Author Topic: Considering Unmoderated Forum  (Read 14506 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Unmoderated Forum
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 09:31 PM »
I think it's a bad idea, mainly because Dressel is such a goddamned *******.  :-*

I understand why giving me a platform to again mentally kick your ass would present a problem for you.  ;)

But seriously, what would be the point?  RocketFett doesn't post here.

If you build it, they will come.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37 PM »
See?

Tell Georgie how right you were about everything, darling, because he'd be the only one buying what you were selling.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47 PM »
See?

Tell Georgie how right you were about everything, darling, because he'd be the only one buying what you were selling.

I'd respond, but I'll wait for the forum, if we get one.

As for you...

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Keep it coming.

Also, as a side note- anyone who brings up politics in any other context but to debate the ability to discuss it will be suspended.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:48 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007, 10:41 PM »

Anyhow, I'm all for this idea of a politics/religion section.  But why not have a couple of moderators.  Say, 1 conservative and 1 liberal?  Or even 2 of each?

I nominate myself and Dressel on the conservative side.   8)

To the statement that "nothing good ever came of the W&P thread" - I say that the intellectual exchange on difficult and divisive topics is in and of itself a positive outcome.  I find few other things as mentally stimulating.  Most people probably view it as bickering, but you don't know the creativity necessary to generate the arguments and responses.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2007, 12:37 AM »
I didn't see anything positive that came from the previous threads at RS and GH.  All I saw was a couple of ultimately-closed threads.  The first, RS closed because some ******bag put up a link to a video of some dude getting his head cut off, and the second, GH closed because all the douchebags from the closed RS thread came over and used GH like a three-dollar crack whore to post their political bull****--for the most part, contributing nothing else to the site at all, either during the W & P days, or even after their W & P thread was closed.  A lot of those people haven't been back to GH since.

I don't think that's a very good legacy to want to continue at JD.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2007, 01:55 AM »
GH closed because all the douchebags from the closed RS thread came over and used GH like a three-dollar crack whore to post their political bull****--for the most part, contributing nothing else to the site at all, either during the W & P days, or even after their W & P thread was closed.  A lot of those people haven't been back to GH since.

What are you trying to say?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:57 AM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2007, 10:28 AM »
GH closed because all the douchebags from the closed RS thread came over and used GH like a three-dollar crack whore to post their political ********--for the most part, contributing nothing else to the site at all, either during the W & P days, or even after their W & P thread was closed.  A lot of those people haven't been back to GH since.

What are you trying to say?

Yeah but in my defense I was drinking a lot of coffee back then, and I've since switched to decaf.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Maybe Matt's right...whatever the outcome, it won't be pretty.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2007, 08:29 PM »
GH closed because all the douchebags from the closed RS thread came over and used GH like a three-dollar crack whore to post their political bull****--for the most part, contributing nothing else to the site at all, either during the W & P days, or even after their W & P thread was closed.  A lot of those people haven't been back to GH since.

That's because GH is lame.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2007, 01:42 AM »
Again, I think that the overall result of allowing this would be bad.  Not just for JD but for the community.  I do think that one side (yes, I am biased - the conservatives) would be able to conduct themselves in a more civil manner and not let it bleed over, but there are some people who won't be able to control themselves. 

Plus there's already more than enough undeserved disrespect thrown around by some members at our president, at each other, and even at other Star Wars fan sites - and this would only make it worse.   If this were to be allowed, and I joined in on the debates, there would be a very conservative Wookiee added to the mix... but things like this divide the community, not bring it closer togther...

:P

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2007, 11:12 AM »
... but things like this divide the community, not bring it closer togther...

I don't recall reading "bring the community closer together" listed anywhere in the reasons for creating an unmoderated forum.  Maybe we should start a "gentle hugs" forum?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 11:29 AM »
... but things like this divide the community, not bring it closer togther...

I don't recall reading "bring the community closer together" listed anywhere in the reasons for creating an unmoderated forum.  Maybe we should start a "gentle hugs" forum?

::)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 12:02 PM »
I feel that, while a good natured attempt to expanding the JD 'experience', I think it will ultimately be a failure. I believe the 'experiment' will cause (or broaden ;)) further animosity between members, that there is no way of preventing spill-over. Regardless of 'spilleage control', mind control cannot be done. Once some folks have made up there minds about others based on their political/religious views it would be hard to change them. While I personally would not hold someones' beliefs against them based on politics, I cannot make guarantees others would not.

Since I care to a lesser extent of others personal negative views towards what I would say in a proposed thread, my concern would be more for between others members and the sites' health thereafter.

While I've seen it mentioned here that 'we're mostly adults in here' that we 'should be able to handle ourselves maturely' I feel that even adults can become opinionated and hateful and being 'mature' or 'adult' really has little to do with this. A quick view of CSPAN, FOXNEWS, CNN ect and several others channels on TV and within a couple hours 'adults' of all types can be viseably watched becoming unglued.

So my feeling is...

If we're willing to risk the integrity of our website lets go ahead and do this then :P.

The DS       
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:13 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Maybe we should start a "gentle hugs" forum?

I like it.  It'd be like a message board version of a cuddle party.

I'm down.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2007, 01:50 PM »
You know, I was going to make a post echoing what has already been said, but after reading through the posts in this thread I realized that a UMF isn't going to make JD any different. We already have members who disagree on certain issues but are able to maintain their composure in other parts of the forums. What would the UMF do to change this? Besides, if things DO get out of hand we have the mods who can quickly clean up any mess that's created.

I say go for it. We don't really have anything to lose.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks