Author Topic: New JD Review: 30AC Mace Windu  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: 30AC Mace Windu
« on: June 28, 2007, 12:06 AM »

Clicky Image To Read Review!

Just getting back to some reviews, and this week I'm taking a look at the figure above there, Mace Windu!  The new Mace is a marked improvement over, well, every other Mace Windu figure to-date...  The articulation and sculpt details are superior, the figure sports a spiffy saber, and a nice electric accessory...

Unfortunately, Hasbro has a ways to go with Sam Jackson's likeness, and I'd be lying if I said the way the skirt-piece inhibits the leg articulation/poseability isn't just a tad annoying...  It's actually very annoying.  Either way Hasbro seems to have improved Mace, they just need to take that leap of sculpting an accurate likeness of the actor, and maybe a cloth skirt-piece. 

Still...  I place this happily as the best Mace figure out there, upon my display shelves...  Till they give us another one with, hopefully, that new head and cloth bits.  You know what you need to do Hasbro.

Thanks for reading guys...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: New JD Review: 30AC Mace Windu
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Nice thorough review Jesse.  I picked one of these up to pilot the Starfighter, and had to cut slits in the skirt piece to get him to even look like he was sitting down.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2007, 02:58 AM »
Without a doubt, Hasbro should've allowed for more playability with this figure.  Case-in-point, they got Pilot Obi-Wan so right in 2005, yet this figure so wrong in terms of making the skirt flex with the articulation.  Easy fix, nothing that would've impacted the bottom line, so there's distinct disappointment there.

Personally I'm of the type that the face likeness is passable.  Not as bad as some claim, definitely not accurate though and not even their best Sam Jackson work which has been attrocious in general.

However, I find more fault with this super articulated figure's inhibited articulation more than I do that likeness.  Softgoods even would've been preferable.  I actually think I'd like that more than the Pilot Obi-styled skirt piece.

Either way, not without his flaws for sure.  A customizer's dream I guess since he's fixable if you have the desire, but shouldn't Hasbro be doing it right the first time?  Yup.  You betcha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Perfect review as aways, but what I always find funny is that you always sum the review up just as well in the tease.  ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2007, 04:55 AM »
I try to just make it a little shorter/sweeter.  I figure if you're reading anything I write, you're looking for the "detail" of it.  ;D  Otherwise I figure people would bore out in about the 3rd "Pro" and not want to read it at all.

I will admit though, my writing this week for the news post maybe didn't have my full thought into it...  I've got a ton on my plate in life these days, and sometimes I'm zoning out when I'm just getting home and posting some late-night news thing or something.  Hopefully I didn't spill too many beans in the "teaser".  I was even trying to cut it down for wordiness.  ;D

Thanks for the comments (and compliments, those are always appreciated too) guys. :)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: July 2, 2007, 02:17 PM »
As far as Sam Jackson likenesses go, I think their best one was the original EP 1 Sneak Preview figure, IMO.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 5, 2007, 02:47 PM »
As far as Sam Jackson likenesses go, I think their best one was the original EP 1 Sneak Preview figure, IMO.

Yep.

Great review, JJ, you got all of the pros and cons right. And he is the best Mace figure ever, so Im happy with that at least.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!