Author Topic: Making Molds Cheap and Easy  (Read 12861 times)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: Making Molds Cheap and Easy
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47 PM »
I've used some GE-Silicone-II in the past in a squeeze-tube actually. 

Before i got into RTV and other pourable silicones, GE's caulk is what i used. I've made mention of it before when folks were looking for cheap alternatives. My Kenny Baker was cast from a Ge Mold, as well as my first coins i made for Droids Boba, C3p0 and R2.  So its a good substitue.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 01:58 PM »
hey, its me again!  Crazy hot glue man!  :D
Well, I was bound and determined to make something work with the hot glue.  I dumped the idea of the glycerine too.  I actually was in walmart looking around one night and my wife needed cooking spray.  So, I got it and I got the idea to use this as a release.  I sprayed the nasty smelling stuff (it was butter flavored) on my master and poured a thick mold of glue on there.  Sure enough!  Stuck came right off and my mold looked pretty darn good!

Of course, nothing is gonna beat the proven formula of the silicone rubber mold.  Hands down, the best.  But for something that you really dont care if it has a ton of uses to get out of and if the piece doesnt have a crap load of details, this is  a very good substitute. 

Now, to look for some cheap form of liquid plastic to cast with!  :D
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Something else to consider... 

Rather than make a mold with it, I have made a CAST with hot glue...  I've done this to test molds for defects, but I've also done it to make a cast I plan to modify at some point.  A one-shot I'm going to sculpt something onto, etc., that I don't want to use resin or whatever for...  And it has worked well.

Injecing the hot glue into the mold is essentially injection molding.  Now that worked without any hitches for me. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77