Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 121649 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #465 on: February 4, 2008, 01:14 PM »

There should be rules in regards to the coaching staff and their attire.  Remember the good ol' days when coaches wore suits and ties? 

I know.  Guys like Landry and Lombardi looked like men back in the day with the suits and ties.  Now there are actually NFL rules saying that coaches can only wear suits or something like that 2 times a season.  The rest of the season these guys have to wear team attire.  WTF kind of rule is that?

And Kraft should say SOMETHING to Bellichick.  He dresses like a shlub on the sidelines.  Not like the head coach of one of the best teams in professional football.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 4, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Now there are actually NFL rules saying that coaches can only wear suits or something like that 2 times a season.  The rest of the season these guys have to wear team attire.  WTF kind of rule is that?

That's really interesting.  I don't see the Jaguars that much, but it seems that Jack Del Rio is in a suit every time I do see him.

So busy since yesterday, but Dressel's Super Bowl take a little later!

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 4, 2008, 01:54 PM »
You can wear team attire and still look professional:

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 4, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Anyone else think Manning DIDN'T deserve the MVP?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 4, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Who else you going to give it to?  All 11 players on the Giants D?

Eli did have those 2 fumbles (both recovered by the Giants) and the INT (off a tip, not really his fault), but did also drive the Giants 85 yards with no timeouts and under 2 minutes left to win the game.  I'd say he was deserving.

And it pains me to say that.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 4, 2008, 02:44 PM »

From the scoring standpoint, he deserves it.  But how could you award the MVP to an entire D-Line?

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 4, 2008, 02:46 PM »
There's a trend in the NFL where the team that loses the Superbowl misses the playoffs the next year... I think that since 2001, every team except one has had that happen.  I'm pretty sure the Pats will come out and still win 12-14 games next year though.

Agreed.  I think that both the Pats and the Giants will be back in the playoffs next year.

Really?  You think it will be a rematch of this year's Super Bowl?  I would put any amount of money on these two not facing each other again next year.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 4, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Now there are actually NFL rules saying that coaches can only wear suits or something like that 2 times a season.  The rest of the season these guys have to wear team attire.  WTF kind of rule is that?

That's really interesting.  I don't see the Jaguars that much, but it seems that Jack Del Rio is in a suit every time I do see him.

So busy since yesterday, but Dressel's Super Bowl take a little later!

Jack Del Rio has been one of the coaches that's been pushing for this.  I've seen him wear suits on the sidelines, but supposedly the rule is twice a season.

It's probably some marketing/merchandising thing, where they want the coaches to wear the licensed merchandise.  Effectively making them some kind of a living advertisment.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 4, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Eli led two come-back drives in the 4th quarter.

I can't think of any one who deserved it more.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 4, 2008, 03:39 PM »

Agreed.  I think that both the Pats and the Giants will be back in the playoffs next year.

Really?  You think it will be a rematch of this year's Super Bowl?  I would put any amount of money on these two not facing each other again next year.

He said they'd both be back in the playoffs.  Not back in the Super Bowl.

I also think they'll both be back in the playoffs.  Of course, JediJman, you haven't given the Giants a stitch of credit all throughout the playoffs, while I remained confident they could compete with any team in this league.

The Patriots may take a hit if they don't pay Moss, he could be in another jersey next season.  I think Welker and Stallworth are good, but of course that's when Moss has 2+ defenders on him deep down the field.  I'm not sure Welker will be as effective underneath, without the deep threat Moss on the field.

At any rate, they are both playoff teams next year barring injury.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2008, 03:40 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #475 on: February 4, 2008, 03:46 PM »
The Pats will be in the playoffs next year because they are a great team in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL.  If the Giants played Miami and the Jets twice every year they would've had a better record.

The Giants are in the historically, one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.  Three of the 4 teams went to the playoffs this year, and none of them backed into the playoffs.

As far as the coach's attire, I think you can wear team attire and not look like you live under a bridge.  Coughlin looked professional on the sidelines and I like the pic of Ditka as well.  The 49ers' coach also wears a jacket and tie on the sidelines every game, just like his recently departed father always did.

As far as Eli getting the MVP?  Yes he deserves it....avoiding 4 sacks and throwing that pass to Tyree (who made an incredible catch), that play is going to be in NFL films right next to the Immaculate Reception from when Terry Bradshaw played.  That play along with the win just ensured both of their inductions into the Hall of Fame.

I hope Eli starts getting a fair shake in the NY press...they've been brutal on him the past three years.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 4, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I think Eli deserved the MVP. I previously ripped on Eli yearly this year, but he has matured and not shown the jitters recently. He's earned my respect as a QB. I might not like him (or the Giants) when he plays my Eagles, but they were outstanding last night. But Eli escaping that seeming-certain sack to get that pass completed was one of the best highlights one can get!

And if Eli didn't get the MVP, the D-line sure had to. Never seen Brady pressured, hit, or on his back like I did yesterday.

Okay... Dressel, a request for you... mug the camera at the parade!!  ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 4, 2008, 04:06 PM »
The Pats will be in the playoffs next year because they are a great team in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL.  If the Giants played Miami and the Jets twice every year they would've had a better record.

Very true.  The Jets?  They stink.  Buffalo?  I'm surprised the franchise is still there.  And Miami has just been embarassing the past few years.  And even with Parcells taking over the GM role in that franchise, it will probably be a couple of years before the Dolphins are competitive again.

I hope Eli starts getting a fair shake in the NY press...they've been brutal on him the past three years.

I hope so too.  The team was really good on the road.  And that playoff run was phenomenal.  But the sports writers in NY are like a bunch of rabid hyenas.  If Eli has a bad game, they'll throw him under the bus almost immediately.  It's just the nature of the NY newspapers.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #478 on: February 4, 2008, 04:17 PM »
True enough Nick...although I doubt they Giants mind press like this for a while.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #479 on: February 4, 2008, 05:34 PM »

Me...

He didn't have a stellar game, and I think one of the linebackers deserved it much more, personally.  Though, from an offensive perspective, he didn't do poorly, the defense just seemed overlooked by most people for the entire game IMO, and they truly decided the thing.  Hell, it could've been lost in that last 30 seconds considering who they were against, and the defense 100% shut down the best QB and receiver core in the league.  I think the MVP goes where it goes because defense isn't overly appreciated by the masses is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77