Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 121621 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Pats and Pack will win Sunday.  One game will be a blowout, the other will be competitive.  I'll let others figure out which.

And then we'll have (not the original) LT bitching and moaning and calling the Pats classless.

And then we'll have two weeks of the media sucking Brett Favre off.

And then we'll have 95% of the country rooting for the NFC team.

And then we'll have the only 19-0 team in NFL history...

That's about right, though the media sucks off Brady as much as they love Favre these days.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2008, 10:20 PM »
That's about right, though the media sucks off Brady as much as they love Favre these days.   ::)

No way in hell is that true...it is not even close.  The difference is that Favre is a mediocre QB who is one hell of a leader and has set all of these records based on pain pills and sheer luck and almost every single announcer out there will give him a hand job if they had the chance.

Brady is probably the best QB that has ever played the game and deserves every blow job he can get...

Answer me this...how many times has Tom Brady's Girlfriend been interviewed during a game?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32 AM »

No way in hell is that true...it is not even close.  The difference is that Favre is a mediocre QB who is one hell of a leader and has set all of these records based on pain pills and sheer luck and almost every single announcer out there will give him a hand job if they had the chance.

Brady is probably the best QB that has ever played the game and deserves every blow job he can get...

Answer me this...how many times has Tom Brady's Girlfriend been interviewed during a game?

I don't think a mediocre QB would have records for most TD passes, most wins, longest starting streak, etc.  Favre does all this with jack for receivers, no consistent running game, a suspect o-line, but he's just lucky? You're chalking this up to luck?  Favre has earned his props and the fact that you have to keep going back to an addiction to painkillers as the worst thing he's ever done is a testiment to his character. 

Is Brady a great QB? Sure, but the facts are that he just hasn't been around as long, he has a mastermind coach, and he has receiver talent up the wazoo.  I also think Maroney and Dillon are better than anything the Packers have put on the field since Favre took over.  As for interviewing his girlfriend - maybe its just too hard to figure out who he's dating impregnated at any given time?  He still gets slobbered all over by the announcers in every Pats game I've seen this year.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2008, 09:09 AM »

I don't think a mediocre QB would have records for most TD passes, most wins, longest starting streak, etc.  Favre does all this with jack for receivers, no consistent running game, a suspect o-line, but he's just lucky?

Favre did have good receivers in the past, and present.  In recent memory Javon Walker, Donald Driver, and Greg Jennings are nothing to sneeze at.

Is Brady a great QB? Sure, but the facts are that he just hasn't been around as long, he has a mastermind coach, and he has receiver talent up the wazoo. 

Brady won 3 Super Bowls with **** for receivers before this season.  In the past, he had the likes of David Patten and Deion Branch catching like 6 TDs per year.  The most remarkable thing about Brady was that he spread the ball around so much.  In those 3 championship years, he threw TD passes to like 14 different receivers or some bizarre statistic like that.  Yes, this year he finally has Moss/Welker.  But he had nothing of the sort in the past.

I also think Maroney and Dillon are better than anything the Packers have put on the field since Favre took over. 

I don't know, Ahman Green was a force in the day.  Maroney really hasn't done ****.  Dillon wasn't there very long, maybe 2 seasons.

Anyhow, you won't need to worry about the Favre vs. Brady thing in the media - because it's going to be Eli Manning vs. Tom Brady.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2008, 09:21 AM »
To me stats are about as meaningless as they come (see Daunte Culpepper, Vinny Testeverde), congrats on all the records etc but to me the measure of greatness is winning when it counts and Favre 95% of the time he chokes.   And I do think the Packers have had more than a decent running game, Levens and Ahman Green (A 4 time Pro Bowler!) were both studs for more than a couple of years, Ryan Grant is a lot of the reason they have been able to win so much this year and why I think they will win on Sunday.

Favre has won three big games in his entire career and outside of this year Brady has had far far worse receivers than Favre has had.  Javon Walker, Freeman, Sharpe, Driver etc are far far better than the crap that the Patriots were trotting out when they won 3 Super Bowls.  That run in '97 and '98 was way more Reggie White than anything Favre did.  I won't say he sucks, I'll even call him good but he is not even close to being this phenomenal love god the media has for him...Top 10 of all time?  Maybe...

Brady
Montana
Manning
Bradshaw
Young
Elway
Marino
Unitas
Aikman
Tarkenton

And the reason I keep bringing up the drugs is that I seriously doubt he would be setting any of these records if he wasn't taking pain pills as much as he was for the first half of his career.  You also forgot one of the most important records he has, which is the interception record.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2008, 09:32 AM »

I don't think a mediocre QB would have records for most TD passes, most wins, longest starting streak, etc.  Favre does all this with jack for receivers, no consistent running game, a suspect o-line, but he's just lucky? You're chalking this up to luck?  Favre has earned his props and the fact that you have to keep going back to an addiction to painkillers as the worst thing he's ever done is a testiment to his character. 

I like Favre.  I think he's a good guy, humble, a good family man, etc.  But don't act like the media doesn't fawn over him every chance they get.  Hell, Madden practically wants to **** him everytime he sees him.  Does he deserve it?  I think he's earned it, but I just don't think it needs to get as overblown as it has with him.

and he has receiver talent up the wazoo. 

This year, sure.  How do you explain the past years when he receivers like Donald Hayes, Reche Caldwell, Bethel Johnson and Troy Brown?  I love Troy Brown and everything he's done for the Pats, but he isn't a big time receiver.

As for interviewing his girlfriend - maybe its just too hard to figure out who he's dating impregnated at any given time? 

Want to know how many girlfriends Brady's had in the last five or six years?  Two.  So stop acting like Brady's out there ******* everything that walks and knocking numerous chicks up.  He has one child, a product of a very long term relationship.  They just happened to break up before she found out she was pregnant.  It happens.  Now he's dating Gisele.  So it shouldn't be too hard to find his girlfriend for an interview.  They just choose to keep their private lives exactly that - private.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I never said the media doesn't fawn over him.  I said the media fawns over Brady just as much as they do Favre now.  I suggest you try to read posts, take a minute to understand what is said, then post a rational response.  ;)

Let's look at a few facts here:

- Favre is not lucky or mediocre.  The Packers have had ONE losing season under his leadership out of 16 seasons.  Find me another QB playing today with anything similar.

- He does not choke 95% of the time.  You might need to take remedial math.  If anything, I think Favre has more comeback 4th quarter victories than anyone playing right now.

- Does he have a lot of interceptions?  You bet!  Guess who else cares more about winning than his own personal stats?  Favre had a ton of interceptions because he was the only playmaker on the team and was doing what he could to win games.  If anything, he's probably guilty of taking on too much of the responsibility for winning.

- He has not had great receivers to work with, nor a decent running game for most of his career.  Walker? Ahman Green? Levens?  Favre's play made these guys better, not the other way around.  Jennings has been good this year, but it remains to be seen if he's that good or if Favre is making him look that good.  What has Walker done in Denver? What has Green done in Houston? Freeman couldn't even get a job after he left the Packers!  Has Ryan Grant been doing well? Heck yeah.  Were the Packers dominating the first half of the season without him?  Ooops, yes they were.   :-[

- Yeah he admitted to taking painkillers.  Big whoop.  I'd bet every player in the league takes something for pain following their weekly punishment on the field.  Well, maybe not kickers. Anyway, its not the same as taking steroids - I don't get how you think his play was so much better because of an addiction to pain killers?  The guy comfessed to a personal problem and that's all you've got against him.

- Favre isn't trotting his wife around for media attention.  If they want to interview her, that's their choice.  She happens to come to most of his games and I've seen her interviewed twice in 16 years.  Wow, that's some heavy media coverage!  Maybe his girlfriends just don't come to the games.  There certainly isn't as much of a story to them as someone surviving breast cancer.  I never said Brady slept with every woman out there, but I don't know a lot of real credible guys that have dumped an ex while she was pregnant.  Isn't Gisele pregnant too?  But they're not married?  No offense, but that track record is not likely to win him popularity contests as a family man. 

Brady may not always have had great receivers either, but look at what he can do when he gets a Moss - a perfect season so far.  Favre's never had anyone like that. I can't believe anyone thinks that Dillon and Maroney haven't helped his game in the past.  These guys are top tier RBs - Dillon has several rushing records and Maroney scored what 15 TDs last year?  Yeah, he's been quiet this year, but that's because they don't need him with Moss scoring 23 TDs.  Brady also has the advantage of having a coach who is considered a coaching genius - Favre hasn't had very noteworthy guys calling the plays.  I'll also add that Favre has been around a lot longer and is in the twilight of his career, so he's had a lot longer to grow on people.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2008, 11:11 AM »

- Favre is not lucky or mediocre.  The Packers have had ONE losing season under his leadership out of 16 seasons.  Find me another QB playing today with anything similar.

Tom Brady.  Granted it's not 16 years, but his worst season was 2002 was 9-7 and missed the playoffs because of a tiebreaker with the Jets. 

Guess who else cares more about winning than his own personal stats? 

Tom Brady

but I don't know a lot of real credible guys that have dumped an ex while she was pregnant. 

I suggest you try to read posts, take a minute to understand what is said, then post a rational response.   ;)

Isn't Gisele pregnant too?  

Nope.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2008, 01:32 PM »
What has Walker done in Denver? What has Green done in Houston?

Um, get injured?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2008, 02:02 PM »
At least the Packers and Pats have reliable QB's...

:-\

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2008, 02:14 PM »

Well, the Patriots do.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46 PM »

Well, the Patriots do.

Favre isn't reliable?

Most consecutive games started
Most TD's
Most passing yards
Most wins
3 Time league MVP

He threw for almost 4,200 yards this year with 28 TD's and 15 INT's while completing 67% of his passes. 

Elected to the 2007 Pro-bowl and probably would have won the MVP if not for Brady's ridiculous record-setting season.

He'll be playing at home, where the Packers have lost exactly one playoff game in team history.  They have a massive home field advantage.

I know you're pimping your team here, but try to be objective - especially with that bastion of reliability, Eli Manning, helming your team.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:01 PM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2008, 03:02 PM »
We'll trade you the three-headed monster from Chicago anyday for 1/2 of Favre.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #358 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04 PM »
He'll be playing at home, where the Packers have lost exactly one playoff game in team history.  They have a massive home field advantage.

Actually...Vikes and Falcons both thumped them at Lambeau in 2003 and 2004
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:06 PM by Scott »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41 PM »
My bad.

Either way, Favre is 43-5 when the temperature is below 34 degrees.  I'd say that's pretty consistent.