Author Topic: MLB 2007  (Read 46130 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: MLB 2007
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2007, 06:43 PM »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:44 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48 PM »
Johan, baby.

It's heating up.

It's all about greed baby.  Where have the Kirby Puckett's of the world gone?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2007, 11:07 PM »
That goes both ways...

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/54/richlist07_Carl-Pohlad_75UU.html

$3.1 BILLION...can't afford to pay his payroll...the state builds him a stadium (Mr 3 time billionaire) and they refuse to pay anyone any money...if I were Santana, Mauer and Morneau I'd get the hell out of here too.  Look through the thread we've had here, I've said it once or twice before...**** You Mister Pohlad...**** You right in your 3 Billion Dollar Wallet
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:10 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2007, 11:40 PM »
There you go, it is ALL about greed.  Didn't realize the Twinkies owner was milking it quite like that though.  Sigh.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 1, 2007, 05:26 PM »
It's looking like:

Twins get:

Phil Hughes
Melky Cabrera
And a mid-level prospect to be named

Yankees get:

Johan Santana
A world series championship

If the Red Sox won't give up Jacoby Ellsbury (instead of Coco Crisp) and Jon Lester, the Yankees should have Santana within the week.

If you ask me, and this is a Yankee fan talking here, the Sox ought to give up Ellsbury right now.  Geez, that'd give Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, and Schilling along with that offense, they'd easily be the favorites to win the World Series for the next few years.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2007, 05:27 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #215 on: December 3, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Hmmm...  sounds like the BoSox are now willing to offer either Ellsbury, Lester, or Buchholz in a deal, but not more than one.  So, we've got:

Phil Hughes
Melky Cabrera
And a mid-level prospect to be named

or

Jacoby Ellsbury (or Lester or Buchholz)
Jed Lowrie
a minor league pitcher to be named

Obviously, both Ellsbury and either Lester/Buchholz would have been a great deal better than the couple sandwich draft picks we'd get if Santana just left us at the end of 2008, but I'm not sure which deal I like if we only get one young "A-level" pick from Boston. :-\

In other "dismantling the Twins" news, from what I am reading and hearing around here it's really begining to sound like if Santana is indeed traded, it's only a matter of time before closer Joe Nathan is traded as well for a 3B prospect and more young pitching...  :'(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #216 on: December 4, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Man, I knew Cabrera was on the market, but I didn't think they'd send Dontrell Willis with him.   :o

Tigers send top prospects to Marlins for Cabrera, Willis

If Willis returns to form (and we trade Santana), that Tigers rotation is probably the strongest in the AL Central.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 5, 2007, 03:59 AM »
Man, I knew Cabrera was on the market, but I didn't think they'd send Dontrell Willis with him.   :o

Tigers send top prospects to Marlins for Cabrera, Willis

If Willis returns to form (and we trade Santana), that Tigers rotation is probably the strongest in the AL Central.

Miguel Cabrera is a total stud muffin.  But Dontrelle Willis sucks.  He's one of the most overrated pitchers on this side of Andy Pettitte.  Think of it this way, if Willis' ERA and WHIP have inflated so woefully over the past 2 years in the NL, imagine how ugly he's gonna be in the AL where ERA's tend to rise 1.00 and K's/9 tend to drop 2/game?

Lucky for him, his W-L will still be decent most likely because of the lineup he'll have behind him with Sheffield, Ordonez, Cabrera and the rest of that Detroit lineup.

But Willis totally sucks man.  Last year he was 10-15 in 35 starts, 205 IP, 5.17 ERA, 1.60 WHIP.  Opponents hit .294 against him on the season.  And this is in the NL, and with Miguel Cabrera and Hanley Ramirez run support.

About this Santana thing, from what I'm hearing the Twins have requested the medical records of Jon Lester.  IMO, the medical records of that Twins GM should have been requested instead, what the HELL are they doing?  The Yankees package of Hughes, Cabrera etc. is way better than Lester, Crisp etc.  I heard that the Twins tried to fleece the Yanks to include Ian Kennedy as well and they drew the line.  But the Yanks simply cannot allow Boston to get Santana.  This is madness.

I'm going to go have my **** fit now.  But before I do, I have to say, the Twins really need to just resign Santana.  Seriously, if you don't want the hands-down-best pitcher in baseball, who came up with your team since day 1, then what on Earth do you have a baseball team for?  Sell to someone who wants to run this thing right.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2007, 04:06 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #218 on: December 5, 2007, 11:05 AM »
I'm going to go have my **** fit now.  But before I do, I have to say, the Twins really need to just resign Santana.  Seriously, if you don't want the hands-down-best pitcher in baseball, who came up with your team since day 1, then what on Earth do you have a baseball team for?  Sell to someone who wants to run this thing right.

Exactly...how do you even think about trading the best pitcher in baseball?  Pay the guy and move on...I hate you Pohlad, I hate you so so much

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: December 5, 2007, 11:21 AM »
Think of it this way, if Willis' ERA and WHIP have inflated so woefully over the past 2 years in the NL, imagine how ugly he's gonna be in the AL where ERA's tend to rise 1.00 and K's/9 tend to drop 2/game?

Yeah, that's why I threw the "if he returns to form" bit in there.  He's had a few bad years, but the potential is there.  Plus, like you say, he should get plenty of run support and having 3-4 starts each against KC and a Santana-less Twins should help him as well.   :P

Exactly...how do you even think about trading the best pitcher in baseball?  Pay the guy and move on...I hate you Pohlad, I hate you so so much

Amen.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Mitchell's Steroid List Leaked, Disputed By MLB

The list includes former MVP's Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, Jason Giambi and Ivan Rodriguez. Former sluggers Juan Gonzalez, Albert Belle and Jeff Bagwell. The list contains two sets of brothers: Jose and Ozzie Canseco and Aaron and Bret Boone. The list includes several heralded pitchers, including Cy Young award winner Roger Clemens.

Brady Anderson
Manny Alexander
Rick Ankiel
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Aaron Boone
Rafael Bettancourt
Bret Boone
Milton Bradley
David Bell
Dante Bichette
Albert Belle
Paul Byrd
Wil Cordero
Ken Caminiti
Mike Cameron
Ramon Castro
Jose Canseco
Ozzie Canseco
Roger Clemens
Paxton Crawford
Wilson Delgado
Lenny Dykstra
Johnny Damon
Carl Everett
Kyle Farnsworth
Ryan Franklin
Troy Glaus
Rich Garces
Jason Grimsley
Juan Gonzalez
Eric Gagne
Nomar Garciaparra
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Jose Guillen
Jay Gibbons
Juan Gonzalez
Clay Hensley
Jerry Hairston
Felix Heredia, Jr.
Darren Holmes
Wally Joyner
Darryl Kile
Matt Lawton
Raul Mondesi
Mark McGwire
Guillermo Mota
Robert Machado
Damian Moss
Abraham Nunez
Trot Nixon
Jose Offerman
Andy Pettitte
Mark Prior
Neifi Perez
Rafael Palmiero
Albert Pujols
Brian Roberts
Juan Rincon
John Rocker
Pudge Rodriguez
Sammy Sosa
Scott Sc hoenweiis
David Segui
Alex Sanchez
Gary Sheffield
Miguel Tejada
Julian Tavarez
Fernando Tatis
Maurice Vaughn
Jason Varitek
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Kerry Wood
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2007, 12:16 PM »
Sure seems to be a lot of former/current Yankees on that list ::)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 13, 2007, 12:31 PM »
Sure seems to be a lot of former/current Yankees on that list ::)

Lots of Red Sox too! Nixon, Clemens, Nomar, Vaughn, Damon, Offerman, Varitek.

Anyhow, I couldn't care less about these findings.  Big ****.

One interesting note though, with both pitchers and hitters on the list, I think excluding players from the HOF for being implicated in steroids is bogus.  Hitters faced juiced pitchers, and vice versa.

Just let them in if they have the numbers.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:42 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #223 on: December 13, 2007, 11:35 PM »
It's sick that I can no longer look at a singler player's accomplishments without wondering they were obtained legitimately.  20Ks in a game?  Who knows.  73 home runs?  Probably not.  40/40 seasons?  Hard to say.  It's a good thing I love the game of baseball so much...between this whole ongoing debacle and the stupid money owners are throwing at players, my love for the game itself it the only thing that keeps me going back.

John