Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

I started this thread to discuss HPatDH once you are done reading it...keeping it out of the more general movie and book thread.  So as not to ruin it for anyone this weekend 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:33 AM »
Good idea starting a separate thread, Scott.  I've managed to stay spoiler free so far, but it's going to get tougher now that we're getting closer to the release date.  It's going to be even tougher for me because I probably won't get a chance to read it for another couple of weeks as I'm finishing up another book and want to take tDH on vacation with me.  Supposedly, the entire book's been leaked on the internet, causing quite a stir.  It would suck if I ventured into a non-HP discussion and saw a spoiler.  Just need to be cautious.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Hey Snape Kills Hagrid and voldemort kills Hermione ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I suck.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:37 PM »
And at the end, get this they blow up the deathstar !!!!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:24 PM »
My prediction is that it will be revealed that Neville is the REAL "chosen one", he will destroy both Harry and Voldemort, claim both of their powers, become the new Dark Lord, and destroy the entire planet in the midst of his madness.  The end.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:41 PM »
I thought that the whole Neville contingency had been discussed and disregarded?  It was the fact that Voldemort chose to attack Harry that branded Harry as the chosen one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:29 AM »
I thought that the whole Neville contingency had been discussed and disregarded?  It was the fact that Voldemort chose to attack Harry that branded Harry as the chosen one.

Oh, I'm sure it was ... but I was obviously joking.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Finished it this morning.  Pretty damn good.  Easily the best of the series, bumping POA from its pedestal.

All in all, a pretty perfect, satisfying way to wind up the series.

For those who don't want to read it, but want to be in the know when people talk about it, here's what you need to know:

Harry dies.
Snape's good, but he dies.
Fred Weasley dies.
Remus Lupin dies.
Tonks dies.
Mad Eye Moody dies.
Dobby the House Elf dies.
Colin Creevey dies.
Hedwig dies.
Voldemort dies.
Bellatrix LeStrange dies.
George Weasley loses an ear.

Dumbledore comes back.  Sort of.  At least as much as Harry dies.

And here's my favorite line from the whole book (page 523):

Hermione: "Okay, Ron, come here so I can do you...."
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 02:44 PM »
There are a couple things I don't get though, that maybe someone can help me out with.

Snape puts a phony sword of Gryffindor in Bellatrix's vault, and gets the real one to Harry.  Ron then uses the real one to destroy the locket, but then Harry barders it to Griphook to get into Bellatrix's vault at Gringott's.

Harry gets the Hufflepuff cup, but Griphook makes off with the sword.

Then, at the end, when the Sorting Hat comes to Neville, Neville pulls the sword out and uses it to cut off Nagini's head.

I don't get it....

Did Griphook accidentally make off with the phony sword in the midst of all the chaos?  Does the real sword go to whomever needs it, through the Sorting Hat?  Anyone got this figured out?

And while I'm asking questions about stuff I don't get, how did Harry determine that one of the Horcrux's would be in Bellatrix's vault?  That seemed a little...random, given the placement of the other Horcruxes.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:45 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Finished it early this morning. Easily my favorite of the series. I almost cried when Hedwig died... Well, not really, but it was still sad to see him go.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:56 PM »
The Sorting Hat dies.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Oh yeah...Crabbe dies.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:39 AM »
There are a couple things I don't get though, that maybe someone can help me out with.

Snape puts a phony sword of Gryffindor in Bellatrix's vault, and gets the real one to Harry.  Ron then uses the real one to destroy the locket, but then Harry barders it to Griphook to get into Bellatrix's vault at Gringott's.

Harry gets the Hufflepuff cup, but Griphook makes off with the sword.

Then, at the end, when the Sorting Hat comes to Neville, Neville pulls the sword out and uses it to cut off Nagini's head.

I don't get it....

Did Griphook accidentally make off with the phony sword in the midst of all the chaos?  Does the real sword go to whomever needs it, through the Sorting Hat?  Anyone got this figured out?

And while I'm asking questions about stuff I don't get, how did Harry determine that one of the Horcrux's would be in Bellatrix's vault?  That seemed a little...random, given the placement of the other Horcruxes.
Bellatrix was pretty shaken up that they had even been to the vault by the sign of the sword showing up...they put two and two together

As far as the sword, same way Harry got it in Chamber of Secrets.  Neville needed it and got it from the hat...

I just finished it and it was by far the best book of a wonderful series.  I see so much of all of the great modern mythology out there (LOTR, Narnia, Star Wars etc etc) in these books and the way she pulled everything together with no hanging or loose threads is absolutely amazing...something Lucas should have done a lot more of with the PT

I thought for sure Hagrid was going to bite it...about the time Hedwig blew up I was close to being right.  But he made it :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33 AM »
For those who don't want to read it, but want to be in the know when people talk about it, here's what you need to know:

Harry dies.

Thanks for the info. 

I never read any of the books and I very loosley follow the movies, but it's "good to know" that Harry died.  The suspense was killing me.. 

Mind if I ask how since this is a spoiler thread and all?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Harry's soul is the final Horcrux...he lets himself be "killed" by Voldemort.  Through some good magic and pretty much the plot of the book, he comes back from the brink after a long talk with Dumbledore who explains everything (think Luke-Obi-Wan in Jedi) and prentends to be dead...he then duels Voldemort in the great hall and reflects the Adava curse back at Voldy killing him...