Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 159332 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Characters like the Twi'Lek rebel pilot are the main reasons I don't like EU (well, besides the fact that they're not OT canon  :P).  Just because something COULD happen (like a female Twi'Lek pilot) doesn't mean it should.  Everything shown so far suggests that Twi'Lek women are not rebel sympathizers, or even have much purpose other than as dancers  ;D.  It's like the Rancor with rider- interesting idea, but just not something the OT has demonstrated as probable.  To my mind, the Rancor is a caged beast, not a war mount, just as female Twi'Leks are scenery, not warriors.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46 PM »
I kind of agree.  I like the sexism in the OT.   I don't AGREE with it, but it made the "dark times" darker.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Taking the OT on its own, sure I can understand that point of view.

But when you look at the PT - you've got Twi'Lek females as senators, slaves & servants in EP1 and then in EP2 and EP3, Twi'Leks show up also as Jedi.

I think basing the fact that in the OT, one Twi'Lek female was a slave dancer and then in the OT Special Edition another Twi'Lek female was a performer/dancer - doesn't mean that ALL Twi'Lek females are slaves/erotic dancers. Considering that the context we saw them in was Jabba's palace, I think it's safe to say that the sexist nature of their roles was due entirely to the crime lord himself.

So the net-net is that I think that the only reason we didn't see more varied races fighting in the Rebelion was because GL didn't really have the money or resources. If you think about it, the briefing room scene in ANH is attended by all white British actors - why? 'Cause that's what GL had available.

By the time we got to ROTJ - in that very short scene on the Rebel Command Ship we see pilots and commandos of a variety of different races. I think if he had the ability to do so, GL would love to go back and vary the race/species of the pilots in ANH, the Hoth Speeder pilots in ESB and add even more races to the briefing room in ROTJ.

As far as figures go, I'm all for anything that gets us a new sculpt - the idea of getting a female Rebel Pilot body, is great IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I'm wanting a nice Snowspeeder Luke too... hopefully these aren't just Zev bodies with new heads.

You really thing they could be? I doubt it. Evolutions is a brand name. They've got me for an extra set at least on these to make an "evo" snowspeeder Luke.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2008, 09:52 AM »
This can't be it, I think would an least one main character in each of the pilots sets.  And didn't hasbro say that a new Wedge is coming in one way or another (but not Basic) ?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I'm wanting a nice Snowspeeder Luke too... hopefully these aren't just Zev bodies with new heads.

You really thing they could be? I doubt it. Evolutions is a brand name. They've got me for an extra set at least on these to make an "evo" snowspeeder Luke.

The key phrase I meant was, "... hopefully these aren't just Zev bodies with new heads."

I doubt we'd see such a blatant cheap move by Hasbro on these sets.  Though I'm really wondering why there would be two Rebel pilot sets, seems to be a bit Rebel pilot overkill.

As for Twi'lek pilots, I have no problem with it.  Just because you don't see them in ROTJ doesn't mean they weren't there, and as the Rebellion continued to inflict damage on the Empire, more and more alien races joined in the fight.

Plus, we all know that Twi'lek women can be a force to be reckoned with.   ;)

Not to mention hotter than sin.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Though I'm really wondering why there would be two Rebel pilot sets, seems to be a bit Rebel pilot overkill.

Well, we were practically begging them to do something like this - there were piles of "head swap" pilot questions sent into the Q&As last year and it's something that is constantly mentioned in the forums.  ;)

If they need to do instant repaint sets like this to balance out the cost of new molds (like they did with the Clone Evo set last time), then I am fine with it.  Let's hope they sell well and then they can do the same for the basic Rebel Troops (RFT, Hoth, Endor).

Plus, we all know that Twi'lek women can be a force to be reckoned with.   ;)

Except that Shaak Ti isn't Twi'lek - she's Togruta.   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Well, we were practically begging them to do something like this - there were piles of "head swap" pilot questions sent into the Q&As last year and it's something that is constantly mentioned in the forums.  ;)

I know some people were... but I never was.  I've been piloted to death... I think I'd be fine without a Rebel pilot for another 2-3 years... they're just not that interesting to me...

Except that Shaak Ti isn't Twi'lek - she's Togruta.   :-X

Close enough.   ;)

...better?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2008, 11:13 AM »

I am totally for this...but I view these a premium way to get movie figures...not EU Crapola.  The local Targets and Wallys are plugged full of Kofi Annan 2 packs.  Not sure why they think a bunch of EU pilots will sell better than something like mixing in a Red Leader, Snowspeeder Luke or Wedge.  I like the concept but hate the finished idea.  Leave the EU stuff out of these packs IMO

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2008, 11:31 AM »
I think I agree Scott... the Comic Packs seem to be a great format for introducing EU characters into the line.  I'm not saying that Evolutions will flop because of this, but I'd rather see it stick to movie characters.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I am totally for this...but I view these a premium way to get movie figures...not EU Crapola.  The local Targets and Wallys are plugged full of Kofi Annan 2 packs.  Not sure why they think a bunch of EU pilots will sell better than something like mixing in a Red Leader, Snowspeeder Luke or Wedge.  I like the concept but hate the finished idea.  Leave the EU stuff out of these packs IMO

I agree with you Scott.  I kind of look at the Evolutions packs as the alternative to the VOTC/VTSC (and I think Hasbro has sort of said as much as well), and I kind of hope to get "movie" figures in these packs - at least the majority of them.  The Comic Packs have proved to be a good avenue for EU stuff, and I'd be fine if it (for the most part) stayed there for now.  I'd rather see a new Wedge, Snowspeeder Luke, and others than the EU characters (in this line).  Plus, in the Imperial packs, although the SAGA version was nice, I wouldn't mind seeing a new, SA TIE Pilot (or something along those lines as well).  Of course, we haven't seen pics of any of these yet, but I like your point about leaving the EU out of these packs.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I think I'd be fine without a Rebel pilot for another 2-3 years... they're just not that interesting to me...

Well, I am one of those who would like to see every Rogue Squadron pilot out there (A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, E-Wing, etc) get a figure.  I love the books and the comics, so I would love figures for (most of) the characters.

Some people may prefer, oh I don't know, new playsets instead of these rebel pilot packs, but that's the way it is.  You can't please everyone all the time.  Some people get what they want, others have to keep waiting for what they want.   ;)

but I view these a premium way to get movie figures...not EU Crapola. 

Unfortunately, I think EU Crapola is the way of the future for the whole line...  :-X

I really don't have a problem with EU in these sets.  In fact, I think I'd rather see the "big name" EU characters in the Evo sets to have them done right then be in the Comic Packs and listen to everyone bitch about how they got them wrong (re: Vos and Fel) only to end up having to see them again (re: Vos and Fel).   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Hmmm... the more I think about it, I'm contradicting myself with what I want out of the Evolution sets.  I say I don't want EU stuff, but I love seeing the KOTOR Sith in a set.  And Mandalore.

I guess I'm just not that excited about pilots.   :-\

Snowspeeder Luke though?  Yes please.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2008, 02:25 PM »
For me I view these rebel pilot sets as a great way for hasbro to have the bodies to put out some SA figures in the coming years.  new head = SA Hoth Luke,  New SA Wedge and YES BIGGS too - long live biggs (or until he dies a firey death in his x-wing in the Death Star Trench.)   Yes it would be great to get these figs first and then have the bodies reused for EU ones.  But we are getting some love for the rebellion. If you don't like them here is where you can save some green for that mammoth AT-TE we all know is not officially coming.   Now if these rebs all come with Jango heads then we have a problem. 
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2008, 09:17 PM »
I agree - I think these sets give Hasbro an excellent way to deliver some more SA rebel pilot bodies that can then be used to generate other rebel pilots in the future.

I have no doubt that the SA Wes Janson figure will one day be turned into SA Snowspeeder Pilot versions of Luke, Dak and Wedge.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!