Author Topic: Lego 2008  (Read 52425 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lego 2008
« Reply #60 on: April 1, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Brian - I don't have that set but TRU is charging $59.99 for the same set at there stores (even though it's sold out online - but I could swear I saw it for $49.99)  I've never paid full price for any LEGO sets outside of the $10 army builder sets.  With that said, I'm holding out for a sale somewhere or I'll probably just forget about this one.  I think I've said it before, but my advice is to stay away especially if you're on a budget and trying to cut back.

...just my 2 cents   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 1, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Brian this is pretty much a reissue set of the previous X-Wing sets.  It is a nice set, the only difference is that they included a different set of minifigures, Hoth theme this time.  This set is exclusive to TRU which is also being sold at the Lego stores.  My advice is if you want this set, now is the time to buy it at the Lego store.  I don't think this one around all that much longer and once it gets retired you can expect to pay about 20% more on Ebay overnight.  As iFett stated Lego is like crack so buyer beware.

Here is a review of the set from Eurobricks.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22051

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 2, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Now I remeber this set...it does have a small advantage over the previous X-wing:  you can change the bricks on the wings so that it can either be Luke or Wedge's X-wing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 2, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Brian - I don't have that set but TRU is charging $59.99 for the same set at there stores (even though it's sold out online - but I could swear I saw it for $49.99)  I've never paid full price for any LEGO sets outside of the $10 army builder sets.  With that said, I'm holding out for a sale somewhere or I'll probably just forget about this one.  I think I've said it before, but my advice is to stay away especially if you're on a budget and trying to cut back.

...just my 2 cents   :)

I think that is excellent advice, and its one of those situations where I should know better and just stay away.  I likely don't have the room to display them anyways, but I've always sort of been interested in LEGO and thought I might pick up a set or two to tinker around with.  I'm still on the fence with this one, but I might wait and see what comes of that rumored "Midi scale" Falcon that I read about at FBTB.net.  I've always wanted a Falcon, and it sounds like this might be a more affordable/displayable version.

Otherwise, I'm also thinking about just sticking to attempting to pick up the other Original Trilogy MINI sets.  I grabbed a Falcon back when it was released, and really liked it.  Sure, they are simple to assemble, but kind of fun and easy to display.  I also always wanted to get a small lineup of the main character minifigs from the OT (Han/Luke/Leia/Chewie/Vader/R2/3PO/etc.), but I realize those can also get pricey depending on rarity.  I might go that route instead for now, unless I find a deal on something.  The LEGO stuff just looks so neat, and I think it would be fun, but for someone like me I'd likely have to collect just that to have the money/space for it.  Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Marshallmario

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 3, 2009, 11:28 AM »
  Hi! Just to throw in my 2 cents...Legos are awesome! Buy the X-wing, you will love it. For someone who enjoys collecting as much as you do...you deserve it and will not regret it. Lego's hold their value better than anything I have ever collected. Save the box, instructions and inserts and you can get your money back anytime. Sorry to be an enabler but they just are soooo much fun!

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Random rave:  kudos to whomever designed/ wrote instructions for the newer battle packs.

We've been picking up the $9.99 "battle packs" that have been out for the last 1-2 years (going back to the 30th anniversery packaging).  These are the ones that come with like 5 troopers and a mini-rig type custom design.  We'd been building them with my oldest (he just had his 5th birthday), but he had always needed a fair amount of help...

Not so with the newer 8015 pack (IG-Assassin droids).  The improvements are subtle, but very clever and very significant:  fewer peices added per step, distinctive colors for the hidden, interior peices (obvious which peices are new in each step, easy to find from the pile), and there's even one step where a single-stud peice is added just to keep the correct spacing of other pieces obvious.  It's not a simpler design, it's just designed with instruction-clarity in mind. 

It all made a BIG difference (plus, I guess he's older now), and he was actually able to put the thing together unsupervised!  Great experience.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Found the Republic Tank at Target this morning at NCF $49.99.  Freak sighting?  I missed that three week window at Christmas so I was happy to pick this sucker up.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Found the Republic Tank at Target this morning at NCF $49.99.  Freak sighting?  I missed that three week window at Christmas so I was happy to pick this sucker up.

Not a freak sighting, Lego did another batch.  They should also be hitting the Lego stores.  I found six at a local Target in my area.

Offline A.J.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11 AM »

Not a freak sighting, Lego did another batch.  They should also be hitting the Lego stores.  I found six at a local Target in my area.
I didn't get it last year so maybe now I will.  :)

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 9, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Just cracked open "Indiana Jones - Race for the Stolen Treasure", set 7622, that I've had in mothballs since I bought it in 2008.

This has got to be one of the best sets I've ever put together (actually my six year old put it together).  Cool pieces.  Really cool cargo truck canopy.  Super set for $30 (five years ago).

I've been busting open a bunch of older sets now that my son is old enough to build them.  Some have aged poorly, but this one is really cool.

Although I did have a little "openers remorse" when I looked it up on eBay and saw one sold for $80 the other day.

I've got a few other Indiana Jones sets stored away that I'm tempted to crack open tonight and see if they're as cool as this one.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 9, 2013, 04:20 PM »
I bet it was worth more than $80 to share the experience with your son.  ;)