Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 159215 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #630 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Doesn't anyone find the helmet a little odd on Farlander?  Or is it removeable or at least poseable to some degree?  Cuz the ones that I have seen are a little goofy looking. 

It does look like that old-timey kind of leather football helmet. ;D  Still, I think it's very well done.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I just meant it kind of sits really high up on the head.  If it comes off, that means it can probably be snugged down a bit too.  I'm not too concerned about the large amount of face/head showing, just looked like putting a ball cap on top of your head and letting it sit there without pulling it down at all.  That compounded with the bit around the chin made it look like a conehead without the cone on top. 

Reading it can either come off or be snugged on is good news because that was preventing me from buying it.  Now I'm interested, so thanks for the info guys. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 29, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I just meant it kind of sits really high up on the head.  If it comes off, that means it can probably be snugged down a bit too. 

There is some play, but certainly you can position it to give him as high a forehead as you like. If you're not happy with the helmet being the slightest bit loose, you can stick a piece of toilet paper in the helmet to make it really snug. No kidding.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #633 on: September 4, 2008, 04:39 AM »
Jayson hooked me up with the Imperial Pilot Evolutions set recently (Thanks man!)...

After finally getting to look the figures over, it's a mixed bag...  The Episode 2 style Clone is pretty cool and a new paintjob.  I liked that figure the first time and was always glad to get more...  The "special" paintjob on this one makes it less appealing ot me than a movie deco, but still it's a good figure overall to me.

The Episode 3 style Clone is interesting...  I am disappointed Hasbro didn't cast the chest box and hoses out of a more solid plastic, but instead they painted transluscent orange just like the helmet.  It looks bad as the paint's thin and you can see the orange plastic underneath.  I'm a bit disappointed in that aspect, but the removable helmet is nice and super thin due to the style it is.  That makes it surprisingly accurate too, if not a little fragile.  The pilot maybe re-uses the lower body of the ROTS figure which lacks ankle joints, but overall this figure's very nice and the highlight of the set to me.  It's a movie Clone afterall, and one we didn't have.

Lastly, there's Biggs in Imp. Pilot uniform...  I'm disappointed in this though.  On various levels too...

First, Hasbro clearly re-used the Saga Pilot's legs for this TIE Pilot, and that was dumb.  First it's dumb because Biggs wasn't "short" and that pilot clearly is short.  Second, it's dumb because those legs are a tad awkward to pose for some reason.  It's like they're too close together or something. 

Next though, the gun is ridiculous...  Hasbro resculpted the "Imperial Pistol" for absolutely no reason.  They have a perfectly scaled version of this gun which was sculpted for Bo Shek, so why not use that?  It fits in the holster better, and shows the true size of the blaster which Hasbro just completely botched.  The new pistol is 2 or 3 times the size it should be, making it comically oversized and dumb looking in the holster.  Moreover though, why would Hasbro put the money into a new mold for a gun when one exists that's superior?  Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Likewise though, and third on the list of suck, is the open-faced helmet...  I knew I wasn't going to like this, and Hasbro was sculpting a helmet for accuracy when the comic book artists themselves admitted that the open-faced helmets were just so you could tell who was talking, and that it wasn't meant to be some new kind of helmet...  IE: basically they wanted/intended the helmets to be closed faced the whole time.  In EU, TIE Fighters do NOT have atmosphere inside them, and the suit is a necessity for pilots to survive, so I really dislike the open mask.  And beyond that the helmet is goofy big I think, as they insisted on Biggs' hair looking all nice and wavy instead of being "flat" for the helmet's sake.

The sculpt of the figure overall is nice, though those legs are a letdown, and no ankle articulation sucks as well.  The body, holster belt, and all that is great though, and the Biggs likeness is spot-on so that's cool...  I just wish those legs were a tad more normal height and a slightly broader stance on them.

Overall, $20 for 3 figures isn't horrible these days so I'm digging the set and I'll get another one of them if I can ever find one in the wild myself, but this set is by far and away not without flaws.  It's not on par with the Rebel sets by a longshot, which make smart re-use of parts overall, and resculpts where appropriate.  It's superior to the Padme set though, but only because army builders always beat Padme figures...  Then again, so do Senators, droids, aliens...  OK yeah, Padme sorta sucks.  I don't get why you guys dig Padme so much. :)  I always wind up feeling jipped by her figures.

Anyway though, yeah, I'm ok with the Imp Pilots set but Hasbro could've done miles better with it.  2008 is becoming truly the year Hasbro shows it can cut corners everywhere...  And it's becoming a glaring issue with lots of figures and things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 4, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Are the Imperial and Rebel Pilot #2 sets even shipping anymore?  I haven't seen either of them since 07/26.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 4, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Yeah, they're shipping still, and should continue to do so.  I only saw them on 7/26 at Target, but since then Target doesn't seem to have gotten anything in except the comic packs.  Wal-Mart and TRU have been getting in the Evolutions sets in bulk, and keep restocking.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 4, 2008, 02:48 PM »
I actually saw a couple of the Imperial Pilots set at TRU yesterday, but I've never seen the Rebel Pilots II set at retail (got one via HTS).  The others seem to sit a fair amount, although still seem to sell through eventually.  Actually, now that I think about it, I think TRU is the only store in our town that has any in stock.  WM here hasn't had them at all yet, and Target had them on an endcap, but they've long since sold through.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #637 on: September 4, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Sad and I wish we had those same problems...  I'd like another Imp set honestly, but I don't want to trapes all over for it either. T RU's a bit of a hike for me...  Maybe tonight I'll take a trip.  I'm taking a coaching break this evening for my sanity and may decide to make a toy run, something I've not done in several months.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 4, 2008, 06:39 PM »
You gotta love how the rarity of toys in Canada is backwards compared to the states. My local Zellers for example is filled with about 15-18 evo packs half of them being the Imp set and Reb II set. Besides those there are only 2 padmes and a couple of fetts. I have been seeing the Imp set everywhere I go (except for WM) The Reb II set is a little harder to find but all the stores I have been to have atleast one of them on the shelves.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #639 on: September 4, 2008, 11:02 PM »
If someone were to need Padme or Fett sets, I'd gladly look for them for you...  I've seen both, but the Fett set goes down her fairly quickly, and the one with the emblem especially moves at a steady rate.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 5, 2008, 03:08 PM »
If someone were to need Padme or Fett sets, I'd gladly look for them for you...  I've seen both, but the Fett set goes down her fairly quickly, and the one with the emblem especially moves at a steady rate.

:o

These things actually move quickly stateside?  All our stores carrying these are crammed with both sets.  Only the pilots move at all.  The extra $10 probably doeesn't help  ::) but they really don't move much at all. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 5, 2008, 03:27 PM »

These two sets have been shelfwarmers by me.  As much love as Padme gets in the forums, the love at retail seems to be lacking.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 03:27 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #642 on: September 5, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Yeah there's not a ton to be had here, though I did notice TRU had most of them.  The Fett set with emblem though, that's long gone here.

The pilots though, are non-existant unless you're at a TRU that has Imps in sparse numbers and the first Rebel set, which I've now seen several times at retail...  The Reb 2 set is impossible to find.

Padme though, around here only Target had seemingly got much in and they're gone now.  I did see some Fetts without emblems but who wants those?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 7, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Seems like places are starting to get their second wind of evolutions. I've been seeing more of the Reb Pilots 2 set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 7, 2008, 06:01 PM »
What stores actually are carrying Evolutions have the shelves clogged with Jedi/Force Unleashed sets, and maybe 2 Rebel I and Imperial Pilot sets. Most stores either haven't restocked (*cough*Target*cough*) or just have no room for them. I've still yet to see Rebel Pilots II or the Fett Emblem set in person.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks