Author Topic: Your absolute favorite figures of all time?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Your absolute favorite figures of all time?
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I know, I know, I could probably dig around the boards and find a super old thread about pretty much the same thing, but the recent Saga Legends voting really got me thinking about this. My favorite figures are always changing, and the ones on the list below aren't neccessarily the ones I voted for, just my favorites. In this thread, list your ten (or more) favorite figures and a reason next to each one.

My list:

1) TSC Nabrun Leids: Yes, this is my absolute favorite. I just think this such an interesting and different figure like no other. Great sculpt, great paint job, yet not overdone. I display him on my desk getting drunk...he does have four arms, you know.

2) TSC Foul Moudama: One of the cutest Star Wars characters ever, and in my opinion a very well executed rehash. I really like his little boots!

3) TAC Jawa w/LIN Droid: Jawas are hands down my favorite Star Wars aliens. And this is hands down the best Jawa sculpt ever. The articulation is all well done, al of the removable vests and gadgets are great, and he even comes with a LIN Droid with incredible detail under his removable dome.

4) VTAC Snowtrooper: The best OT army builder EVER! Who doesn't like that?

5) VTAC IG-88: While not my favorite figure, it is probably the best Star Wars figure ever made. All the articulation and little details like the separately sculpted wires and stuff is great. Awesome figure!

6) TPM Graxol Kelvyyyn: Best PT figure ever in my opinion, despite the weird articulation that shows up under his cloak because he's meant to sit in the chair. Outstandingly bizarre (and huge) alien.

7) VTSC Biker Scout: Second best OT army builder EVER!

8) POTJ FX-7: This Robo-Quack's paint job and sculpt are perfect, and on top of that they made every single leg articulated! He probably has the most points of articulation of any figure, and I won't be surprised if he holds on to that record all the way up to the line's end in 2018.

9) SAGA1 Jempa: Awww!! No articulation and pre-posed, but that toothy face is what makes me like him so much. I can't believe Hasbro even made him, so I'm glad they did.

10) TAC Darth Vader: The one from the Order 66 pack is probably the best Vader ever made. All of the countless others look like crap next to him. Well, some looked like crap in the first place, but, you know...

HONORABLE MENTION:

1) TAC Commander Bow
2) TAC Galactic Marine
3) COTIV Stormtrooper
4) VTAC Bossk
5) Saga Legends Clone Trooper (Ep. II)

What are your favorites?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Your absolute favorite figures of all time?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Good topic.

01. 30AC Stormtrooper
02. 30AC McQuarrie Chewbacca
03. TSC Chief Chirpa
04. VTSC Biker Scout
05. TSC Hem Dazon
06. TSC Death Star Gunner
07. VOTC Boba Fett
08. 30AC Mara Jade
09. VOTC Han Solo
10. OTC Wuher

Honorable Mentions

01. TSC Gonk Droid & Treadwell Droid
02. 30AC Jawa & LIN Droid
03. OTC Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
04. OTC Imperial Scanning Trooper
05. TSC Scorch (Republic Commando)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:26 PM »
1) TSC Nabrun Leids: Yes, this is my absolute favorite. I just think this such an interesting and different figure like no other. Great sculpt, great paint job, yet not overdone. I display him on my desk getting drunk...he does have four arms, you know.

Mine has two drinks in his hands at the moment. That's a fairly obvious joke that's just too good to pass up. ;) I really came to like this guy quite a lot when I finally got the Cinema Scene (just in the last several years). I really like the repaint too.

But can you imagine how much fun he would be if they made a brand new sculpt with ball joints for the knees, ankles and ... all four shoulders and elbows?! :D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:15 PM »
1.  VTAC Snowtrooper
2.  VOTC Stormtrooper
3.  VTSC Biker Scout
4.  Preview Wookiee Warrior
5.  30 AC Tin Darth Vader
6.  30 AC Airborne Trooper
7.  30 AC Galactic Marine
8.  Ephant Mon
9.  VOTC Boba Fett
10. Clone Wars Phase 1 - SA Clone

On the bubble:

DSG
Coleman Trebor
Evolutions Clone Pilot
Evolutions 442nd Felucia Grunt
ROTS basic Count Dooku
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:23 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Great topic.  Robo-Quack seems like he shares some of my favorites, too.  No order:

POTF2 Max Rebo: Still awesome today.

EB Chewie: Best figure ever, really.

Evo/Order 66 Darth Vader: The best Vader,

TAC Jawa/OTC Jawas: I love all the Jawas (and the Ronto one!) but these are the best.

VTAC Snowtrooper: My favorite trooper, and hands down one of my favorite figs.

TSC Hammerhead: One of my favorite aliens and a great figure, though I still actually like the POTF2 versions just as well.

POTJ Theed Palace Amidala/POTC Celebration Padme (tie): My two favorite Padme's.

ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan: Are you kidding me?

Any droid that shares the ROTS Sneak Preview body, meaning lots of them.

Ephont Mon, of course, and Amannaman, too.

EP1 Pit Droid 2 Pack: I love the Pit Droids and the thing I'm looking forward to most this year is the Legends 2 packs. 

Oddly, the POTF2 Purchase of the Droids Luke which of course is bettered by many figures, but he was the first one that sort of came close to recreating that moment where Luke looks out at the twin suns in the movie.  I take him with me on all my trips; he went to Ireland with me too, where I got my R2-B1, another personal favorite.  There's actually lots of EP1 figs I still like.

There's so many... I'd be better off pointing out the ones I don't like.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57 PM »
1.  2005 ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Starfighter Pilot)
2.  2004 VOTC Boba Fett
3.  1999 Episode I Watto
4.  2006 Saga Collection Utapau Clone Trooper
5.  2007 30th Anniversary Airborne Trooper
6.  1999 Episode I Holographic Darth Sidious
7.  1980 (Vintage Line) Empire Strikes Back Yoda
8.  2007 30th Anniversary Super Battle Droid
9.  1983 (Vintage Line) Wicket the Ewok
10. 1983 (Vintage Line) Princess Leia in Boussh Disguise

Honorable Mention:
-2004/2006/2007 Vintage Collection Imperial Troops (Stormie, Biker Scout, and Snowtrooper)
-2002 Clone Wars Super Articulated Clone Trooper
-2007 30th Anniversary Galactic Marine
-2007 30AC Vintage Collection Bespin Luke Skywalker
-2002 Saga Ephant Mon

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 03:06 PM »
1) Vintage small head Han (my first ever SW figure)
2) Votc Stormtrooper
3) POTJ Bespin Han
4) Vintage Leia Boushh
5) Vintage Endor Leia
6) TIN Darth Vader
7) CW SA Clone
8) Evo Palpatine
9) POTJ FX-7
10) Vtac IG-88
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 05:05 PM »
1. vintage Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight. One of my first SW figures, and still one of my favorites.

2. POTJ Bespin Han Solo. I think it was the pinnacle of Star Wars figure making. Not too much articulation, a decent (for the era) head sculpt, the right accessories that can be used properly, and he just looks great.

3. VOTC Chewbacca. Everyone knows why.

4. Tantive IV Battle Pack Stormtrooper. As much as I like the VOTC one, I thought this one was better. I think it would have made a better candidate for TAC wave 3 than the one we got.

5. TSC Boushh Leia. I thought they got this one right, finally.

6. VTAC IG-88. I thought the POTJ version was great. This one was out of the park.

7. Evolutions Darth Vader

8. POTJ Amanaman. He was certainly overpriced, but I was glad to own this one.

9. POTJ Luke w/ Bacta Tank. Something I never expected to see.

10. vintage Endor Han Solo. My first Han figure, and I still have it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43 PM »
1- deluxe Luke skywalker from the POTJ. first ever figure. without him i would have never known what star wars was :)

2- VTAC Bossk- one of my favourite characters because he looks so damn cool gets one of the coolest and a lot of good detail in that figure. he is great.

3- VTSC scout trooper.- really well done

4- AT-AT driver tsc. I dont know why I just really like the detail in this figure its great.

5.Tac wave 3 vader.- just got him two days ago and I have to say its the best vader i have.

6VTSC Luke in pilot gear. i have always loved pilot figures and this is the best one

7-Utapau clone. i like this figure and trooper nuff said.

8-Pilot obi- great articulation.Although I am sick of seeing him on the pegs i still think he is a great figure

9-Tac galactic marine- favourite clone trooper figure. I liked the fiugre so much i felt bad everytime i saw him warming the pegs...so I bought them and ended with 12, i stopped only because I needed to start saving for otherr things.

10-vtac snowtrooper. however i like the figure i really hate how its hard to make him hold his gun with both hands and make it look proper. great head sculpt and armor. i only hope i can find him at basic figure $ because $17(CDN) for this figure is just not worth army building.

of course I only put down what I have. If i had the VOTC Boba he would probably be up there.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Figures that will never be taken off display in my collection:

1--Bespin Capture Han Solo. Just the best Han ever made, and the figure to beat for best ever in my opinion for--what?--seven years and counting. Articulation isn't everything, posability is more important.

2--OTC Yoda. This is the Yoda I'd been waiting for for years to replace the original vintage one I had as a kid. He is my collection's Yoda, period.

3--ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan. What a great figure, no matter the episode. I don't have many of the prequel figures, or any out on display really, but this one will always be there, along side...

4--Evolutions ROTS Anakin. One of the other best figures in the line. Facial sculpt? Dead on. Posabilitiy? Dead on. Scale? Dead on.

5--VOTC Chewbacca. The only figure I've ever managed to successfully pose standing on one foot with his other leg extended over his head as if he has just punted a football.

6--Feltipern Trevagg. I never really noticed this guy in the cantina scene, but this figure is the center of my cantina display now. This is what a drunken alien would look like!

7--Vintage B-Wing Pilot. The only vintage figure I still display unabashedly among the modern figures. When I was a kid, he was me in my Star Wars adventures!

8--Ephant Mon. Too big to go into storage. Sheer size is not enough to make a great figure, but Ephant has so much personality in his sculpt he is an instant eyecatcher and any display with him in it revolves around him.

9--OTC Lobot. Not an exciting character, but man what a good looking figure. OTC had to be the height of the line for me. It hasn't gotten better than 2004.

10--Foul Moudama. A figure that knocked me over last year when I saw him in the Star Wars section. (Funny how taking time off from the internet can lead to such fun things as surprises like that.) For obvious reasons, I was bound to love it, but he made me realize I will never quit the hobby, only vary my level of obsession.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57 PM »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:20 AM »
hm  good topic. my Top 10? let me  think for a minute:
in no particular order:
1 - Vtac IG-88 - absolutely the coolest  figure and I love bounty hunters! Almost TOO much articulation on him.
2 - Vtac Snowtrooper - very cool likeness, detail and posability. Removable helmet is a plus.
3 - TSC  Leia Boush bounty hunter - very good sculpt, articulation.
4 - VTSC  Biker scout - another superb sculpt and articulation.
5 - OTC Bossk, I like bounty hunters, but the new Vtac one disapeared before I could get one.
6 - Votc Vader, of all the new vaders (500th and order66), he's the only I have open yet.
7 - ROts SA Clone troopers,  enuff said.
8 - Endor C-3P0 finally with knee articulation and a very good likeness.
9 - Sneak preview body style astro droids - R4-G9, R4-P17 etc
10 - CW Durge with speeder  bike, awesome articulation. very bad-ass looking.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:47 AM »
This is in no real order for me, as it would take a good bit more thinking on my part for that than I care to do right now.  I will say, my top three would include Vintage IG-88, Vintage Chewie, and Vintage Stormtrooper I think.

1. Early Bird Chewbacca/VOTC Chewbacca...  I'm not going to separate them based on their headsculpts, to me they're simply the single best incarnation of a main character ever created, and truly they're something beyond a toy.  They're like little works of art.  The sculptor of that figure deserves a round of applause as far as I'm concerned.

2. VOTC Stormtrooper...  The Stormtrooper is right up there as far as I'm concerned because he was the first true super articulated army builder in the modern line.  He was the figure that set the bar for all future troopers in white armor, and really he set the bar for most other humanoid figures in general.  The Clone Wars Clone didn't compare for a few reasons (not the least of which being that OT wins over PT any day).  The VOTC STormtrooper though just made any "Trooper" figure with less poseability feel cheap by comparison, and it's been one of the most sorely needed figures out on the pegs since its release.

3. Rebel Honor Guard...  The single best rebel figure made so far.  He tops any Trooper they've done, and he's also ironically the single best non-armored army builder in the modern line.  For a guy with little screentime, the Rebel Honor Guard is also proving to be a hot figure in 2007 despite his status as "boring" to most people.  Super articulation except for the ball/socket torso, the Guard is a must have, and if you had a hat for him people would buy that many more I think.

4. McQuarrie Chewbacca...  The feakish stylings of the Concept Chewbacca alone make him fantastic.  Add to that superb articulation, nice accessories, neat features like a working holster and separately sculpted vest/bandoleir, and then his massive size as a figure, and Concept Chewie is just a nice piece of plastic to buy.  I'd say he's so unique he even fits into scenes like the Cantina without looking out of place, and truly is the best of the McQuarrie series figures to me.

5. V30AC Snowtrooper...  Super articulation and design that allows very tight movement/angles of the figure's knees and elbows.  The cloth skirt allows for maximum poseability, and the removable helmet is simply perfect and allows the figure to look in various directions.  Really a nice piece of work, and besides the Clone head underneath he's perfect.

6. V30AC IG-88...  Along the lines of VOTC Chewbacca, the IG-88 figure is every bit a work of art as it is a toy.  The separately sculpted hoses show that no IG-88 was really truly ever complete.  THe sheer number of accessories with this figure are outstanding, and when we found out the mines are removable if you're careful, we found out he's even a greater figure.  Add to all this that Vintage IG-88 is the single most articulated figure in the modern line, and he's just a great piece.  A must for any collection.

7. Deluxe Durge...  Expanded Universe isn't holding this figure back as the great piece of work it is.  For $10 you got a big speederbike, 2 pistols, a rifle, a big ass lance, and a figure that redefined the way Star Wars figures would be articulated for years to come.  With 12 points of articulation and the incredible use of ball/socket joints all over (and still hiding the articulation points so well), the Deluxe Durge figure is a figure that set the bar pretty high.  There's arguably never been such a value for $10 as Deluxe Durge.

8. VOTC Han Solo...  At the time, Han really represented everyone's dream come true for a main character.  Super articulation, superior sculpting, detail galore, and all on a Han Solo figure.  Han really represented everyone's dream come true for the Vintage line, unfortunately not every figure in said line lived up to that expectation.

9. VOTC Boba Fett...  Same as above, but put all that anticipation and demand onto the most popular secondary character in the series.  Also add a removable jetpack and cloth cape.  Fett's re-release was another long-demanded scenario and finally it's happening.

10. Saga Death Star Gunner...  The Death Star Gunner in 2006 was out of left field, and proved that Hasbro's ability to revisit a figure you were pretty content with and blow your socks off is really unlimited.  The removable helmet and armor, the working holster, the fire hood and sculpt details...  Hasbro really took a mundane background Imperial and turned it up a notch.  Army Builders went wild in 2006 and 2007.

Ultimately though, my list could probably change some...  I made this up fairly quickly. 

And to be fair, there are army builders in the prequal lines that really are right up there...  The Airborne and Marine are two of my favs I'd say, and the SA AOTC Clone is hands down a fantastic figure.  Add to that the Evolutions sets and you've got 9 figures there that are all worth mentioning...  The Royal Guard from 2005 was no slouch by any means either, nor were some of the Jedi.

Cantina aliens from the POTC line (all 3), Ephant Mon, and a step backwards to figures like Amanaman and Pote Snitkin are pretty decent though more articulation definitely holds them back.

In 2007 alone though I could list tons of figures I love...  The entire vintage run in 2007 is, as far as I'm concerned, the best group of vintage we've gotten.  I don't think any year did as well per figure, as there were some flubs in 2004's line and 2006's vintage line had some less than perfect figures.  I really feel 2007's were perfect for the most part with only minor things holding them back if anything at all.  And the basic line as well has had outstanding figures.  From Jawa/Droids, to Stormtroopers, to Rebels and Imperials, to Academy Biggs (how long have we wanted that one?), to Ceremony Luke (despite the skin tone), and more...  Hell the whole McQuarrie series!

Lots of figures in this year that I can't get enough of...  And army builders...  Holy **** are they everywhere and outstanding this year.  I dare say they're TOO many.  I like to army build but I also need time/$$$ to do it.  Every wave has like 2 or 3!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bikerscout1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have you now Paploo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44 PM »
that I own from when i was younger: 

vintage Scout Trooper
                   vintage Jedi Luke

Newer era:    VTSC Biker Scout (of course) -flip visor version is great too
                   Evol. Anakin (EpIII)  -besides the swivel arms, this is outstanding
                   Evol. Darth Vader -(complaint -no saber peg in belt and no saber w/peg)

i don't think anybody'll disagree with these
oddly enough, I posted on my b-day i just realized

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:08 PM by bikerscout1 »
Are you threatening me master jedi?