Author Topic: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith  (Read 84498 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2007, 06:13 PM »
senators don't sell!

There is corruption in the senate.  ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I love the Lava Droid and the platform, but I love they're doing Mustfar versions of Anakin and Obi even better.  I'd like to see them a little more scruffed up, but they look really good.   Solid wave.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2007, 07:13 PM »
I don't know. All I see are pegwarmers to mess up future waves. Obiwan and Anakin are too much the same as the last two years to sell. They will clog the pegs big time. The training clone and jango are left over from the previous wave.  The clones and the two droids are nice though. Too me it just doesn't look good.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2007, 09:23 AM »
The changes on the Pilot Obi-Wan are interesting, a new headsculpt, softgoods skirt (why?!?),

So he can finally have a seat in his ship I'd guess.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2007, 10:44 AM »
I have to admit a small part of me feels a pang of envy or a similar emotion when Hasbro releases a wave of excellent sculpts that I just won't buy.  Why?  Well, I only collect OT themed stuff, so when a great-looking wave (sculpt-wise, not necessarily theme-wise) comes out, I switch to the bitter old purist who complains that the kids won't get off my lawn or whatever  :P.  For ROTS toy fans, I think these are great, but I'm ready to see some OT 2008 stuff.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2007, 07:26 PM »
I dont think we will be getting as much next year.

I hope you're right, even though I know that's not where you were coming from.  This 60 figures a year business is killing me.  For a line that has no current film, 60 figures PLUS a reissue line alongside it year after year just seems like a recipe for disaster.  Hasbro needs to cut the number of figures back (I could handle about 40 figures total, plus ships here and there, plus the comic packs) before they burn the retailers out on the stuff.  I hate to break it to them, but those mountains of Jerjerrods, Endor Threepios, Padmes, and (now) the 30AC Vaders are not good news for the future of the line.  Hasbro can claim "regional experience does not translate to the entire country" all they want, but when your pegs are consistently full with the same figures for the last year to the point that every new case assortment is only a trickle in every third store, it isn't a good sign.

But, Chicken Little-Me aside, I really like the looks of the new figures for 2008.  I've been wanting the Mining Droid/Platform for some time, and I only hope they give the Mining Droid one of those clear stands (ala the Jedi Temple Analysis droid) that will support Anakin's weight.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2007, 08:45 PM »
Y'know, on paper 60 new figs a year sounds like a ton, however when you think that each wave is about 6 figures, that's equal to about 10 waves a year.  10 waves a year, comes out to about a new wave every 5 weeks.  6 figures every 5 weeks, just doesn't seem like too much for me.  Once I complete a wave, it seems like it's 3-4 weeks before anything new shows up, and I'm already jonesing for more!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: October 1, 2007, 01:30 AM »
For me, it's the added expenses in collecting of army building, customizing, and the like that add to the "overwhelming" factors in a 60 figure year.  Oh, and exclusives, ships, etc., etc...  60 figures looks like a WHOLE lot more when there's all that added on there. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #83 on: October 1, 2007, 02:45 AM »
6 figures + sales tax = $45 every five weeks. Here's how I look at it, and why I'm not a completist:

At my $7/hr pre-taxes, that's an 8-9 hr workday devoted solely to SW figures.

Or 17 gallons of gas.

Or 60 cans of cheap beer or 35 bottles of more expensive brews. ;)

For a two-of-everything carded and loose completist, double each accordingly. And of course this doesn't take into account even the 3.75" vehicles, comic packs, etc.--much less Galactic Heroes or any of the side-lines.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 02:57 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 1, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Y'know, on paper 60 new figs a year sounds like a ton, however when you think that each wave is about 6 figures, that's equal to about 10 waves a year.  10 waves a year, comes out to about a new wave every 5 weeks.  6 figures every 5 weeks, just doesn't seem like too much for me. 

Do that for ten years and tell me where you have room to put it all. :P

That's why starting next year, I'm cutting back.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 1, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I could do with less figures a year as well.  Not that I'm not enjoying what we get - this year in particular has been a great year of collecting, as we've discussed elsewhere here - but it does tend to get a bit overwhelming.  If it was just those 60 basic figures it wouldn't be as bad - but then there's the Legends line, all the army builders this year, vehicles, comic packs, exclusives, battle packs, etc.  I'm not a completist on anything really (this year the basic line has been though, for the coins  ::)), but it has been a lot to keep up with the past few years.  I keep telling my wife "well the movies are over, so it should be a lot less this year" - I've said that for a few years now.  I wouldn't mind seeing the 40 figure number mentioned earlier either, with the vehicles and comic packs sprinkled in too.

Now, back to this wave, it is great to finally see that Anakin packed on a basic card.  Ball jointed elbows would be nice, but aside from that its about the perfect ROTS Anakin.  I'll pick up a couple more if possible, and the Obi-Wan looks good too.  The new Lava droid was a surprise, and looks pretty nice.  The whole wave in general looks like a winner, and I'll be getting at least one of each I think (aside from the repacked ones from this year).  But, with all the Clone Wars stuff looming later next year, I hope we start seeing more OT goodness from future waves.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 1, 2007, 10:44 AM »
THIS WAVE IS AWSUME, BUT I GUESS WE WILL NOW HAVE SOME CARRY OVER FIGURES THAT CAME WITH COINS THIS YEAR AND WITH STANDS NEXT.  I WONDER IF WE WILL SEE ANY MORE FIGURES FROM THIS YEARS IN NEXT YEARS WAVES
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline IshiTib

• Jedi Initiate
  • The actual avatar is my newest figure:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 1, 2007, 11:13 AM »
i like this wave, 3 good figures to buy for me:

po nudo (separatists, yeah ;D ), 2-1b and the lava droid is also very nice

commander gree only if he's cheap, but i don't think so ^^
Sorry for my bad English, i am German.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 1, 2007, 07:29 PM »
The whole Octuptarra VS Tri-Droid thing has been a little confusing.  First Hasbro calls it the Octuptarra droid, and now it's called the Tri-Droid.  Hopefully we can get a bigger pic of the figure at some point to make a decent comparison.

Tri-Droid

Octuptarra Droid

The image is leaning much more towards the Tri-Droid.  And as for a distinction from the Official Site, both droids are listed at about the same size/height.  One at 3 meters tall, the other at 3.7 meters tall.  And those dimensions have to make you wonder how tall the figure will finally stand.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #89 on: October 1, 2007, 08:56 PM »
"Do that for ten years and tell me where you have room to put it all. "

Actually, Darth Anton,  I've been doing it since 1995!  And from 1977-1985 before that.  I have room for evertyhing in my attic, but only a portion of my collection gets displayed.  I rotate in new figs and put old ones away.  One day I hope to have more room to dispaly at least half what I have.

But I also keep my collecting to a minimum.  One of each figure to open.  I buy doubles of some army builders.  One of each ship to open.   NO REPACKS.  Legends is just a waste for me, but I'll grab one here and there.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com