Author Topic: EE "Elite Forces of the Republic" 14-Figure Set  (Read 133784 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: EE "Mystery Pack" 14-Figure Set
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2007, 10:15 AM »
I have to admit that I really like the set. Can't wait for it to ship.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Now featuring packaged images:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87467AA

(No, these aren't in-house samples I got to mess with yet, unfortunately.  Can't wait to see the finals up close and personal.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Thanks for the update Adam.

I know some people are pumped about these, but I think they look worse each time I see them.  They're just goofy, too much like the Shadow concepts that Hasbro has done with the clones in my opinion. 

Glad I didn't order them because I have no idea what I'd find useful out of this set...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I have these on order but am not too excited about them. I wish they were "real" EU characters. It would have made the set much more appealing.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2007, 03:11 PM »
I have these on order but am not too excited about them. I wish they were "real" EU characters. It would have made the set much more appealing.

Well, as you probably know, some are and some aren't (or aren't yet).   Omega Squad is very much a real part of the Expanded Universe and has been around for a while, plus has actually been requested by some fans.   The Mandalorians are mostly new, but they'll be in some of the books eventually.  I know it's not the same thing-- it's more fun to get a character you already know than one you haven't met yet-- but from the brief time I had to futz with the samples, I dug 'em.   (Especially now that it seems they made some improvements to them.)

But yeah, buy what you like.  The entire collection is just so vast where sometimes it pays to be picky.   I still don't really have a place for my Darth Malak figure outside saying "welp, I got it..."

I figure the "skull" clones are going to be serving as squad leaders for my white Clone Troopers.  As they need some sort of organization.
--AP

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I know some people are pumped about these, but I think they look worse each time I see them.  They're just goofy, too much like the Shadow concepts that Hasbro has done with the clones in my opinion.

Now there's something we can agree on.  This set could have been so cool but completely fell flat on its face IMO.  The price-point is nice for the quantity, but I'd much rather have had an 8 pack of actual EU characters for the same price, than a 14 pack with a bunch of black Scorches and a handful of Hasbro's creative team's heads thrown on some generic Mandalorian bodies.

Big time disappointment.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:23 PM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2007, 05:29 PM »
So is that a pass for you Rob?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Thanks for the update Adam.

Glad I didn't order them because I have no idea what I'd find useful out of this set...

The worst part is that the helmets on the mandos are too small for the heads and necks.  They look really bad.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2007, 06:18 PM »
The worst part is that the helmets on the mandos are too small for the heads and necks.  They look really bad.

I read in one of the QnA's that this got corrected before production..
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2007, 06:26 PM »
I read in one of the QnA's that this got corrected before production..

They did, it seems.  You can tell in the new photos we posted that they're a smidge larger.
--AP

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33 PM »
So is that a pass for you Rob?

I've got just about every single sculpt ever made loose.  So I did not pass.  But I feel so dirty for it, that I'm strongly considering giving up this little requirement of mine...  Even worse than this set is the Battlefront set.  That thing is atrocious.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2007, 07:07 PM »
*un-lurks*

I think somebody should update the thread title, since the contents have been known for quite some time.

*goes back to lurking*
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2007, 08:00 PM »

Well, as you probably know, some are and some aren't (or aren't yet).   Omega Squad is very much a real part of the Expanded Universe and has been around for a while, plus has actually been requested by some fans.   The Mandalorians are mostly new, but they'll be in some of the books eventually.  I know it's not the same thing-- it's more fun to get a character you already know than one you haven't met yet-- but from the brief time I had to futz with the samples, I dug 'em.   (Especially now that it seems they made some improvements to them.)

But yeah, buy what you like.  The entire collection is just so vast where sometimes it pays to be picky.   I still don't really have a place for my Darth Malak figure outside saying "welp, I got it..."

I figure the "skull" clones are going to be serving as squad leaders for my white Clone Troopers.  As they need some sort of organization.

I understand that the Omega Squad is in EU, but the sets were billed as Mandalorian sets. If by some chance a Jodo Kast or Jaster Mareel were included I would be psyched for the sets. Like i said, i still have them on order but was more excited when we didnt know who was included.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: EE "Elite Forces of the Republic" 14-Figure Set
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2007, 08:30 PM »
« Last Edit: Today at 06:33 PM by Jeff »

Danke.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2007, 08:57 PM »
I understand that the Omega Squad is in EU, but the sets were billed as Mandalorian sets. If by some chance a Jodo Kast or Jaster Mareel were included I would be psyched for the sets. Like i said, i still have them on order but was more excited when we didnt know who was included.

These first appeared online and in the Entertainment Earth catalog as "Mystery Figure Sets," with the only figure revealed just happening to be a Mandalorian.   I don't believe these were ever billed by Entertainment Earth as "Mandalorian Set" but you may have seen them referred to as such on some fan sites here and there.  The Clone Troopers started being revealed a few weeks later, it just seems that the assumption spread by then.  (Plus one can cancel one's pre-order at any time.)

Here's hoping you dig 'em if/when you get 'em!
--AP