Author Topic: Collecting Interests: New or Nostalgia?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Collecting Interests: New or Nostalgia?
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:51 PM »
I was thinking about our various collecting interests - Star Wars and otherwise - and I was wondering, do you tend to collect things that bring back memories of your interests when you were younger - or does it matter at all?  I would say I definitely tend to lean towards the things I was interested in when I was a kid, or growing up.  As far as entertainment/toylines, I was interested in Star Wars, G.I. Joe, He-Man, and Transformers primarily when I was a kid (and other, smaller properties).  I also read comics growing up, I primarily bought Spider-Man, Batman, and X-Men (and some others, mainly Marvel) - those led into Secret Wars and Super Powers figures (also picked up the Marvel Universe trading cards back then).  I think all of these things coincide with my current interests:

Star Wars (although prequels are new, the interest in them came from my love of the OT)
G.I. Joe (explains my interest in the 25th Ann. line)
He-Man (if they ever do an anniversary line of these again - as rumored - I'm likely in to some extent)
Transformers (I've largely stayed away, but I have a couple classics and a couple movie figures - probably more if I had the budget for them)

Then, the comics led me into great lines like Spidey Classics/Marvel Legends, and the various Batman lines leading into the DCU Classics next year.  These are the types of lines I would have dreamed of growing up, and they basically sit right after Star Wars in my collecting priorities these days.  Also, Indiana Jones is another line starting up that I know I'll be collecting - and that definitely stems from my love of the movies, the same as Star Wars.

Overall, I think the only line I can think of that I collected in any capacity that didn't really have a connection to my childhood is the LOTR stuff.  I just really enjoyed those movies, and it led me to wanting to have some representation from them to have on a shelf.  I've also collected Justice League Unlimited on and off (and watched/enjoyed all of the Timm-DCAU shows), but I guess that could largely be connected to growing up with comics/Super Powers/Super Friends as well.  Plus, I remember watching Batman: TAS in high school/college as well :).

Anyways, I was wondering how many of your interests are rooted - do they stem from things you enjoyed growing up, things you discovered later in life, or a combination of the two?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:07 PM by Brian »

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting Interests: New or Nostalgia?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Good topic!  ;D

As for me, nostalgia is a big thing but I have to limit myself because they throw so much of it at us. My have very fond memories of my childhood and reliving that is great, I just can't wait to share it with my kids one day. The nostalgic stuff i'm collecting:

The Dark Crystal - my BIGGGEST weakness in nostalgia. This movie means a ton to me and I buy anything I can find related to it. Thank god for Plan B and now MINDstyle for keeping this property alive...
Star Wars - i'm 99% all OT with exception of Wookiees in PT...
Pee-wee's Playhouse - my favorite show as a kid. Hopefully NECA will release more reissues or new figures in general...
GI Joe - I tried to get into this line with other reincarnations but got bored, now with the 25th Ann, i'm rediculously hooked...
Transformers - I was always a HUGE Optimus fan since G1 so i've stuck to collecting anything that relates to him in the G1 era...

I do collect newer stuff and pretty much limit myself to specific lines but as the same with my childhood, it's all TV/Movie related and pretty much all cartoon based. The stuff i'm collecting now is Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, Milk & Cheese, Hellboy...