Author Topic: Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!!  (Read 12948 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!!
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:10 PM »
What do you do when it's Saturday and you're bored?

You make a MYGEETO BRIDGE DIO for your growing squad of Galactic Marines, of course!

I decided to do this this morning, and I got to work, and finished it in a day! It still has tiny little imperfections here and there to be fixed and small additions and expansions I'd like to make in the near future (rubble for starters), but it is definitely my finest creation, up there with Jedi Mas-turd. Check it out and tell me what you think. Enjoy!

I am 13 so I have to thank my dad for driving me around to various stores to gather the materials for this project and my mom for cooperating long enough for it to get done.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:05 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
nice job man!!

what did you use to make this though?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Great job on this dio, Robo Quack!

I really like the detail on the broken parts of the bridge, and the paint makes this dio look like a model straight from the movie. Now you need to populate it with some more figures and post a step-by-step tutorial on how you made the bridge, as I want to make one myself. Once again, very good job and keep up the great work!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Wow, man. That bridge is fantastic!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
JangoTat: Thanks for looking!

Greg: Thanks for your comments on the paint and the broken parts of the bridge, they are appreciated and it took a while to get all the battle damage just right.

Darth_Anton: Glad you liked the bridge, thanks for looking!

A lot of you have asked me how I made the bridge. The bridge itself is slab of 4x2 foot (2 inches high) insulating foam found at the Home Depot. And it was 4 dollars! In my area there was a hobby shop blocks away that was selling the same thing for twenty-five bucks, so defintely look for this at Home Depot rather than a hobby shop if you're considering making a bridge for yourself. For the battle damage, I used an X-acto blade and cut sloppily until the chunk of bridge was loose enough to tear off. Once the chunk was torn off, there were still some round foam beads sticking out which I felt were taking away from the detail and realism of the brdge, so I carefully used the blade to slice them in half. This took some patience and time. For the rebar sticking out of the battle damage, I cut up and bent a coat hanger. I then cut up the railing from a thinner piece of foam, and attached it with finishing nails. Then, I used an Irwin strait-line to draw the lines that I cut out with X-acto blade, and some lid thingy to make the circles in the bridge (my dad called them sewer grates). After the lines wre done I took the bridge outside and gave it two coats of grey spraypaint. I gave the railing a coat of a darker grey paint, but I then ran into a problem: the railing got so wet with paint that the paint started eating up the foam. Fortunately, this only happened in a couple place, and it happened near the torn out chunks of the bridge, so I was able to call it battle damage and paint these areas black. Then, I painted the areas of destroyed bridge black, and also gave it a couple random sprays of black for more damage. My bridge was complete. I just added rubble (good looking rocks from my backyard) so I'll post more pictures of the 100% complete bridge later today. This wasnt the best tutorial ever written but I hope I answered your questions. Please do ask if you have any more questions!  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:15 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Robo-Quack, nice job fella! If I had some more space I'd build myself one of these. Very good job dude. Whats next on your list of projects? Fellucia perhaps? Hoth? Detroit?

Cheers man.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Beautiful work!  Really this is something you should be proud of. 

One suggestion - maybe get some lighter gray spray paint, and lightly spray here and there from a distance of a few feet - it will give it just a bit more of a variety in coloration to it.

But either way, really this is great work.  Hopefully when your PN is released we'll get to see this in it.

:P

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
This is really cool!
I would really like to make a diarama like this, but my cat is resourceful and will find a way to destroy it... either as a scratching post or try jumping on it, knocking it down.... oh well.
Great work!
Now all you need is a Ki-Adi Mundi full of blaster holes in the middle of the diarama!
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
You really did a great job on this Robo-Quack. I'm really impressed actually. I do have a few suggestions on how you could further improve on this.

I think that the rest of the bridge could use some more weathering. You did a good job on the battle damaged areas there, but the rest seems a little flat, as far as the depth of color is concerned. You could do something along the lines of Justin's suggestion and give it a light grey mist. You may also want to consider a few different colors of washes, perhaps in black and a brown or terra cotta. These don't have to be heavy at all, just enough to vary the color a little so it looks like the bridge was actually used at some point before the war.

I also really think the bridge could use significantly more rubble as well. I saw you mentioned you would like to do this, and I really think it is crucial. There really seemed to be a fair amount on the bridge in the movie. Rubble is also going to give you something else to look at and the bridge won't look so flat. It will also take up space, so you won't need as many figures to fill out the diorama. You did some good work with foam for the bridge itself, so you may want to try using foam for some of the larger rubble pieces as well. You can use the corrosive effects of the spray paint to your advantage on the rubble. Corrosion can either look very much like a blast mark, or somewhere where the big stone pieces shattered. Try to vary up the sizes and have some bigger pieces and some smaller pieces. Depending on the color you use, a little sand or some other fine material would give you a really nice effect as well.

Keep up the great work and keep us updated! :)
"This is the way."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Famine: Thanks for looking! Next on my list will definitely have something to do with the Chancellor's abduction scenes in the Clone Wars cartoon, for the new Roron Corrobb that'll be out in a few weeks. Thanks again!

CHEWIE: Thanks, Justin, for the kind comments and good suggestions!

Straxus: I've got two cats, I know what you mean! And I need to buy a ROTS Ki-Adi so I can make his corpse. I dont have any at the moment because I customized all my other ones.Thanks for looking at the bridge, glad you liked it!

Ryan: Thank you very much for the suggestions, and thanks for looking. I will definitely be improving the bridge and I'll keep you guys updated as I do it.  :)

Some more pics, not much changed except the location and I added some rubble, I'm satisfied with the amount of rubble for now but I'll be adding some more soon. I also put in some crystal-ish rocks because Mygeeto is after all a crystal world!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:20 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!! Awesome! HUGE! 7/21/07
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 08:48 PM »
 ;D Awesome Robo-Quack.Maybe you can gets some more ideas for it fron Battlefront II! Looks great so far!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Very nice work Robo Quack!  I really like your paint work, and the debris on the bridge looks good.

That diorama is screaming out for a few things:
1)  Ki-Adi Mundi
2) Commander Bacara
3) Maybe a Crab droid
4) MORE TROOPS!!!!

And what Hasbro should take into account?
-An Octuptarra Droid
-A UT-AT
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 05:21 PM »
Deanna Rash: Thanks for looking, you always have a nice thing to say about everyone's custom work and its appreciated. I dont own Battlefront 2 yet but sooner or later I will as I am a Battlefront 1 addict!

Nicklab: Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the bridge. As I mentioned a few posts above I dont have a ROTS Ki-Adi yet but Im looking for one to put on the bridge. As for Bacara, I'm working on an SA custom for him because I would never put such a horrible sculpt in such a great diorama. And Ive been picking up all the Marines I can find recently, so theyre on the way! And I will be trying to scrape together money in the next few weeks so I can see if I can commision someone more skilled than myself to make a couple Octuptarra Droids for the bridge, so hopefully I'll have some of those soon. Once again, thanks for your feedback!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Battlefront II has the Mygeeto bridge on it.It's one of the levels you play.It might give you some more ideas,for your bridge.
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 01:13 AM »
I have to say, I think that's pretty cool too Robo-Quack, really nice work...  You did nice detailing by exposing reinforcing rebar in the blown off portions of the bridge, the debris looks good too...  I think for display purposes I'd have shrunk it down some, as it is indeed quite large, but if you're filling it with more I think it'll look fantastic once completely set up.

You did a great job on that for any age though, it just really looks nice, so congrats to you on the bridge man.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77