Author Topic: Postage hike and packages!!  (Read 7484 times)

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
Postage hike and packages!!
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Heads up. There is a major postage rate hike for packages come Monday and it is going to impact us getting our pieces back.

Here's my shipment as an example. I had 10 pounds in a 24"x18"x18" box; this cost me $20 to ship from TX to CA. The post office is switching to Dimensional Weight to determine postage. When you calculate the size of my box, the post office says it's DW is 40 pounds and they will charge for whichever is greater, weight or DW. So it will cost me $40 to get it back the same way it went less than a month before. Ouch!

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Postage hike and packages!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:57 PM »
wow, thats double, bummer. i included more funds in my packaget han it cost me to ship it, but at that rate i still don't know if it's enough. let me know paul.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Crap - double crap.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'll see if Phruby can send my stuff back first class rather than priority, and this might influence what I am wanting back.

:P

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:49 AM »
Crap - double crap.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'll see if Phruby can send my stuff back first class rather than priority, and this might influence what I am wanting back.

From what I understand the Post Office now requires any package over 13 oz. to be Priority. >:(

Btw, I checked other company rates for my package. UPS ground is $32.xx, Fed Ex Home is $27.xx. and DHL ground (residential) is $19.xx.

I don't know how much extra trouble it would be but I gotta say DHL looks really good right now.

E>
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:10 AM by elmeaux »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:20 AM »
CRAPITY CRAP CRAP CRAP!! I definately need to get these oout on Saturday. :-\ Good thing its like 2 pounds

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Well, I can tell you that I'm not going to go out of my way shipping with different companies or special requests. Due to the volume of stuff, that's too much of a headache. Everything will go back USPS. I know some of you have said you want certain things back, I'll post a list after C4 of what made it back in reasonably good shape. Then you can say what you want back or not.

You guys got to remember that this display will be relatively unguarded during most of the convention. We will see what doesn't get pilfered by fans. Finally, I will post a thread today offically asking what pieces we can raffle or ebay off during the show. Pictures of everything I've received so far are in the top thread.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Does anyone know how mych basic priority prices will be? it's normally $4.35 or so how much is the increase?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I think it was normally $4.05, and is going up to about $4.60.  That's not bad but when you get to the heavier boxes that are large, then there's where it's gonna hurt.

Go here - http://www.usps.com/prices/

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 12:48 PM »
luckily i will only be wanting my figures back, so that shouldn't be to much more than whne they were sent.

i really hope there isn't any "pilfaring" of this project by "fans". because i have to say that if anything that i'm planning on getting back is stolen i'm going to be very upset. this isn't somthing that was ever discussed about with this poject............ :-\
=jEdIsTyLe=
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17 PM »
I certainly don't want to put you out, but maybe there is a middle ground? Would it be too much trouble to offer just 1 other option besides usps? A place like Office Max has a shipping center where you could drop off everything in one shot for both shipping companies.

E>

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 02:09 PM »
Damn, I was going to ship mine out with DHL since it would have been cheaper anyways. Is there anyway you could just shipp evrything back with DHL? Otherwise I won't be able to afford getting my stuff back... :-\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:21 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Paul, I'm gonna need you to run to the post office and grab a slip.  Then go to UPS and pick up a box.  Stop and buy me some lunch, then head to Fedex and get some packing tape.  Then bring it all to DHL.  Obviously I'm kidding.  I actually don't want one thing back, so pilfer or auction all of the Daigo's stuff ;D
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 02:40 PM »
I think as long as the booth is maned, with at least one person throughout the event theft should be minimal. I'm hopeing the members who are attending will be able to workout shifts so they can enjoy the show and support the project. But regardless of wether or not some one is manning the booth at all times or not some loss should be expected. Unfortuanlty not everyone is raised to respect the property of others and it's pretty typical of items to be stolen at these types of events. If you remmeber Toyfair a couple of years ago, someone stole the Clone Commander they had on display. Theft sucks but don't get to bent out of shape over it. 

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 06:10 PM »
well i wasn't expecting theft to be a problem and i can honestly say that i wouldn't have sent some of the customs i sent if i had kno whtis would be a possibility. i worked hard on my customs, they are each one of a kind and i'm happy to share them with the community, but i am not willing tho let them be stolen, especially when they ae being displayed for enjoyment or entertainment for starwars fans......
=jEdIsTyLe=

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 06:26 PM »

well i wasn't expecting theft to be a problem and i can honestly say that i wouldn't have sent some of the customs i sent if i had kno whtis would be a possibility.

There was as much a chance of them being lost or destroyed durring shippment. As long as some one is manning the booth, I think loss will be kept to a minimum. But if the booth is left untended for hours at a time, chances are the coolest pieces will get lifted. I don't think the guys would jepordize or efforts like that. Right guys?
Fritzkrieg