Author Topic: The Sy Snootles Project (not a new band name!)  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
The Sy Snootles Project (not a new band name!)
« on: June 2, 2007, 10:14 PM »
I sometimes call myself the Bitter Old Purist (or BOP  :p) when it comes to SW collecting, because I just refuse to accept the changes of the Special Editions as well as the entire Prequels themselves!  Basically, I only collect film merchandise as if only the OT as it originally appeared was in existence.  Anyway, (rant over) I didn't like that the only option for Sy Snootles was the vintage figure or the CGI cartoon version.  I've had the vintage one among my modern figures for years now, then finally decided to try to upgrade.  I started with the figure exactly like this:

The first thing I did was take an x-acto blade and cut her legs in half at the knee.  I then drilled very small holes in all 4 limb pieces, and inserted a thin metal rod to lengthen her legs. In the second pic, you can see the piece of fabric that would eventually be the base for her skirt.

Before I super-glued the rods in the legs, I boiled Sy and removed the vintage feather from her head as well as straighten her trunk somewhat so it wouldn't curl upwards as much.  I then sculpied some mid-leg area as close as I could get to the reference photo.  Once hardened in the oven, I applied a base coat of tan as the darker shade of skin tone.

I then drybrushed yellow over her body, painted her eyes (with eyelashes too), horn, lips, and carefully applied the blue spots all over.  Oh, and I dirtied up her feet like in the reference pic!

Finished results on the next post!
« Last Edit: June 2, 2007, 10:17 PM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: The Sy Snootles Project (not a new band name!)
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2007, 10:16 PM »
First I added a small real feather in place of the plastic one, then put the fabric skirt back on, cutting off pieces, adding string, adding, little bits of fabric and a couple of tiny beads, and painted where appropriate.  The last pic is with the band, but I hope to make a proper diorama later in the year!

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2007, 04:49 PM »
That is a huge improvement over the newer version. I like the idea of extending the legs. The paint job is top notch.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2007, 04:48 PM »
I didn't even know Sy was underscaled as a figure. Not only that attention to detail makes yours outstanding, but the paintwork and skirt/feather are incredible! Truly very impressive...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Wow, that's really great. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to try that someday as a have probably a half dozen Vintage Sys in various states of decomp in my extra bin.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing, another awesome custom! Looks straight out of the movie (the original one!).
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Saw this yesterday on scum, and just wanted to say its a huge improvement.
Beautifully done. Disagree with your stance on the prequels, but love the custom!!   ;)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Very cool custom "upgrade"  Its neat seeing older figures like this get a face lift, so to speak.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2007, 07:18 PM »
great revamp & improvement on that old figure.

the repaint and leg extensions look great. much more realistic and modern. but waht really stands out to me is the skirt you made for her! :o wow, that thing is just amazing. i know you said you cut it up and added string, beads, paint etc. but it looks so life like and real, you really did an outstanding on it! great work.......
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."