Author Topic: So whos liking all the EU stuff?  (Read 11395 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
So whos liking all the EU stuff?
« on: August 1, 2007, 04:28 AM »
I know theres a bit of animosity towards a lot of EU, but how many people are liking the amount of EU stuff we've seen? I'm really enjoying a lot of the figures that are coming, the new Mara Jade, Quinlan Vos, and the KOTOR Sith Lords, just to name a few. I find a lot of the characters to be quite visually interesting, and hope that the trend keeps up. I'd love to see more of the guys from KOTOR myself, at the very least an HK-47 and T3-M9 would be awesome. Anyone else happy with the EU stuff being released, or do you think they should stick to just the movies?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: So whos liking all the EU stuff?
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2007, 04:44 AM »
Liking all of it?  Hmmm, no...

Liking some of it though?  Yes...  I'm an older school collector, an OT fan, but I still embrace some expanded universse...  I like the games mostly, but some comics catch my attention for sure, some novels, etc.  I like the idea of EU...  As a customizer some of my favorite figures are "fan fiction" that just basically are made up by the customizer...  I dig that stuff.

For me, I've been particulary into/impressed with the Comic Book 2-packs...  The Crimson Empire pack was outstanding I thought, the Vos/Villie pack is really nice and I'm not even into those characters/storyline at all.  I'm a little disappointed that a lot of the new figures are utilizing less articulation (usually the knees) but at the same time, I feel the price is dead on and the source material is fun and fresh in Star Wars.

The Clone Commandoes are great too...  I'm digging that we get Omega Squad in the upcoming EE packs, and I liked the 7-pack we got, though again I'm disappointed that EU figures again lack knee articulation...  Especially Clones.

McQuarrie Concept is outstanding and my only bitch here is that you cannot find it...  Hasbro's distribution of the Concept sub-line has been nothing short of ****.  1-per-case figures are a friggin' travesty in this hobby because they're just such a prime target (when they're new figures anyway) for the unsavory side of collecting...  Why not just ship them to the little private toy shops in every city and simply cut out the middle-man of Target?  ::)

So far though, that's some cool EU...  Same with the green A-Wing really.  There's good stuff there...  But there's always a flip side to this.

I'm easily over the "let's paint it black" fad...  Shadow Clone?  Stormtrooper?  Scout Trooper?  Yeah that sucks, especially for the price.  It's just getting old...  I dig Omega Squad because they have a basis, but these others really have no basis like that.  Stormtroopers do, but really not a "strong" one to me.

I dig the made up Mandalores coming up, but I do feel that's a slippery slope...  Hasbro really could start taking serious liberties with that kind of idea.  It can get worse I'm sure.

There's some definitely crummier EU too...  I can't stand the Marvel packs for instance.  To me, ****** paintjobs on old figures does not equate EU figures.  It equates ****** paintjobs on substandard figures as far as I'm concerned and should be abandoned.  Only the Fett pack appeals to me, and that's mainly because Fett looks kind of cool and the droid will pass in any diorama.

Other EU just won't appeal to me at all too I'm sure...  That one Sith guy in the upcoming Evolutions set is just freakin' ugly and doesn't look like it "fits in" to me.  Nihilus I dig, the Maul's ok to me, but that Bane guy is just meh...

For me, EU's just a mixed bag.  A new Thrawn would rock, a Zero-G Spacetrooper based on the original West End Games design would be a dream come true, but Yuzahn Vong I could live without ever seeing on the pegs personally.  Throw me a Noghri, throw me some Rogue Squad Pilots, or some NJO Jedi (even though I'm not as into that EU, I dig the Jedi characters)...  There's definitely a mix of good and bad in the EU, but I think Hasbro's being pretty good about being picky on it...  so far.  And they've not jumped the shark (with me) on anything they've kind of just "made up", but they're real close.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I am enjoying it. The toruble with EU, is that there is so much of it and no one person is goingt o be happy with the selections Hasbro is making. There are other story lines i would prefer for figures before ones they have chosen. Other than that, likei said, i am enjoying it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I like the McQ stuff and the "Just off screen" type OT stuff.  After that if it is a random Jedi/Sith/Clone from 1000 years before the OT, then it isn't Star Wars to me.  So I have selective EU-ism.  And I consider the PT EU as well and it sucks of course.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2007, 09:18 AM »
I think the quality of the EU stuff is just fine. I'm just not interested in it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2007, 10:24 AM »
I'm not bothered by it so far - I don't think I'd go so far as to say I'm liking it.

This is probably because I don't read the comic books - so all these comic book characters mean almost nothing to me.  If they start focusing on the novels at some point, I'd probably get real into this stuff.  I'd love to see a focused subline like a 30 figure NJO line that comes in random waves, or a dozen figures from the Heir to the Empire trilogy, or something like that.

As it stands, the quality seems to be pretty good on most of the sculpts and builds... the EU wave looks pretty solid, the EU sith Evolutions set looks stellar to me...  So all-in-all I'm doing okay with it. 

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2007, 11:40 AM »
I'm cool with most of it. Some I could do without.

I can't wait for the Legacy figures. Imperial Knights, Officers, redux Stormtroopers!  Not to mention more Jedi, etc.
That story has some real potential.

Just need to get more people reading the comic to get interested in the figures.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2007, 11:40 AM »
I love it so far.

The comic 2-packs are a great deal, can't beat two figures and a comic for $10. McQuarrie figures rock, but like many have said, are hard to find. I can't wait for some of the upcoming stuff, like the Mara Jade comic pack, and the rereleased Crimson Empire comic pack.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2007, 11:44 AM »
I think its great. The Comic packs are a great deal, and the Mcfigures are the best thing thats come out of Hasbro in a long time. I also think that the EU wave of TAC stuff looks like it'll be the best wave of TAC this year. So yeah, I like the EU stuff.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2007, 11:56 AM »
Being a huge fan of the EU I love most of it. I love the stuff from the comics and books mostly but the Hasbro inspired EU stuff (i.e. Shadow Biker Scout, Covert Ops Trooper) is really not for me anymore.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2007, 12:09 PM »
I'm not so much into 'Hasbro dreamed' items either. I'm also not into Hasbro making an item calling it something when it really doesn't even represent that EU character(see Storm commando).

Since I've been really into SW graphic Novels and comic books the last couple years, I've really been ready for this EU push. I'm mostly welcoming it with the exception above of course.

DS

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2007, 12:20 PM »
I'm not so much into 'Hasbro dreamed' items either. I'm also not into Hasbro making an item calling it something when it really doesn't even represent that EU character(see Storm commando)

I'd agree with that - and slapping the design team's heads onto figures doesn't do anything for me either.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2007, 12:29 PM »
It's really a natural time to get EU into the line, what with the movies done.

I'm not crazy about the Marvel comic 2-packs, but they're okay to a degree.  I've read most, if not all of the Dark Horse titles so it's a bit easier for me to get into those sets.

I think Evolutions is a fine platform with which to get into the EU.  Getting characters like Darth Bane, Darth Nihilus, Mandalore and NJO Luke is very cool.  Especially since some may not be well suited to the Comic 2-pack format.

The EU basic figures are cool.  Especially the KOTOR and Clone Wars offerings.  I'm very stoked for Darth Malak and Darth Revan as well as Roron Corobb and CW Yoda.

As for the EE set?  Hmmm.  This one I'm on the fence about a tiny bit.  Case in point, the armor of one of the Mandalorians pretty much matches that of an EU Mandalorian named Kal Skirata.  But is that his name?  Nope.  Generating new characters for the sole purpose of making new figures seems to me like jumping the shark.  So I'm still a little skeptical about buying the EE Mandalorian and Clone sets.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Being a huge fan of the EU I love most of it. I love the stuff from the comics and books mostly but the Hasbro inspired EU stuff (i.e. Shadow Biker Scout, Covert Ops Trooper) is really not for me anymore.

Yup.

:P

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2007, 12:58 PM »

Yup.

:P

I'll third that sentiment.   I really love the EU and I was so thrilled when the orignal EU POTF figures came out and I'm happy that Hasblo has brought more attention to the EU but there are so many characters they can choose from that they haven't done before that I'd rather see.   A new Thrawn should have been at the TOP of the list, there's Daala, Isard (both of 'em!), Rogue Squadron Pilots, ... the list is all but infinite!    And what's with  "Comic Pack" from Revenge of th Sith?   What a pocking cop-out!   C'mon Hasblo- give some new characters... give us some new tooling- cut back on the pack-ins if necessary for cryin' out loud!

Jeff
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"