Author Topic: Darth Maul with Sith Speeder Box Set  (Read 37629 times)

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
Re: MCC Darth Maul with Sith Speeder Box Set
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Bummer.  I have a neighbor from Japan, she might be able to help me out.  Anyone know how to get into the club?
Bummer - Any help too would be great! And Better yet, whats the ordering limit for these  ;)

One per address inside Japan.
Plus its a lottery system for Medicom Club memebers, you send in a request to buy it and they take names out of a big Kubrick style hat(that last part is speculation on my part, the hat that is)

MD
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 3, 2008, 10:31 AM »
So my Japanese neighbor is looking into this for me.  From what she has told me the website doesn't mention a club per se but just that a lottery system will be used for the drawing.  As far as she's told me, there is one request per address (Japan address required) and the lottery draw will be at the end of January.

She has family still in Japan so she's going to try to get registered that way.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 6, 2008, 12:22 AM »
My contact in Japan has two names/addresses registered for the DM and Uzay Snowtroopers.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but doubt my chances are still very good.

Offline Outkast34

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 6, 2008, 02:17 AM »
My contact in Japan has two names/addresses registered for the DM and Uzay Snowtroopers.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but doubt my chances are still very good.

Good luck! It's better than most of our chances.

Offline kubricklover

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 6, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I really don't think you'll have a problem getting these sets off ebay. Medicom has been saying their stuff is limited to "X" number of pieces for a long time now and frankly, I just don't believe them. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense to say an item is "limited" because nobody is ever going to know unless they work for the company. This isn't just limited to Medicom by the way, a lot of companies do this.

Offline Outkast34

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 6, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I'm sure ebay will have them eventually, I am just worried about how much it is going to cost.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 6, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I really don't think you'll have a problem getting these sets off ebay. Medicom has been saying their stuff is limited to "X" number of pieces for a long time now and frankly, I just don't believe them. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense to say an item is "limited" because nobody is ever going to know unless they work for the company. This isn't just limited to Medicom by the way, a lot of companies do this.

I don't think there's any difficulty finding anything at all, largely because of what you say.  The hitch in the equation is the price.  Not that anyone here wants to hear it, but my buddy in Japan hooked me up with the recent box set when it first came out, at cost.  He's in Japan and got it through the club.  I paid about $50 shipped, or maybe even less, I don't recall anymore.  Anyone here can get the set providing they're willing to pay the ebay price.  That's 6x what I paid and not a very nice price.  

This stuff is as limited as the early McFarlane sportspicks chase pieces were.  If you can get them at cost, you're so far ahead of the game.  If you buy them at the peak, you're screwed, but that's how ebay thrives.  With patience, prices fall as demand does and it does for almost all collectibles that are newer (vintage stuff being different) fall in price in time.  The question is can you wait for it?  

Most of the stuff done through the club is probably more numerous than the limited items like the Droids R2, but I don't think it truly hits mass production level.  I think Medicom is keeping the buzz about the stuff while satisfying the needs of it's Japanese customers.  Solicit for purchases to determine production size, make that many plus some extras and be done with it.  No glut on the market in Japan, strong secondary market which drives many purchases in the primary market and you don't end up like McFarlane where the market is over or undersaturated. Plus you have no overstock to deal with and that's that.  Different marketing approach than typical toys it would seem.

I think BrentS will end up with his items through the lottery and wouldn't be surprised if both addy's win, especially if my theory about solicitation to determine production run size is correct.  Those that are in tough are those without a direct hook in to the Japanese opportunity to order.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 6, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I think BrentS will end up with his items through the lottery and wouldn't be surprised if both addy's win, especially if my theory about solicitation to determine production run size is correct.

I can see your solicitation theory working for stuff like the last box set (that had no limit number attached), but didn't they already say both of these items (Blue Star and Maul Bike Set) were limited to 2007 pieces?   :P

Personally, I believe Medicom when they say "limited to X" number.  Sure, they could produce more than the number and we'd never know, but I am inclined to believe them...  maybe it's all that "Japanese Honor" stuff from the movies.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 6, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I can see your solicitation theory working for stuff like the last box set (that had no limit number attached), but didn't they already say both of these items (Blue Star and Maul Bike Set) were limited to 2007 pieces?   :P

I'd have to read the news to know they stated that.  If only you guys had a front page :-X

As for the comment being related to a stated issue size, for example the 2007 pieces (if indeed Jeff is telling the truth  ;)) then yeah, I think those are limited to that size.  My comments, as Jeff correctly surmised, were related to the box set edition size. 

I thought the Blue Stars was 2007 pieces; didn't realize Maul speeder bike set was limited too.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline kubricklover

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Personally, the whole 5 piece set seems really funky to me....first we were told it would be collector club exclusive, so no big deal we've had those before. Next we were told that some online dealers would be getting these items Big Bad Toy Store and Toywiz, and their distributor fell through for them. Next thing I know, there's a whole bunch of loose items from that set minus the weapons on ebay. It all just seems really suspicious. Did the distributor for these online dealers say to themselves "there's no way we're going to sell these for 30 to 45 to these online dealers when we could sell them on ebay for 150+ now!" This still doesn't explain why there are no weapons so I don't know I'm just throwing out ideas.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 7, 2008, 04:11 AM »
Personally, the whole 5 piece set seems really funky to me....first we were told it would be collector club exclusive, so no big deal we've had those before. Next we were told that some online dealers would be getting these items Big Bad Toy Store and Toywiz, and their distributor fell through for them. Next thing I know, there's a whole bunch of loose items from that set minus the weapons on ebay. It all just seems really suspicious. Did the distributor for these online dealers say to themselves "there's no way we're going to sell these for 30 to 45 to these online dealers when we could sell them on ebay for 150+ now!" This still doesn't explain why there are no weapons so I don't know I'm just throwing out ideas.

I think there would be allot more on ebay if that were the case.
I don't know what the mix up was, but people like BBTS having that set for Pre Order raised questions right off the bat here for people that have been collecting Kubricks for a while.
No Exclusive in Japan was ever offered to dealers outside Japan, so I for one doubted they would ever get them.
As to why they were offering them to begin with?
I have no idea.
It was a major miscommunication maybe, who knows.
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 7, 2008, 04:16 AM »
As for the theory that every address that puts in for the lottery gets one, I can attest to the fact that that in not necessarily true.
Our friend Tomo put in for the second Speeder Bike as well as his brother (who lives at another address), Tomo got picked but his brother did not.

Toy collectors in Japan are very savvy, if something suspicious was going on they would know.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 7, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Interesting discussion.  As I'm new to the Kubrick scene overall, its interesting to see what people's experiences have been so far.  I'm hoping to land these at basically at cost plus shipping.  I didn't think my chances were too good, but maybe I'm underestimating them. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 07:35 PM »
actionhq.com has the Star Wars Kubrick Darth Maul & Sith Speeder up for preorder for $129.95 US plus shipping. I **** you not!

Item status:
This is a PREORDER item and is expected to be in stock on:
 Friday 30 May, 2008. Subject to change.

You can pay via CC or Paypal but it looks like they charge you right away but if they crap out & don't get it, then they refund.

I have never ordered from them before but I took the chance.  :-X

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 08:02 PM »
The Medicom lottery is tomorrow I believe (already tomorrow in Japan).  I'm hoping to find out about my chances soon.