventually too.  It even has its own show (although I wonder how many kids are watching it at 5:30 AM on a Saturday).  Maybe that show is ending too, I have no idea.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1347 on: February 13, 2011, 04:16 PM »
By the way, sorry Jess.   :-\

I get what they're doing, but I think they maybe could've just improved teh GH figures maybe.  I don't know.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38 AM »
I'm sad to see the line go, but really only because of a handful of missed opportunities.  I'll be interested to see where the AT-ST ends up, if it ever makes it to retail and I guess I'm going to have to search a little harder for a Slave I (I never picked up any of the releases...  :'( ).  As for the new line I don't think I have interest in collecting it, but my sons (2&4) are in the right demongraphic, so they might be interested in a few...

So long Galactic Heroes and thanks for all the fish.
I am not the Stig

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 3, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I am officially bummed out that Episode 1 is getting a theatrical re-release... and yet it still can't be our opportunity to finally add some Watto, Sebulba, Amidala, Nubian, Gungan, Nemoidian goodness to the Galactic Hero line.  Alas.