Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 10012 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Does it really matter, what year(s) the story takes place?  JKR was careful not to litter the books with too many pop culture references, which would have dated them (see the Shrek movies).  Throw out the 1492 mention, and the story sounds like it could be present day, and it just as easily sounds like it could have taken place a hundred years ago, or a hundred years from now.  It's really kind of a timeless story.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 01:50 AM »
Does it really matter, what year(s) the story takes place?  JKR was careful not to litter the books with too many pop culture references, which would have dated them (see the Shrek movies).  Throw out the 1492 mention, and the story sounds like it could be present day, and it just as easily sounds like it could have taken place a hundred years ago, or a hundred years from now.  It's really kind of a timeless story.

i seem to recall Dudley playing "Playstation" in one of the books. that was kinda stupid. but i agree otherwise.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 02:07 AM »
i seem to recall Dudley playing "Playstation" in one of the books. that was kinda stupid. but i agree otherwise.

Yeah, I thought I remembered a PlayStation reference, but that's just about the only one.  And "PlayStation" means the same thing today that it did ten years ago, and, knowing Sony, it'll still mean the same thing ten years from now.  PlayStation 5, by that point, I suppose.  Twelve thousand dollars.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 10:46 AM »
Yeah, I thought I remembered a PlayStation reference, but that's just about the only one. 

It was in Goblet of Fire... Dudley's PlayStation.

Nice to see the HP nerds can get mired in continuity like everyone else...  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 06:45 PM »
Yeah, I thought I remembered a PlayStation reference, but that's just about the only one.  And "PlayStation" means the same thing today that it did ten years ago, and, knowing Sony, it'll still mean the same thing ten years from now.  PlayStation 5, by that point, I suppose.  Twelve thousand dollars.

ah, but did it mean the same thing it did one hundred years ago, as you claim?

take that. score one for incredibly nerdy nitpickers united.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2007, 04:17 PM »
This has already been mentioned over in the Forbidden Zone, but I think it deserves a mention here, as well:

JKR: Dumbledore was totally into butt sex

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2007, 06:28 PM »
It never crossed my mind. Seems like a cheap way to keep Harry potter in the news.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2007, 10:17 PM »
She Pulled this outta no where. Like you said, its just a publicity stunt to keep Harry in the news.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Could be a publicity stunt, could be from a more tolerant culture....
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2007, 01:37 PM »
I've read all the books and saw nothing that would lead me to believe this is more than just some sotr of publicity stunt.  And a stupid one at that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Sounds like she needs some attention.  Unless she writes a prequel to the series that explores that aspect , it really doesn't matter.  She should have taken it a step further and said he was also a serial killer or that Harry's parents and their friends were really evil and Voldemort was really good.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2007, 06:07 AM »
The Dumbledore thing seems more of a reaction to the script for HBP than anything else.  I'm surprised that no one else had said something previously when she marked up the script.  In the books, Dumbledore never had any close female relationships.  I would have to reread his letter to Grindlewald to see if there was anything in that letter that could lead one to this conclusion.  I doubt this is really a publicity stunt, there are two more movies to be released so there is no need to pull something like this at this point.

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2007, 07:15 AM »
Makes you wonder just how "close" Dumbledore was friends with Nicholas Flamel..... ;D
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 1, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Sounds like J.K. Rowling is releasing a Potter-related book, "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" as mentioned in Deathly Hallows.  Good luck getting one though, apparently only 7 copies are being printed (for charity mainly).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #59 on: November 1, 2007, 02:59 PM »
If i was a big fan i would be very much annoyed with that. Why write soemthing and not release it to the fans. Its cool about the charity, donating the hand made one but release a regular version so the fans that gave you millions can read it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"