Author Topic: NBA Offseason 2007  (Read 24456 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Offseason 2007
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 04:16 PM »
No argument there, but a guy who averages 30+ with a guy who averages 25+ (or so) on the same team?  I sense bad chemistry, maybe not right away, but soon enough.  After all, how will KG adapt to a guy taking bad shots when he's pretty open?  And yes, Kobe can be amazing, but I just don't see them playing well together over the long run.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 05:36 PM »
it looks like the lakers are willing to trade their present and their future for KG.   i would be surprised if the lakers were super sucessful if this trade goes thru.  you need look no farther than houston to see what happens when 2 great players have no help at all.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Now it sounds like the Garnett to Lakers business might be done.  The current chatter is that Phoenix is back in the mix with two different scenarios - one involving Boston as a third team, the other involving Atlanta.

Trade 1
Minnesota Gets:
No. 5 Pick
Undisclosed Players from Celtics/Suns

Phoenix Gets:
Kevin Garnett

Boston Gets:
Shawn Marion

Trade 2
Minnesota Gets:
No. 3 and No. 11 Picks (plus cap-friendly contracts from both teams)

Phoenix Gets:
Kevin Garnett

Atlanta Gets:
Amare Stoudemire

I'm hoping the Boston version works out, despite the fact that Marion doesn't seem to want to play there (nor does anyone else, it seems lately).  A starting five with Nash, Garnett, and Stoudemire would be pretty amazing.  As much as I like Garnett though, I don't know if I would give up Stoudemire to get him if I was Phoenix.  He's basically 10 years younger, and was 1st team All-NBA the year after his injury/surgery.  He could still have quite a bright future.  Unless it was a situation where he was going to bolt (isn't he under contract for awhile yet?) or a big problem within the team, I would hang onto Amare.  It sounds like Minny wants to get a deal done before the draft on Thursday, so we'll see how things work out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 09:54 AM »
That Hotlanta/Phoenix deal is the one I'm hoping for...3 picks in the top 11, plus a chance to sign a big free agent next year and Foye and McCants and Craig Smith.  Watch out in about 3 years.  Trade 1 supposedly involves Al Jefferson and someone from PHoenix, that would be alright too but I much prefer the 2nd one

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Yeah, from a Twolves standpoint, the Hawks deal could really help out.  It would really jump start the "rebuilding", with basically 3 picks in the top 11 this year, which is considered to be one of the strongest drafts overall for awhile I believe.  That, combined with the young talent you mentioned, and it could really be the start of something new and exciting in Minny.  It would still kind of stink to see KG go, I guess I just associate the Wolves with Garnett, as he's been there for what, 12 years now?  But, it seems like a trade is going to happen one way or another at this point, so this might be a good chance for them to just blow things up and start the youth movement.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 10:31 AM »
That Hotlanta/Phoenix deal is the one I'm hoping for...

Me too... that sounds like a killer deal to get us good young talent and some cash to buy a veteran in a year or two.  :)

It would still kind of stink to see KG go

It's funny, most people 'round here like KG and all, but it's pretty easy to part with him because the best he's ever offered us is a trip tp the Finals once.   :-\

If he'd had more success here, there might be more outcry for him to stay.  It seems like most folks are on board with him getting a chance to win someplace else while we rebuild for something more than constant 1st round playoff exits. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 11:43 AM »
That's true Jeff, and a good point.  Plus, I really don't see how its ever going to improve keeping KG and trying to build around him.  Its hard to put together contracts good/big enough to get the big name players, and plus, not many free agents look to frigid Minnesota for their first choice unfortunately.  Its usually places like Miami, L.A., Phoenix, etc.  The Atlanta deal does look good for a rebuilding project though, and one that might not take all that long if things fall in line.  As long as he doesn't go to L.A. :P

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 12:36 PM »
The Celtics would be stupid to trade away Al Jefferson ... even for Garnett.  He should be more "untouchable" than Paul Pierce, at this point.  Then again, the Celtics' front office is rather dumb, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 01:52 PM »
The Celtics would be stupid to trade away Al Jefferson ... even for Garnett.  He should be more "untouchable" than Paul Pierce, at this point.  Then again, the Celtics' front office is rather dumb, so I wouldn't put it past them.

And I think that's really the reason no one wants to go to Boston, because the management is maybe a hair brighter than New York and that ain't sayin' much.  It's really tragic to me that it's fallen to that point.  A very proud, storied franchise is now the place to NOT be.   :-\

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 02:38 PM »
And I think that's really the reason no one wants to go to Boston, because the management is maybe a hair brighter than New York and that ain't sayin' much.  It's really tragic to me that it's fallen to that point.  A very proud, storied franchise is now the place to NOT be.   :-\

Very true ... and very sad.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Agreed, good point Brent.  It would be nice to see the Celtics return to their place of prominence in the NBA - at least to a playoff-caliber team, but the management there just doesn't seem to know what they're doing.  The comment of just being a hair brighter than the Knicks is right on the mark.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 05:36 PM »
last i heard, the lakers were losing hope.  kobe has gone on record saying even if KG comes, he still wants out.  since marion doesn't want to go to boston, it seems like the Hotlanta deal is the most likely.  apparently amare wouldn't mind playing with his buddy joe johnson again that seems like the best bet.

of course, since everyone lies in the nba about trades, its anybodies guess where KG will wind up.  personally, i don't think KG for Amare makes phoenix any better, but i think that is the less popular opinion right now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 09:07 AM »
No NBA Draft talk yet?  Well, Oden 1 and Durant 2, as expected.  Actually, both of those teams were fairly busy on draft night, the Blazers in particular.  Its amazing how far they have made over that team in a couple of years, which was needed.  No Garnett trade (yet), but a few big names changing uniforms last night:

Ray Allen to the Celtics
Zach Randolph to the Knicks
Steve Francis/Channing Frye to the Blazers
Jason Richardson to the Bobcats

Apparently Golden State and Phoenix were still in the Garnett sweepstakes yesterday, but things must not have panned out on either front (or things are still being re-worked).  I noticed they talked to the Lakers (Kupchak), and although he wouldn't say anything specific, it seemed from his demeanor and comments that things between Kobe and the Lakers aren't any better.

Back to the draft, here's the Top 14 picks, just for discussion's sake:

1. Greg Oden (Portland)
2. Kevin Durant (Seattle)
3. Al Horford (Atlanta)
4. Mike Conley, Jr. (Memphis)
5. Jeff Green (Boston - traded to Seattle)
6. Yi Jianlian (Milwaukee)
7. Corey Brewer (Minnesota)
8. Brandan Wright (Charlotte - traded to Golden State)
9. Joakim Noah (Chicago)
10. Spencer Hawes (Sacramento)
11. Acie Law (Atlanta)
12. Thaddeus Young (Philadelphia)
13. Julian Wright (New Orleans)
14. Al Thornton (L.A. Clippers)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28 AM »
I thought the draft was tonight :-[  Oops, thanks for posting the information. 

I guess the most interesting aspect to me is the Celtics getting Ray Allen :o  Interesting because if he actually shows up and plays like he can, I think they just got a lot better.  I'm kind of surprised the Celtics offloaded a high draft pick like that, but with Jefferson, Pierce and Allen they should be an improved team.  I wonder if they'll make more moves too. 

The other side of that trade is the Sonics of course and that too is really interesting.  Obviously they got Durant which is great for them.  Jeff Green I guess is someone they wanted too, but the biggest question in my mind is what they'll now do with Rashard Lewis?  He's a free agent and I really was expecting them to maybe try and sign and move him, but now with Allen gone, maybe not?

Did Noah fall further than expected?  I thought he was being talked about as a top 5?

Atlanta's draft is interesting too.  I was expecting them to make moves prior to the draft but maybe the plan is afterwards.  Horford isn't that big a surprise pick really (at all?) but I hadn't heard of them having any interest in Law. 

You're right about the Blazers Brian, I'm really surprised to see that trade.  I was really expecting them to hold onto Randolph and have an imposing front court with Randolph and Oden/Durant.  Frye is ok, but not quite Randolph. 

The Jason Richardson deal is surprising too.  I'd heard recently they were moving Monta Ellis instead, but I guess not, at least until maybe a Garnett trade?

And speaking of Garnett, is Boston more appealing now that Allen is there?  Pierce/Allen/Garnett is lots of firepower (I presume Jefferson would be going the other way). 

Phoenix?  Hello?  Phoenix?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43 AM »
And speaking of Garnett, is Boston more appealing now that Allen is there?  Pierce/Allen/Garnett is lots of firepower (I presume Jefferson would be going the other way). 

I was just reading on CNNSI this morning that there are rumors that Boston is trying to get back in the "Garnett race" again now, to put that very trio together.  They would be pretty formidable I would think, especially in the East.  They may all be aging, but they've still got plenty left in the tank.  I saw some of the analysts on ESPN last night were kind of criticizing the Celtics for trading for Allen, since he's 32.  I can see the age thing, but the type of player he is, he just seems to fit as a Celtic.  Good community guy, good team mate from what I hear, and a great shooter.  Either way, the Celtics should be improved, like you said.

Also improved, the Blazers.  I'm interested to see how Steve Francis fits in with things.  He's very talented, but it just seems like he's one of the worst team guys in the world.  Still, it should make for an interesting lineup with Francis, Roy, Frye, and Oden on the floor - and at least they're finally getting away from the jailblazers label from a few years ago.