Author Topic: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Special Edition DVD!!!!  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Special Edition DVD!!!!
« on: June 11, 2003, 01:36 PM »
Well today I finshed my schoolwork early and I decided to do a lil shopping with my mom before class started. Well I walk into Target and lo and behold what do I see, but Robin Hood Prince of Thieves on DVD!!!! I flipped, it's one of my favorite movies and I didn't know it was being released. It's a two disk set with 12 minutes of never before seen footage added back into the film. The customary 5.1 surround sound and DTS surround sound, digitally remastered print, commentaries by the main actors, making of documentary, old interviews of the actors from when the movie came out, and some more stuff. The movie has been out on DVD, but like the original Tombstone DVD, it was bare bones, but now both Tombstone and Roin Hood have spiffy Special Editions!!!!!! I know what I am doing when I get home tonight!! I figured alot of you like this movie, so definatly go out and pick it up. Oh and I only saw it at Target
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 02:06 PM by Lady Jaye »
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Special Edition DVD!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 02:03 PM »
I hear ya' LJ!  I've been keeping an eye for this one myself in recent weeks after hearing about it.  I had actually picked up the older "bare bones"/standard version a couple months ago, so was less than thrilled when I heard a brand new suped up version was already in the pipeline and coming soon.  Fortunately for me though, I haven't opened my other one, and still have my 2.5 month old receipt, so back to Walmart it will be going very soon for a full refund, to be replaced by this new deluxe edition!   8)

These "Deluxe Special Edition" DVDs that have been coming out more and more lately (replacing the previous standard DVD offering) are really starting to test some of our nerves.  Several of us have already been discussing this sore subject in a couple other threads (including the Pet Peeves thread).  This treatment has also recently happened to Stargate, Sixth Sense, Black Hawk Down, Dances with Wolves, Terminator 2, etc., etc...   :-\

So basically, if you want the best DVD product of any given hit movie, and don't want to buy 2 different DVDs, you almost have to wait for the 2nd version to eventually show up a year or two later.   ::)  Aggravating...

But I enjoyed this Robin Hood flick, so I'm stoked to get this suped up version with the extra 12 minutes of footage inserted.  Now I just have to figure out who's got the best price on it out there right now!   ;)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 02:13 PM »
I know exactly what you mean JM. For the longest time I have wanted to buy Tonmbstone on DVD, but I knew the one that was released was a bare bones one with nothing added. But I held on and hoped that one day a Special Edition would be released and my wait and patience paid off. The Special Edition is beautiful and the extra scenes really fill in the movie perfectly. There are some crucial scenes that make more sence out of the movie. Just like Die Hard had been in DVD format since DVD's first came out, but I waited for the Special Edition and it is killer. In fact I do not buy any bare bones DVD's anymore, I wait until they release a Special Edition version. So my advice is, if there is a movie that you like wait until the Special Edition comes out, cause more than likely it will be released. Unless it's a crappy movie that no one else like but you!!!!! :D ;) Then you gotta take what you can get!!!! LOL!!
-Vincent

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 02:25 PM »
I have the first release of this DVD where you have to flip the disc over halfway through the movie. It is a real bummer. So naturaly I will be picking up this version. I have always liked this movie.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 02:43 PM »
Ewwww, you have to flip it over!!! I hate that, and that is the main reason I never got a Laserdisk player!!!! Who in their right mind wants to get up and flip a disk over. I am glad for double layered disks. Although the pause may be awkward, it's not half as awkward as getting up and flipping the disk.

Yup nothing but Special Editions in my collection. That way I can limit myself on the movies I get. I really wanted to get Grease II, but it's bare bones too, sucks, cause I really love that movie. It's the one I grew up watching, in fact I can still sing most of the songs.

Here is a question for you guys, what movies are you hoping they release a Special Edition of? Me I want these movies to be given the treatment:

Goodfellas
Predator
Rocky IV
Dick Tracy
Grease II
Batman Mask of the Phantasm (I know this one is a stretch, but I remember seeing this and Tombstone the day they both came out!!!)
-Vincent

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 02:54 PM »
Here is a question for you guys, what movies are you hoping they release a Special Edition of? Me I want these movies to be given the treatment:

Goodfellas
Predator
Rocky IV
Dick Tracy
Grease II...

Funny that you picked just Rocky IV there LJ, as that's my favorite from the series, just because of the intense training scenes and the awesome music!

So why don't you want a Grease Special Edition DVD LJ?  Just a fan of the Pfiefer version, but not the original?  Grease would definitely be at the top of my list for a special edition, since I don't think the current one really counts.  I'd also add in Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Titanic, and Top Gun as well for those in need of a new Deluxe Version...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 03:04 PM »
I too have the old one, but might upgrade.  I'll pass the old one along to my sister in law.

I'm almost postive special editions are coming for Goodfellas, Predator, Top Gun, Shawshank Redemption and Scarface.  Some of them might even have release dates already.

I'm happy with my Gladiator and SPR dvds so wouldn't upgrade them.  I wouldn't expect SEs for them anytime soon, though, Matt.  The current ones are both excellent.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 03:54 PM »
I'm waiting most patiently for The English Patient myself.   ;D  Oh, and these pesky little Star Wars movies from the '80's...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 05:11 PM »
Well JM, you know what they say about great minds!!! ;) Rockly IV is my all time favorite, simply because of Drago. The one role in which Dolph didn't get the shaft. Yea, those Drago training scenes are sweet, all that technology!!! Plus he has the p[impest line in the mocie: "If he dies, he dies." And he the way he said it, brings shivers to my spine. The setting is also sweet, right in the heart of mother Russia, during the Cold War no less. I have to say when they play the Russian national anthem it seems so much majestic than any other anthem I've heard. In fact I'm humming the tune right now as I type. ;D

Hey Mikey D, where did you read/hear this?? If it is true then I am happy, both Goodfellas and Predator are must owns in anyones collection. So far some very good Specail Editions have come out for 80's movies:

Robocop, the Criterion Collection
Die Hard Special Edition
Willow
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Indiana Jones Trilogy (soon to be :D)

The question still stands; what other 80's flicks deserve the treatment???

How about the Karate Kid??? (Could that movie still stand today???)
Gremlins???
Rambo First Blood Part II
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Retrun of the Jedi
The Breakfast Club??? (I would so want that one!!!!)

What other movies??????
-Vincent

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 12:55 AM »
Yes!!! The Breakfast Club!!   ;D

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 07:20 AM »
I'll see what I can dig up LJ.  I believe there's a ongoing thread over at dvdtalk that talks about all rumored and confirmed upcoming DVDs.  And I do believe Breakfast Club is on it.  (There is a bare bones one out now if you really want it)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 07:31 AM »
Re-release list

BC, GF, Predator SE are all on tap for this year  ;D

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 11:24 AM »
Really sweeeet! I can't wait for the Predator Special Edition, hands down it's definately my favorite Arnie movie.

Goodfellas is the best mob movie ever, on tap performances by Joe Pesci, Robert DeNiro, and Ray (Tommy in Vice City) Liotta!!!! And I can't wait for the Special Edition

Finally the Breakfast Club. The funny thing is that I didn't see it originally in the theatres, I was too young and at the time I probably would have thought it boring. You know the kids rule: has to be a fun movie! ;) But when I finally did see it, I loved it. And now to see how old all the stars are, it's funny.

Anymore movies need the Special Edition treatment????

Oh and the extra scenes in Eobin Hood definatley shed some new light on the Sheriff, especially his relationship with the witch!!!!! Gotta rent it at least.
-Vincent