Author Topic: Clones/Troopers...Are We Wrong?  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Clones/Troopers...Are We Wrong?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 09:20 AM »
I don't think it's a case of things repeating themself Nicklab, at least I hope not.

Back in the end of the ROTJ era, the people interested in this stuff were moving onto other things - GI JOE, Transformers, He-Man, etc.  Star Wars pretty much died out because there wasn't the type of media there is today.

Now we've got not only the internet to keep things interesting, but a lot of the market is adult collectors who are devoted to Star Wars.  I don't think we're going to drop the line for some other brand of toys; at least not as long as Hasbro continues to put out quality in their line, and we have things like Force Unleashed, the Clone Wars and the live TV series coming around.  I'd say the Force is a lot stronger now than it was after ROTJ and has a lot of momentum going towards these exciting Expanded Universe adventures; and that EU might be the future of Star Wars. 

There might be some buildup of army builders right now at retail, but after Christmas I'm thinking we'll see most of those gone.  I remember people thinking the line would end by 2007, but it seems to be getting even bigger; especially with a new generation into this stuff as well.  I've never seen kids more excited about Star Wars as they are now... I think this is only the beginning of another great 5-10 years of this hobby.

Well said. Amazing what 25 years can do to a line.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30 AM »
There were EU options back in the day.  Anyone remember Droids and Ewoks?  Or the Ewoks tv projects?  Lucasfilm was trying to keep the franchise alive back then, too.  They migh be more successful this time around since their aim isn't at a kids market this time around.

As for competition at retail?  There's still a good deal of that going on.  Transformers, various Super Hero properties, military figures and the like are providing a good deal of competition for pegspace at retail.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Yeah there's competition - in a way Hasbro's own competition is itself I suppose with all the lines they carry now.

But Ewoks/Droids were so much directed at toddlers it seems... especially Ewoks.  I felt like it was almost a version of Care Bears... I never bought any of those as a kid.  Droids was more my thing, but I only had a couple figures. 

Star Wars just seemed to lose a lot of momentum with me after Vader died... I was still into it for almost a year, but I remember He-Man really caught my attention and more exciting to me as a 6-7 year old... but now with the timeline that is starting to really be explored more in Star Wars, it's getting into the era of complete Imperial domination; and we all seem to love Imperials. 

And back in the day, I'm sure there were some adults into this stuff but now a huge percentage of the market is people age 25-35, and we have a disposable income to put towards Star Wars stuff.  We're reliving our childhood through this and for a lot of people their favorite toys as a kid were Star Wars... and I think that ROTS did so much for Star Wars in appealing to a more mature audience, and unless the next themes are poorly executed, I don't see Star Wars dying down anytime soon.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 10:45 AM »
I know this is somewhat off topic but i really wish hasbro would revisit the Droids and Ewoks characters now. Update the characters look and include them in the regular line. EU is very popular now, seems to be going better than their first 2 attempts at doing EU figures (again i wish hasbro would revisit Shadows of the Empire).
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 11:00 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing those remade either actually.  I'm not sure how popular some of them would be; I'd think that DROIDS ones would have a better following though.  Since you bring it up here's a cool update to Fett that Phruby put together -