Author Topic: Series 9  (Read 84809 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Series 9
« Reply #330 on: June 18, 2009, 12:16 AM »
Is this a good deal?

I think it's fair - not great.  There was a Shaak Ti for $80 BIN for several weeks, but the seller wanted $30 shipping.  That would have actually been a few bucks cheaper.  Might even still be out there if you search for it.  On the flip side, I think you'll be hard pressed to find this for $100 or less, so it's not that much more.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2009, 03:17 AM »
Is this a good deal?

I think it's fair - not great.  There was a Shaak Ti for $80 BIN for several weeks, but the seller wanted $30 shipping.  That would have actually been a few bucks cheaper.  Might even still be out there if you search for it.  On the flip side, I think you'll be hard pressed to find this for $100 or less, so it's not that much more.

I say it's a good deal too & shipping is not to high. That other one with the shipping of $30 from Hong Kong is way to bloody high. No one is going to pay that.

Offline bigj22

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2009, 09:42 AM »
the reason and only reason sellers charge for examply 30.00 for shipping out a Kub is to save money on Ebay fees. It also looks appealing when you see it priced lower than any other one. My experience with one went like this:  I bought a chase figure Shaak for 75.00 but to my own fault did not pay attention to the shipping cost. It said 45.00, I thought it said 4.50. This seller was from the U.S.  Anyways, when he invoiced me , I emailed him back and he said that was the cost for " handling and supplies " Well I contacted Ebay about this. I said how can it cost 45.00 for a cardboard box or a padded envelope? They told me that it is against Ebay policies to overcharge shipping. I then paid the 45.00 and after I received my figure, I filed a complaint. I ended up getting 35.00 back. I have watched his auctions since and now his shipping cost is now fair. So I am sure he was notified of the policy.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Is this a good deal?

I say it's a good deal too & shipping is not to high. That other one with the shipping of $30 from Hong Kong is way to bloody high. No one is going to pay that.

Well actually, I would rather pay $80 + $30 shipping versus $115 + $2 shipping.   ;)

That tactic of paying the heavy shipping, then filing a complaint is intriguing.  I've always tried to get them to lower it up front, unsuccessfully.  I could see going that route over the second auction at $117 - even if you didn't get any money back, you ended up with a pretty fair price. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21 PM »
the reason and only reason sellers charge for examply 30.00 for shipping out a Kub is to save money on Ebay fees. It also looks appealing when you see it priced lower than any other one.
Due to the point in the second sentence, I disagree with your argument in the first sentence ;)

Yeah, eBay/Paypal fees are killer, but they won't be $30-40 for a $120 item.  The main reason I think foreign sellers in particular do this, is to deceive buyers such as yourself who don't notice the crazy expensive shipping.  I actually don't like the idea of filing a complaint to get the money back.  Though you can take issue with what the seller is doing, I say report the guy if you don't agree.  If you notice the price and bid, then you should feel responsible for paying what you agree to, IMO.  If you actually don't notice the crazy "shipping" cost before bidding, but do notice before paying, then I would contact the seller first.  If he was willing to let you out of paying, I would let it go, if not, then and only then would I justify filing a dispute.  Just my perspective, though.

Personally, I try to charge about $2 extra in my "shipping" costs on items I sell on eBay just to cover a part of my fees.  As eBay keeps raising fees, I understand the need to pass the buck to the customer (why do we have sales tax, after all?).  But extreme price gouging on shipping is pretty despicable, IMO.  Apart from deceiving customers, eBay does deserve something for the service it provides, and until a real competitor shows up, if you don't like the fees, then I say, don't list auctions.  EBay sucks, but sellers shouldn't screw them over just because eBay screws sellers over.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Personally, I try to charge about $2 extra in my "shipping" costs on items I sell on eBay just to cover a part of my fees.  As eBay keeps raising fees, I understand the need to pass the buck to the customer (why do we have sales tax, after all?).  But extreme price gouging on shipping is pretty despicable, IMO.  Apart from deceiving customers, eBay does deserve something for the service it provides, and until a real competitor shows up, if you don't like the fees, then I say, don't list auctions.  EBay sucks, but sellers shouldn't screw them over just because eBay screws sellers over.

So you accurately pay federal taxes on all the stuff you sell on Ebay, right?  Just want to make sure.   ;)

Personally, I don't view someone selling something at $50 and charging $50 shipping any differently than them selling at $100 with free shipping.  If it costs me $100, it costs me $100. End of story.  I've tried to work with Ebay on a few instances where sellers were charging ridiculous $25+ shipping for loose figs that shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks.  I even pointed out that the sellers were trying to avoid paying Ebay fees and Ebay did NOTHING about it.  I'd rather be putting the dollars back into the sellers's hands than lining Ebay's pockets anyway.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2009, 03:26 PM »
For those who are interested........

The auction for Shaak Ti was changed to a BIN of $125 with free shipping and was snapped up (not by me though)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:29 PM by AndyG »

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2009, 04:22 PM »
So you accurately pay federal taxes on all the stuff you sell on Ebay, right?  Just want to make sure.   ;)
Fortunately, the federal government still hasn't forced many online retailers to pay sales tax (this seems only to apply to state laws regarding in-state sales, as far as I have seen).  If this changes (as I have read it might), and applies to eBay, then that might be one more reason not to sell on eBay at all.  I already spend upwards of 20% of a final selling price with all the eBay fees.  Throw another 9-10% on top of that, and I don't see much reason to sell there.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:22 PM by karamazov80 »

Offline icruise

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Mighty Jabba's Collection
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44 PM »
I believe he's referring to the fact that you're supposed to declare on your income tax stuff like the profit made by selling things online. This is a separate issue from sales tax, which as private individuals we aren't required to collect.  I doubt that many people actually do declare this stuff though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:45 PM by icruise »

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Oh.  I hadn't heard of that, honestly.  I get my taxes done by H&R Block, and they never even brought it up  ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16 PM »
That is because "profit" is subjective.   When you factor in what you actually paid vs what you make above and beyond what you actually paid as times you lose on items I doubt in the end the casual ebayer needs to worry

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I doubt in the end the casual ebayer needs to worry

Yet we should.  Because it could all change at any time.  In NY State there is a slot on the state income tax form where you are supposed to declare and pay sales and use tax on items you purchased out of state for use in NY.  Drive to PA and buy clothes where they don't collect sales tax, pay NY.  Buy a TV in Vermont and bring it home, pay NY.

Sounds ridiculous to me but it's just one small step away from having to collect sales tax on items, and I don't think that the states will care if you sold something at a loss, they're going to want their cut.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 22, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Not sure how ridiculous it is or not.  In Canada, we pay "customs fees" on toys we bring into the country.  Granted not ever box gets hit, but every box is eligible and those customs fees are nothing more than the taxes we'd pay on that item were we to purchase it here. 

Ebay sellers are also expected to pay federal GST tax on their sales in Canada.  Thus far they aren't targeting casual sellers, but anyone with a store on ebay is expected to pay tax and I guarantee someone is watching and keeping track. 

That is because "profit" is subjective.   When you factor in what you actually paid vs what you make above and beyond what you actually paid as times you lose on items I doubt in the end the casual ebayer needs to worry

You'd have to factor in time and fuel costs into the item as well.  Those would be legitimate expenses, so I'd agree with Scott that the profit is in most cases quite minimal.  It's what makes sellers of most Star Wars or Hot Wheels toys on ebay laughable.  Factor in your time, fuel, ebay fees, paypal fees and the profit margin is basically nil. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Closed the book on Series 9 tonight by picking up a Zam chase.  She has become my new highest priced single Kubrick, taking over for the L-Slot chase I bought a few months ago.  It was more than I initially wanted to spend, but I had the extra cash from selling some other items, so I'm glad to finally get this one.

Sorry Jeff, I was going to take your 400% Boba Fett off your hands, but decided to get this figure instead.  Hopefully you'll still have it when I save up enough $ again.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 24, 2009, 11:10 PM »
I can sell you a Yakface for less than that.  ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.