Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 158687 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2008, 12:49 AM »
If you think about it, the briefing room scene in ANH is attended by all white British actors - why? 'Cause that's what GL had available.

That point right there Pete is how I feel about GL as a creator.  Despite different sensibilities in the late 70s and early 80s (which I prefer to the "kewl" contemporary sensibilities  :D), I think Lucas' best work is when he is limited.  If he's given full freedom, IMO he gets out of control and introduces concepts that don't feel like the SW we've brought into our consciousness after 30 years.  Just a few of the things that bother me about post-SE, PT, and EU: CGI droids that defy the laws of physics, too many aliens with lightsabers, and inventing things like rancor battle mounts and female Imperial officers.  I feel that the OT established rules for anything considered SW in the future, and those rules have been violated by so many, including Lucas himself!

Anyway, sorry for the rant- back to the regularly scheduled discussion of Evolutions!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29 AM »
Wow...  This thread is taking off.

Me, I'm all for it...  Like Jeff said, EU's the way of the future...  I just mentioned this in another thread, but the fact is that you can only squeeze out so much film **** with creativity to it before you have to dip into the other incarnations of characters.  That'll include film heroes in EU forms, recognizeable aliens people like in EU outfits like X-Wing pilot duds...  It's inevitable I think, for the line's longevity.

And at the end of the day, I think it's important to consider this; The 3-pack gets you some film though it maybe costs you something in an EU figure to get it.  You get your SA Qui-Gon Jinn, and a background Jedi from AOTC, but you're gonna put up with NJO Luke that some want to get that...  I honestly don't want NJO Luke too much, but I'll take him...  He's sorta neat looking, not from EU I like though, so I could live without him and woudl've much preferred an Obi-Wan or some other Jedi or something.  I'll take an EU Luke though.

I think it's really just the way of things... 

And likewise...  Red marking Stormtroopers, blue marking stormtroopers...  If it means we get a Stormtrooper resculpt with ball/socket hips and wrists some year, and super accurate sculpting...  Hey, I guess I'll stomach that other stuff.  I feel it can get worse of course...  I'm not to the point I am looking at some of this stuff and thinking it's A) Unbelievable, or B) "offensive" to my sensibilities as a fan...  I maybe am not wild about it, but it's not reached some breaking point with me.  But that's me.

I personally am loving the rumors on the Evolutions sets...  If it means we're getting a super articulated TIE Pilot body, great!  If it means we get a NEUTRAL size X-Winger super articulated?  Hell yeah because that means we can get a great Wedge figure!  Same with the Snowspeeder pilot...  Hopefully the same on a Y-Wing pilot, and I love the female X-Winger too as she was supposed to be there.  All great stuff...

So if I gotta take a Twi'Lek pilot?  Cool...  I actually like that, but even if I didn't, I guess I'm just saying I'd be real happy we're getting cut-footage female X-Winger, and a good X-Wing figure, and a good Snowspeeder figure...  It all is just going good to me...

And I really do dislike a lot of EU.  I thought I read a rumored Vong figure...  They're easily one of the lamest, ripped off, EU characters ever.  Upon seeing the figure though, like Pre-Cyborg Grievious is to me, I bet I find it to be fairly cool and worth buying. 

EU's pretty solidly rooted at this point IMO...  No getting past that I'm afraid, and I think it's something Hasbro is really looking at to keep the line "fresh" for future movie-less years.  How it is packaged/delivered to us (be it basic figures, multi-packs, or Evolutions), is pretty pointless to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I like how everyone is in the same mind set - use the bodies to make even more pilots. ;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Haha- I'd better qualify my statements because I don't want to come off snarky or snide with my OT purist rants  ;D.  I'm actually thrilled that Hasbro has been devoting so many resources to EU because you guys, my collecting brethren, want them- and what's good for the continued production of SW is good for any niche fan (it's funny how OT-only can be considered niche; that was ALL there was up until the early 90s!).  I like discussing how I would have done things differently, but you can't deny Lucas was a marketing genius and has probably made more money since the OT, than because of it. 

About the pilot set- I'm excited if the Ten Nunb rumor is true, because imagine the alternative: a human B-Wing pilot in a multi-figure set.  I'd want multiples but would have to get multiples of other less iconic characters.  This way, we're bound to get a super-articulated version of the Sullustan to replace the admittedly good POTF2 version.  Hopefully there will be a red and white variant too!
Greg Reeves

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2008, 04:27 PM »
I can't help but bring up that Ten Nunb thing again...these are all headswaps. One female X-Wing Pilot per set, one Snowspeeder gunner, one B-Wing pilot.

I still swear Farlander is going to wind up being a B-Wing Pilot, it's the only way it works out. Nunb can't be in X-Wing pilot gear, if they wanted to do that there are bona fide EU Sullustan X-wing pilots to name it after.

Then again, a QnA recently said there would be no vintage remakes this year, which ought to exclude a B-Wing human male pilot...unless they are going with the white outfit again, even though Ten was in the red gear in the film. Or unless they were mistaken or only counted carded figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I still swear Farlander is going to wind up being a B-Wing Pilot

I'm going against this only because Farlander never ONCE appeared as a B-Wing pilot at any time in his EU lore...  He flew B-Wings in the game of course, but never has been listed as a B-Winger or wearing that outfit.

The other thing is, and this is what bugs me on the Ten Numb figure, that Sullustan's are noticeably shorter than humans.  So I don't view it as quite as good a swappable body if that's what we end up with.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new Ten Numb figure, especially in red (since we have white), but I'd much prefer a human of average size.

That said, I really think Farlander's gonna be a basic X-Winger...  Hell, his EU background is from, none other than, X-Wing. :)  If that's where the guy starts and his figure is in a B-Wing outfit, that's sorta goofy to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 1, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Yeah, JJ, it's kind of a shame that we have to suggest ways for Hasbro to be able to afford to make what we want  :P.  Really, they should make a red-suited and articulated Ten Nunb for the set, then later in the year sculpt an entirely new B-Wing pilot human body for the regular line that can either come with variant heads or be ball-jointed so we can swap heads.
Greg Reeves

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 6, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Here's a couple pics of my Jango -

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 6, 2008, 12:16 PM »
hmm head looks wierd but besides that it is perfect. do you know if the snowtrooper head fits on the evo jango chew?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 7, 2008, 01:19 AM »
Got my shipping notice from New Force on the Evo Wave 2 set today.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 7, 2008, 08:37 AM »
I'm kind of surprised these are a little more expensive at NFC, otherwise I would have bought a set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 7, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Eh, I figured with gas and tax it would be the same.
I remember my dream now.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 7, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Eh, I figured with gas and tax it would be the same.

Same here. 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 7, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Wow. That is a great looking figure, may be one of the best PT figures of all time.

I have no interest whatsoever in 2/3 figures from each of these new packs, so I'll probably resort to eBay to get Jango and the two others I like from this wave (Bultar, Nihilus).
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 7, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for the pics CHEWIE.  I agree, this looks like one of Hasbro's best efforts yet, and one of the best prequel figures overall.  We were overdue for the "ultimate" Jango, so its nice to see this one on the way.