Author Topic: New JD Review: 30AC Mustafar Lava Miner  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: 30AC Mustafar Lava Miner
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:08 AM »
So when Hasbro was kicking around 30AC figure photos, I don't know many that didn't excite me in some way...  R2 perhaps, but even Obi-Wan was pretty cool looking.  The early photos of this week's reviews, despite the character's background nature, were still exciting...  I'm not so sure the figure lived up to my hopes though.

Clicky to Read Review!

The Mustafar Lava Miner gets the scrutiny this week in my reviews...  He's neat, he fills a hole, but he's far from "ideal" action figure.  I'd say he ranks as the 3rd most likely pegwarmer of the Wave 1 30AC figures unfortunately, despite being all new, and an alien.  The Miner's articulation and pre-posed leg sculpting are his major flaws...  His articulation isn't horrid mind you, it just doesn't give the figure any benefits as it should.  In comes the leg sculpting, and well you have some problems with poseability.  Essentially he's forever locked in a "mining" hunched over pose...  That sucks.

Still, he's new, he fills a hole, he fills a purpose on display...  Hasbro just didn't deliver greatness with this one.  Check out the review to see the flaws, but also the highlights.  There's some cool stuff to him like the accessories and such.  He's one of those guys that you just buy and never really care much about after you get him *cough*Lushros Dofine*cough*.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Imperialscum

• Youngling
  • Soy una llama!
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: 30AC Mustafar Lava Miner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:29 AM »
I'm back.
I agree, it's a neat figure. He's good for display and... that's all.
I was very disappointed when I opened my miner, and yes you're right, a platform would have made the difference.
I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.
Great review as always. "Precisa y objetiva",  even if I haven't posted any comments in quite a while ago, I've read them all. I really enjoy them.
so, congrats.

Greets from Mexico
Que la fuerza te acompańe!

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:56 AM »
I love this figure, though I do agree, he should've came with the lava platform or at least the lava panning droid.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11 PM »
I too really, really like this fig, Im still glad Hasbro did it. He is actually great custom fodder as I have come to discover. Nice review, AGAIN, JJ!  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Thanks fellas, I appreciate that...

Yeah the platform would've rocked.  I honestly hope Hasbro (I think I asked it one time during the Q&A's?) gives us Evo Ani w/Sith Eyes on a panning droid and Obi-Wan Pilot w/"burn" damage on the platform.  To me, that would be one hell of a nice display set...  Especially if they have clear stands to give them a "hovering" look that you can set them up together...  Would be, honestly, a centerpiece type display for me I think.  I'd probably buy at least two sets too, so I could put one up somewhere kind of "special" away from my collection, like atop the television or something.

But yes, this figure's accessory count made you KIND of want his stand...  I would've dug it though if he had more poseable legs (thigh ball/sockets" more than anything though, so he could stand upright.  That's my main gripe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline KillerVole

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I liked this figure, but he wasn't what I'd expected. You'd think with all that articulation, he'd be a bit more poseable. Oddly, I've only ever seen him in stores once.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:34 AM »
He came and went here too, definitely not pegwarming, but with ANY 30AC basic figures moving fairly quickly except for Obi/R2, it's not too shocking I guess.

And yeah, the articulation count on paper is great, it's kind of ironic his poseability is limited because of the leg's sculpting at the thigh.  The knee joints aren't the typical ball/socket either though, and rather are a pin-swivel (Naboo Soldier guy had the same style articulation).  It's a step back in quality so it's disappointing any time it creeps into any figure.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:46 AM »
Another great review Jesse.  Odd that they would give a figure so much articulation and then give him such an awkward pose.  You'd think they have meetings on how to screw up a figure.

That being said, it is a minor background figure, so I doubt many people would do much with him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.