Author Topic: Target "The Battle of Hoth" Battle Pack  (Read 98626 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Target "The Battle of Hoth" Battle Pack
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Good eye Chewie! The cannon is the same, but everyting else does look new.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Looking at the "door handle" on the Target set there is a large rectangular piece on the left on the main body while the older set has a smaller square object on basically the same spot.  Also the snow that the older version is on looks molded together with the canon while the Target version seems to have gaps in between the snow and the canon.  Definately looks different to me.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:25 AM by Jeff »
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2007, 03:08 PM »
Man, I don't see them retooling something this large for an application like this.  Maybe they went in and tweaked the detailing in the tool.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Man, I don't see them retooling something this large for an application like this.  Maybe they went in and tweaked the detailing in the tool.

I can see why you'd think that given Hasbro's track record, but everything about it looks like a new turret to me, other than the actual cannon on it (which the more I look at, it looks different too!).  This piece looks a lot larger than the POTF2 version.  Maybe we'll hear more in a Q&A.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:54 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Maybe we'll hear more in a Q&A.

IIRC we never heard squat about the shuttle until after its release.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2007, 12:47 PM »
I'm with CHEWIE on this one... that turret looks all new to me. The door hinges are obviously gone on the packaged version there, and the base looks to be wider/taller. On the POTF2 version there the base is fairly short and hits the snow line pretty quickly. It appears as if the snow/rock base has been left off, other than what appears to be a blue cardboard mock-up. If you look closely behind Han you can make out what looks to be the base portion of the turret. It is definitely bigger than the POTF2 version. There looks to bee more paneling detailing on the top part of the turret as well. That cannon is different too. The POTF2 version has that big bulky muzzle that looks as if it has been corrected on this new version, though it could be an optical illusion based on the paint and the background color. But the absence of that little nubby thing that was on the POTF2 version leads me to believe it is new.

I really do get more and more excited for this set everytime I see it. It sure would be nice if the last snowtrooper had also been the VTSC version and we had a good Hoth Rebel, but other than that it looks like a nice set, and a pretty good value. I'm definitely in for one of these. Oh, and if anyone picks up this set and doesn't want the turret, I may be able to help you dump it somewhere. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Well, if they did retool the turrent, I guess I wouldn't put it passed them to have tooled up new logs for the Endor set.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Great catch by Chewie - I'm so stuck in my ways in regards to Hasbro and new tooling that I didn't even notice and STILL won't believe it until someone gets their hands on one!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Well, if they did retool the turrent, I guess I wouldn't put it passed them to have tooled up new logs for the Endor set.

I was reasoning along the same lines.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2007, 09:14 AM »
Cracked this set open last night. First, I have to say it was a major pain in the tush to release the figures from their confinement and very time consuming. The however, it's just a fun, fun collection of plastic.

The disappointments are the rebel trooper, repaint Derlin and the POTF2 trooper, but that's about all.

Turret - All new. It's a bit fat, so I'm imagine it's not movie accurate, but very sturdy with lots of play value.

At-St - just a repaint, but hey, it's an At-St with all the exterior stickers painted on.

Luke - excellent paint application. It makes the figure. The standard Zev grips apply and the helmet seems to be a bit loose. Also, for some reason he has a ROTJ saber with a blue blade. Don't know how that one happened.

Han - just the blue variant with no cap.

Derlin Repaint - just that, and with crappy puny blaster,

At-St Driver - unique head, different from Endor set. Helmet seems loose.

Rebel Soldier - pure crap repaint (sorry Hasbro, but it is.)

Vintage Snowtroopers - fine repaints, but unlike the Endor set, battle wear is identical. Also, hand color is same as the carded figures.

Saga 2 Snowtrooper - again, just a repaint, same a the other Snowtroopers, but his rank marks are all red.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2007, 06:06 PM »
The turret's without a doubt an all-new sculpt now having seen some photos...  The actual movie turrets are fairly fat, and not very tall/large in general.  Larger than the POTF2 set by far, more akin to the vintage turret, but shaped much different than the vintage turret was.

Blueprints of the actual set turrets exist and have been put into EU circulation...  It's a fairly small piece, and this is looking to be the most accurate one we'll likely ever see.  The costs of tooling it up really make me wonder if we'll see this gun again, repainted, maybe with a pack-in Trooper, at some point?  I'd buy it in some bulk I think.

The inaccuracy I see in the turret is the gun barrel...  Fixable if you have the time/inclination to do so, but beyond that it's a pretty sharp looking piece that's compelling me to get the set JUSt for the turret.  Anyone wanting to sell Turrets off? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I'd like to thank all of you for buying these Target Ultimate Battle sets this week...

By buying up all the sets this week, you are increasing my odds of winning the contest when I pick up my sets during the official contest dates.   8)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Yeah, now you're odds are 1:48,572 vs. 1:50,000.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2007, 12:32 PM »
I'd like to thank all of you for buying these Target Ultimate Battle sets this week...

By buying up all the sets this week, you are increasing my odds of winning the contest when I pick up my sets during the official contest dates.   8)

Don't lump me in there Jeff.  I've been holding off on buying these.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Yeah, now you're odds are 1:48,572 vs. 1:50,000.

Exactly... with each set that is purchased early, my odds of winning increase. 

It's got to be down to 1:46,789 by now, don't you think? :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender