Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 159281 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Definitely good ideas to me there Pete.

I just don't get reintroducing old stuff with no new stuff to help move it along. I'm not seeing any of the new stuff. Now the old stuff isn't clogging TOO bad, but their certainly not flying off the shelves.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02 PM »
I agree, it would have been nice to see them break up the older sets with the newer stuff.  Target is the only place that has really gotten these here, but they do seem to be sitting a bit.  When I stopped by Target yesterday, there was 4 Anakin sets, and 1 each of the Sith and Trooper set.  Hopefully shelf-warming won't be a problem, because this is a really great line (especially with no VOTC this year), and I'd like to see it continue.

I have been half tempted to pick up another set of Anakin or the Sith sets, just to have extras of the "ultimate" versions of Anakin and Darth Maul.  I figure it would be cheaper to get the Wave 1 Anakin, and hope/wait for a single carded release of AOTC Anakin and the Maul figure.  Plus, we're getting a better decoed Palps in the Order 66 packs later this year.  Definitely looking forward to the new sets though, and hope to see more of them at Toy Fair.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I agree that it would have been great to see the repacked ones more sporadic, but at least in my area, the repacked ones are moving fairly well.  Especially the Sith set.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2008, 06:37 PM »
I agree that it would have been great to see the repacked ones more sporadic, but at least in my area, the repacked ones are moving fairly well.  Especially the Sith set.

Yeah - the Sith Set is definitely the hardest to find in my area as well.

The Clone Set seems to be the one with the longest shelf life. Oh how things have changed!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2008, 07:40 PM »
I'm experiencing the same thing as CHEWIE is...  I see Clone sets now and then, but only ever see Anakin/Sith sets if I'm there when a new case was out.  And the Clone sets seem to sell eventually even, regardless, especially at Wal-Mart where, at least in my area, some WM stores are down to about 3 total basic figures... 

I gotta take a pic of my nearest WM to share...  It's pathetic.  The SW section is as nekked as it gets.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I'm experiencing the same thing as CHEWIE is...  I see Clone sets now and then, but only ever see Anakin/Sith sets if I'm there when a new case was out.  And the Clone sets seem to sell eventually even, regardless, especially at Wal-Mart where, at least in my area, some WM stores are down to about 3 total basic figures... 

I gotta take a pic of my nearest WM to share...  It's pathetic.  The SW section is as nekked as it gets.

I'm right there with you Jesse. I went into the Wally up here in Fort Collins for the first time since being back at school. The pegs were overflowing with Comic Packs, including two of the three exclusive ones. There were tons of lightsabers. And they had a bunch of the Galactic Hero Cantina sets and the Jabba's Palace sets on clearance. There were a few Clone Evo sets on the clearance endcap too. They oddly enough had a tag marking them as clearance, but the price was the same as it always has been.

Even with all that overflow there were a whopping 4 basic figures, 1 AOTC Clone, and 3 DSTs I believe. Most Wallys around here are in a similar situation. I was kind of considering picking up another Anakin set but i haven't seen one yet. I've seen the Sith several times, and the clones are fairly easy to find. Though they luckily don't seem to be in such abundance around here that they will clog the shelves preventing the new ones from being stocked.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34 AM »
I've noticed the TRU stores in my area are getting in a lot of the Anakin set... but no clones to be seen.  I'm thinking there are different case ratios being sent to different retailers.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2008, 11:11 AM »
I've seen all three sets so far at TRU, Target & WalMart.  The Anakin set has seen the least shelf time out of the three, but it's catching up with the Sith and Clone sets.  It's also surprising that we're getting the grey/white Clone>Sandtrooper set and not the yellow/orange set we were told about in the Q&A's.  But whatever.  I'm not buying the reissue sets.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I haven't seen the repacked Anakin set at all. The clone set is pegging in my area and the Sith set isn't far behind. And they are unfortunately getting worse. I'd MUCH rather see the new sets or at the least a mix of the two on shelves at the same time.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Y'know, after 12 years of buying Hasbro product, I would hope to be able to figure out their logic when relaseing toys.  I saw all 3 re-released Evolutions sets tonight in 3 differnt stores.  Now, I own the original releases, and I don't buy packaging changes, so there was nothing new for me to buy.  Now, if they had put out the Jedi, Mando and Sith set, I would have spent close to 75 bucks.

The issue here is that I think these sets are going to shelfwarm because most of us have these, and the new ones, the ones that we WANT, are going to be tough to find...I just don't get it.  How does this benefit Hasbro?

Actually, I had a good conversation with one of the Hasbro folks on a very similar topic at one of the shows they were at.  And it was regarding the 2002 Action Fleet offerings.

If you're familiar with that line, the Action Fleet line had been cancelled for a year or so following the EPISODE I line.  Hasbro was looking to re-launch if for the EPISODE II line.  But the problem was that they didn't have the new ship/vehicle sculpts ready in time for the retail resets for the EPISODE II line.  But, Hasbro really wanted to get the line out there, so they decided to produce some of the more iconic vehicles in the Action Fleet line.  Why?  Mainly, to hold the space in the retail planogram until they could get the new ships produced and shipped.

Long story short, that plan backfired, and the core Action Fleet collectors left the X-Wings, Falcons and Vader TIE's behind.  They were out for the new vehicles.  But that backstock of the first wave, which were all reissues helped to put the last nail in the coffin of Action Fleet.

Now strategically, it seems like Hasbro is doing the same thing here.  I'm under the impression that the first new sets of Evolutions figures were not ready to ship in time for the new retail planograms.  And if you've been to a store in the past few weeks, you'll notice that almost all of the retailers have done a post holiday reset.  And that reset locks down which items/assortments go where on the shelves and pegs.  It seems pretty clear that Hasbro might be trying to reserve the space for Evolutions by using the existing molds they had so that product could be on shelf for those resets.

So how could things be different with this situation?  The 3.75" figure system is a much better seller than Action Fleet ever was.  It's got a 30 year history and a much broader fan base.  Plus you do have some potential clientele here:  the package variant collectors;  the completists; people who missed these the first time around; army builders (for the Clone set); and people who weren't in the hobby in 2005.  I think these Evolutions sets will sell through, albeit slowly.  I think based on the fact that we're seeing images of loose figures from Asia, the new sets will probably be in stores within a month or so.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2008, 12:43 PM »
I've only seen these at Target so far. Most of the ones I see are Anakin sets and once in a while, a couple Sith sets will show up. Still no clones yet. I'm strongly considering picking up a boxed set, these just look really nice.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10 AM »
hmm ships out next month too.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2008, 06:16 AM »
I don't think that is right. We haven't even seen pictures of them yet, besides the first wave of new ones has yet to hit stores. Perhaps that is when TRU is supposed to get the first wave in?

I'm pretty excited to see some confirmation on these sets. It will be nice to get a few new Padme outfits all at once. I'm really excited for the Rebel Pilot set. I really hope it is OT only and they don't have any Naboo pilots or anything, since they technically aren't Rebel. I could see that beeing a very expensive set for me. Depending on the figures included I think I can go for at least 5.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57 AM »
This wouldn't be the first time that TRU.com listed something with an erroneous ship date.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."