Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" IG-88  (Read 9072 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
30AC "Vintage" IG-88
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Just thinking out loud some...  I was playing around with one of my new IG-88 figures, and started removing all his greeblies that make him extra cool and "layered" looking.  If you remove him down to the bare figure basically, I was thinking what a nice base for a super articulated IG-Lancer Droid this figure could be.

Whip up a swoop for him, a lance, case him in black with some paint highlights (very few really), throw him on the bike...

I dunno, that seems pretty easy and I'd be perfectly content with this figure as the base I think.  It's so modular as well, that if you were to want to modify a specific part of the sculpt to be possibly more accurate, I don't think it would be difficult at all either.  I don't have an IG Lancer Droid pic to compare well with the figure at the moment, but I don't see why this would be a problem.

That's one of the main Clone Wars figures I'd love to see, so I hope Hasbro's considering this as a possibility for the future.  Love those lancer droids.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: V30AC IG-88 = Nifty Base For IG Lancer Droids
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Yeah all you have to do is take one thing off & Hasbro has an easy to re-paint Lancer droid in their hands. I'm hoping these guys appear in the new show, so we have a sure fire chance of getting a figure of it.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:22 AM »
The only changes needed that I can think of, aside from those already mentioned, would be new upper arms with pointed shoulders and a new head. I would like to see two of these figures in a Treachery on Saleucami style Battle Pack, with two droids and two swoop bikes. Maybe Hasbro could make a BP wave based around this scene, with another set containing two Clone Troopers and two swoop/speeder bikes and a third set with Durge(Clone Wars Deluxe repaint), Obi Wan in Clone armor, and two swoop/speeder bikes.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Good point Greg. Definately need those pointed shoulders!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Of course, Hasbro would just give us a straight repaint *cough*Elite Corps trooper*cough*

But you do make a good point, JJ, and for it to be a lancer droid it would have to have the head and shoulders as Greg suggested. A white IG-72 repaint would also be cool as seen in the junk assembly line thingy with the Ugnaughts. Maybe a junk assemby line thingy accesory would be cool to come with that one.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 06:12 PM »

I think it would be doable...  The figure itself is very modular in design so new shoulders/head wouldn't be a problem.  Remember too that the cartoon's representation doesn't necessarilly translate 100% to a figure either.  There is a certain artistic license I think, that would act as a buffer.  I'd give up the shoulders if the head were accurate.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 06:51 PM »
I believe that the pointed shoulders are necessary for a figure to be an accurate representation of the character, as they appear in several sources(SW insider and Clone Wars cartoons and comics). I believe that only the shoulders, head, and maybe the chest area would have to be changed on the VTAC IG-88 to make a perfect IG Lancer Droid. Did Hasbro make IG-88 the way they did intentionally? Hopefully we find out at Comic Con.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I believe that the pointed shoulders are necessary for a figure to be an accurate representation of the character, as they appear in several sources(SW insider and Clone Wars cartoons and comics). I believe that only the shoulders, head, and maybe the chest area would have to be changed on the VTAC IG-88 to make a perfect IG Lancer Droid. Did Hasbro make IG-88 the way they did intentionally? Hopefully we find out at Comic Con.

Yep, I agree.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 12:28 AM »
The basic chassis of the VTAC IG-88 might be good for an IG Lancer droid.  It looks like the arms and legs match up pretty well, as does the lower torso.  But the upper torso, shoulders and head would have to be reworked considerably.  As least based on this image.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 04:52 AM »
That picture of the lancer droid is cool. It looks like the lance arm is different too. Almost like the lance is part of the arm. Or is that a brace like in the old knight days where they had a loop on the forearm to hold that lance as well as the hand? Anyway a very cool picture. I would love to see Hasbro make one of these. Plus we would get a new swoop bike to boot.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 04:10 PM »
The good thing is the very modular design of IG-88 again.  His shoulders themselves are a single piece for instance, that the bicep and torso both attach to, so sculpting new shoulders wouldn't be an issue of having to sculpt whole new arms or whatnot.  Same with the head, the upper torso, or really any part of the figure.  That's either really lucky should they go this route, or very carefully thought-out design for re-use of this figure.

With CW on the radar of Hasbro, I think either one is equally possible, but I do hope the figure's coming.  One of my favorites from the cartoon for sure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
IG-88's Mines Removable? Not Really.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Yakface asked a question this week about IG-88's little mines/explosives on his belt being removable.  Hasbro's answer is a bit misleading and may lead to some damaged goods...

From the Q&A Archiave:
Q:  There are small, round detonators attached to the belt/bandolier, are all or some of them intended to be removable?

A:  Yes, all of the detonators are intended to be removable.

So I decided to take to one of my extra IG-88's because I'm just a selfless guy like that for all of you, and while the detonators CAN be removed, it takes boiling water to do it.  The mines/detonators are glued to the belt, however they are indeed separately cast pieces.  The mine has a hole in it and the bandoleer has a tiny pin that the mine plugs into.  However in production, the mines are glued to the belt with very powerful glue.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THEM WITHOUT BOILING!!!

I pryed at one a little bit and noticed that they are two separate pieces, however the mine was ripping the tiny peg it plugs into.  The hot water loosened the other two mines but I didn't attempt removing the one I took to prying due to the weakened peg.  I got the other two mines off and they do reattach (if not a little fragile, and easily popped off).

The mines are cool little accessories, and I dig them.  As a collector it's neat.  Hasbro clearly intended these to be removable, however they are getting glued on at the factory, and Hasbro's glue isn't known for weakness. ;)  So beware removing your mines if you intend to do so.  You could break the pegs.  Customizers should have an easy enough time but others may find it a little tricky.

I boiled water in my customizing hot-pot and submerged the bandoleer for a couple minutes, removed it and they came off relatively easily...  But I was extra careful in removing them as well.  Beware if it's something you give a try.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: IG-88's Mines Removable? Not Really.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:46 PM »
That happened to me when I was shooting pics for the guide. The top most one on the shoulder came off fine (for me), but the next one down was glued and the peg snapped off inside the mine. I didn't bother trying the third one at that point.

Note the mine in his claw

Essentially my experience with the figure lead me to asking the question for this week. Seems like a few things were lost in translation with the folks in the Far East when it came to this figure, as cool as it is.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:47 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:57 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna carefully remove all 3 for my "keeper" IG-88's for dioramas and things.  I dig it, but clearly they weren't intended to be removed by someone, while someone else must've wanted them removable. :)  Freaky.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Hasbro's pullig a Rick "yes, there are two different versions of ROTS" McCallum in order for people to damage their 88's so they have to buy a new one. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."