Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2007  (Read 42835 times)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2007
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2007, 01:09 PM »

I wonder - if Brady continues on his 4-5 TD/game pace, is he the undisputed #1 pick in next year's fantasy draft?

Brady's value next year would have to be tied to what happens to Moss in this offseason. With our scoring system, I'm still not sure I would take him in front of a handful of running backs.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Chances are we're looking at a Patriots Super Bowl victory over the Cowboy or Giants, and Moss will be happy as a pig in slop, and be back next season.  Now that Belichick has discovered this formula, I'm sure if Moss left it'd be some other high profile/tall WR to take his place alongside Welker/Stallworth.

The Patriots have basically abandoned the running game almost completely.  Opponents know Brady's throwing on every down and they can't stop him.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I read a little line this morning that made me laugh:

"We're all playing for second place"

I mean... did you watch that Patriots game last night? In Buffalo, against a hot Bills team, in front of a crowd that honestly had nothing better to do than spend the whole day drinking... and they rolled them up 56-10.

Resistance is futile. And if you get them into a 4th and 1 at the 7-yard-line when they're ahead 42-10, they're going for it, and you can stand and yell and boo and scream whatever you want at Belichick and Brady and everyone else, but they're still going to score a touchdown. You know why? Because **** you, that's why.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Which begs the question - is it wrong (morally and/or ethically) to drive the score up?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2007, 06:20 PM »
Nah.

Everyone called them cheaters - so they're serving notice that they can kick your ass for 60 straight minutes without their video tapes.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Nah.

Everyone called them cheaters - so they're serving notice that they can kick your ass for 60 straight minutes without their video tapes.

They are cheaters.  At least Belichick is.  If they weren't, they wouldn't have lost their draft picks.

And the info gathered from those tapes were, are, and will probably be helping them for games to come.

Exactly to what extent they have been benefiting from their illegal actions, we may never know.  But the fines and penalties handed out is a clue:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell considered suspension but in the end fined the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for illegal use of sideline video equipment, announcing $750,000 in penalties Thursday night and the forfeiture of one or more top draft choices.
Belichick was fined $500,000, while the franchise will pay $250,000 more. If the high-powered Patriots make the playoffs, they will lose their first-round draft choice. They must surrender second- and third-round choices if they fail to qualify for the postseason.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:37 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2007, 06:44 PM »
They're about to be cheaters with a fresh Superbowl Trophy, and potentially a 19-0 season where they crush most of the major offensive records. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2007, 08:06 PM »
They're about to be cheaters with a fresh Superbowl Trophy, and potentially a 19-0 season where they crush most of the major offensive records. 

And a lot asterisks.

2007 Superbowl Champions*

Tom Brady NFL MVP*

Passing records*

Touchdown records*

And no first round pick in the draft.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Oh they still have a 1st rounder - from the Niner's, and it'll probably be a top 5 pick.

The F-You to the rest of the world continues.

In the meantime, almost no one (Boston-hating New Yorkers aside) is talking about the video taping thing anymore.  Hardly anyone cares.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:38 PM by Rob »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2007, 09:40 AM »

And a lot asterisks.

2007 Superbowl Champions*

Tom Brady NFL MVP*

Passing records*

Touchdown records*

And no first round pick in the draft.

Wow, who knew Don Shula posted here?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 2, 2007, 11:00 PM »
I know I'm probably going to lose when Romo, Moss, Grant, Crayton, and Clark are sitting around waiting for the playoffs to start, but 98 points with Randy Moss to go sure is a lot of fun.   8)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 3, 2007, 04:22 PM »
I know I'm probably going to lose when Romo, Moss, Grant, Crayton, and Clark are sitting around waiting for the playoffs to start, but 98 points with Randy Moss to go sure is a lot of fun.   8)

Which brings us back to the vote in the beginning of this thread.

Other than for purposes of just disagreeing with Dressel, I'm not sure what you did that for.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 3, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Maybe because he couldn't predict how well his team would do?  He wanted Rivers for his QB remember?  I helped him out by not taking Romo.  Everyone prior to the start of the season thought Moss was still going to be a cancer in the locker room.  Crayton was a #3 on Dallas.  Grant who?  Oh Ryan Grant, the GB running back?  Yeah, we all knew he was a stud. 

I don't think anyone ignored it just to spite Dressel, in spite of what your ego might tell you.  I think everyone ignored it for two reasons: 
1. We're all in the same boat.  No one knows at the start of the season who'll be in the playoffs.  Of course you'll probably chime in and tell me you absolutely knew that Green Bay was going to be 10-2 at this point in the season.
2. It's a crap shoot regardless of when the playoffs start, unless we go to running them from weeks 10-13 and even then people might find reason to complain about the finals being in week 13 because guys are going to be sat. 

If he (and you really) want to brag about who had the best team, let the regular season be the measuring stick.  Getting a virtual trophy not showing up in your yahoo profile is painful, no doubt about it, but I think Rob will live through it.   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 3, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Indeed.  My rationale was entirely that having the championship game the last week would mean one more week of fantasy football - that was really all there was to it.

After saying we should leave it this way, I then also qualified that it wasn't a big deal and that I'd be cool with whatever the group wanted.

And we're all in the same boat entirely.  Maybe the teams with the bye decide to play them week 17 to keep them from having 3 weeks in between games.

Maybe I end up playing Jamie that week and he's without Brady...

Whatever it is, it will be fair, even if it doesn't work out favorably for me.

« Last Edit: December 3, 2007, 05:09 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 3, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I'm picking one of the following to win the league this year:

Cranes
Golden Girls
Canuckleheads
Cornballers

Only because it'll drive Dressel completely nuts. 

Hey, aren't I the commissioner?  Hmm.... how can I fix this? :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.