Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 158643 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2008, 02:59 PM »
The staff is from the Fett Legacy set.  That goes with Mandalore.  And the electricity goes with the Secret Apprentice (apprentice version).  If you check out the package back you'll see where those should go.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 25, 2008, 03:44 PM »
The staff is pretty cool, but the electro pieces are kind of lame... I threw them away on both of my Apprentice sets.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Just another gentle reminder for anyone who has an extra Boba Evolutions- I'll take him!  I'm not sure if we're doing a 3-way split or not, but I haven't seen this set anywhere yet.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2008, 04:50 PM »
But with this headsculpt, a X-Wing Pilot Janson would look as odd as the Comic Pack Hobbie. :(

I agree the Hobbie is strange because he has a Snowspeeder-style headsculpt but an X-Wing body; but I personally am so glad for the Janson the way he is.  The head wrap is accurate to Echo base briefing scenes without the helmet, or with for Snowspeeder displaying.  Besides, if they make a Rogue Squadron version, they have to use a different body anyway, so a new headsculpt shouldn't be too hard to make.  I am surprised though how many collectors are more interested in getting EU styling or characters over film ones; it wasn't that long ago that a perfect version of a Snowspeeder pilot (like this Janson) was always first priority over an EU novel character (not to pick on that example, Corran, just making an observation  :-*)

No worries Daigo-bah. I just happen to think that for Hasbro to get the most bang for its buck (and ours) a fully sculpted head for Janson would have been the best move. If you think about it, we don't even see Janson without his helmet on in ESB so why bother with the headwrap, just give the guy a full head of hair and whatnot.

As for getting EU-styled characters over film ones, to me it depends on the importance. This Evolutions pack is a great example. Ten Nunb and the female pilot aren't important at all to the overall saga, hell Hasbro can't get Ten Nunb's uniform colored properly and the female was pretty much cut from the movie. Meanwhile, important characters to the overall Star Wars Universe like Corran Horn (come on you knew I had to throw that out there  :P), the Yuuzhan Vong, K'Khruk, etc aren't being made. Now had the Evolutions set come with pilots who had at least some dialogue or were seen for more than a brief glimpse in the background then that would be superb. This won't stop me from getting the set, the more pilots the better, just a little better thinking on what should be included is all I ask.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29 PM »
The staff is from the Fett Legacy set.  That goes with Mandalore.  And the electricity goes with the Secret Apprentice (apprentice version).  If you check out the package back you'll see where those should go.

You sure about that?  The Mandalore has a big ax shaped thing and a shield, and while I could be mistaken I could have sworn this staff came with the sith set...

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35 PM »
The Mandalore has a big ax shaped thing and a shield, and while I could be mistaken I could have sworn this staff came with the sith set...

Um, no.  The staff goes with the Mandalore, along with the shield and ax.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51 PM »
The Mandalore has a big ax shaped thing and a shield, and while I could be mistaken I could have sworn this staff came with the sith set...

Um, no.  The staff goes with the Mandalore, along with the shield and ax.

Correct.

The only accessories that come with the Sith set are the lightsabers for each Sith Lord plus the orbalisk armor pieces for Darth Bane.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44 PM »
Gotten two of each set... the staff is definitely Mandalore's.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2008, 11:29 AM »
I got a chance to open up the two Evolution sets I got over the weekend (Fett and Jedi), and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed.  If this is Hasbro's way of getting "VOTC quality" prequel figures (without putting them on "vintage style cards"), I think its a good idea.  I know a lot of us weren't fans of the idea of putting prequel figures on VOTC cards, and the Evo sets offer a good opportunity to get some nice prequel figures out there.  Anyways, the Qui-Gon and Jango are two top notch figures (not to mention Bultar Swan and Boba), and even the lesser talked about figures like Luke and Mandalore are well done.  I'd really like to see this Qui-Gon and Jango released on basic cards some day, and hopefully we'll see that happen eventually.  Although I'm may be more of an OT fan overall, its really nice to see some "ultimate" style resculpts of prequel figures long overdue like Qui-Gon and Jango, and hopefully some TPM/AOTC Obi, ROTS Grievous, and others are on the way in the future.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:30 AM by Brian »

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 1, 2008, 01:53 PM »
based on one of the videos i have seen for TFU and the T-visor helmet on the sith lord im guessing the character has something to do with Mando's. If thats the case i might just buy this set...still on the fence with it though.

The Jedi set is wicked though..loving that Luke figure, favourite one from the set by far.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 2, 2008, 01:48 AM »
The Jedi set is wicked though..loving that Luke figure, favourite one from the set by far.

Luke really doesn't have any competition, though, does he?  The head sculpt with Qui-Gon blows and Bultar is pretty bland. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 2, 2008, 11:43 PM »
I don't think the Qui Gon's bad at all actually, though his neck is a little long.  Easy fix though.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 3, 2008, 04:00 PM »
The body is ok. I'm just not a fan of the head. I think some of the older quigon heads were better.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 3, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Yeah,like the jedi traning gear one.That's the best head sculpt of Qui-gon,and no funky hair :o
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 4, 2008, 08:48 PM »
just opened the Fett Legacy set and it is just short of perfect but still extremely good. My only gripe about each figure is:

Mando dude: head is almost impossable because of the tubes, and wide leg stance.
Boba: the insignia on his chest plate missing, too long of a cape.
Jango: the wires on his gauntets make his elbows hard to pose.

besides that its perfect.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D: