Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39778 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57 PM »
I didnt want to admit it but.. I have no choice but to cheer for the Penguins in the finals  :-X. With both my teams out in the 1st and 2nd round, and my Dallas stars basically getting pistol wipped sid the kid and company are the ones I will be backing. Only for two reasons though. 1. Gary Roberts deserves to retire with one more Ring. And 2. the tradition of a team led by a Canadian captain winning the Cup every year must be upheld. Damn you Crosby..damn you. :-\
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2008, 11:07 AM »
You forgot, your team didn't actually make the playoffs.  Again.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Man, when the Wild got knocked out in the first round, I totally lost interest in this year's playoffs.

I bet I've watched maybe 2 games total since then...  maybe I'll get back into it so I can watch the Red Wings pound the Pens.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Don't count on that happening...  We've so far pretty much pounded opponents every analyst felt would do the pounding on us.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Don't count on that happening...  We've so far pretty much pounded opponents every analyst felt would do the pounding on us.  ;)

Which is ok for fans to think.  But if the team itself develops that attitude they'll be down 3-0 before they even realize it.  Not really a lot of playoff experience on these Pens, is there (that's actually playing)?  Gonchar?  Nope.  Hossa? Nope.  Crosby? Nope.  Malkin?  Nope. 

Great team, but many teams need to get that taste in the finals before winning.  Maybe not this year.  I'm looking forward to a great, great series. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2008, 09:05 PM »
You forgot, your team didn't actually make the playoffs.  Again.   :P

who the leafs? HAHA! I would rather not get my hopes up with them. My teams were the Flames and Montreal. The Flames because my favourite player is Iggy and Dion, and Montreal, well I have always loved montreal, I used to watch them play all the time with my grandfather. I like the Leafs dont get me wrong, but they are really despressing to watch.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33 PM »
You mean there is other hockey on besides the IIHF world tournament. Sunday will be a good game against Russia!  :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2008, 02:08 AM »
Which is ok for fans to think.  But if the team itself develops that attitude they'll be down 3-0 before they even realize it.  Not really a lot of playoff experience on these Pens, is there (that's actually playing)?  Gonchar?  Nope.  Hossa? Nope.  Crosby? Nope.  Malkin?  Nope. 

Great team, but many teams need to get that taste in the finals before winning.  Maybe not this year.  I'm looking forward to a great, great series. 

I dunno, Pittsburgh's being consistantly ranked the underdog, and they're not winning by large margins...  They have a system that's working, they have defense that NOBODY is even looking at until the Eastern finals came about, and they've got physical presence that's flown under the radar. 

Don't mistake my post, the Penguins are going to be rated the underdogs again, and rightfully so considering the Wings were tops in the league and we didn't even cut tops in the East, but I think people underestimate the Penguins, and I think the Penguins know people underestimate them, and they like it that way.  Call it a Pittsburgh thing maybe, but it works with the Steelers when everything seems to be against them too.  So far the Penguins, or so they say post-game, like to take it one game at a time, they like to play their style, and try not to get ahead of themselves.

I think in game 4 Thursday they were starting to do that and they came out not as desperate in the first, but they still turned it around and made it a game, they just did it a period too late.  They did it against a pretty good team overall though in Philly and I think that's been good.

For experience, there's a couple guys there with it and they get the nods for their experience.  Roberts play is off/on, so he's been a factor.  I don't know the cup-winners total on the team though, so that level of experience I'm not so sure, but I think that any playoff experience adds to the team overall.  Guys with cup final experience are great, but any depth on that issue is a positive to the team overall and there's a number of guys who have playoff runs under their belt now, and younger guys who've only got that one series of course.  I don't honestly think inexperience is a factor right now though, personally.

The mantra in Pittsburgh, at least among the people who've been around the sport long enough, is that we've still got to finish a series.  The typical bandwagoner fans with any sport are jumping ahead, but the people who have always cared are taking the Pen's advice and looking at it one game at a time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Don't mistake my post, the Penguins are going to be rated the underdogs again, and rightfully so considering the Wings were tops in the league and we didn't even cut tops in the East

You think the Penguins will be underdogs if they're facing the Stars?   :o

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Congrats JJ.  Good luck to the Pens in the finals.

A great season and a remarkable turnaround from my team that fell just short.  Like I said before, the pieces are there and they should be competitive for the years to come. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2008, 02:53 AM »
Thanks Mike...  A lot of Philly guys I talked to were now sorta rooting on the Penguins which I think is cool.  Philly easily played the hardest series with us this year.  I don't know stats but I bet it was the series with the most hits/checks per game being thrown around.  That's a stat I'd dig seeing I think, compared to the rest of the playoffs.  And for the most part it was pretty civil too...  Weren't many games with scrums after every whistle really, and it didn't have much ugliness to it, just good hockey.  I think the Pens were pretty pissed off after the loss though.

About the Pen's and possible Stars match-up, that's a different egg all together Rob, however they're saying the goaltending match-up of Turcco/Fleury would be more evenly matched.  By "they" I mean local sports analysts.  They feel Dallas isn't the dominant team in the West, most feel Detroit will win, but they think it's the Detroit depth at so many positions that keeps them going, and that their goaltending has coasted.  I dunno...  We get so little coverage of the West here that it's tough for me to judge fairly.  Detroit's flying, but they're stunned right now.  I think tomorrow's game is gonna be interesting to say the least.  Dallas has the momentum, but you never know when that's going to shift.

I think a Dallas/Pittsburgh match-up gets a more even view from the analysts I've seen/read lately, but these are the same guys that said the Senators would be a really tough series and would go 6 games at least (but most did pick Pitt), and that the NYR and Flyers were simply going to steamroll over Pittsburgh...  How many times did we hear, "this is New York's year!", and stuff like that?  I recall it was too often, even on national coverage nights.  ::)

Anyway, I dunno what to say other than I feel like a kid again...  like I did when I was at the height of my days playing hockey, though I know I'm too old for that now.  I just have the rush in me that I had in 91 and 92 when Pittsburgh was winning cups and I was really starting to play in more organized leagues in my area despite my health at the time.  It's a nice feeling to have again, and now I can take the kids down to the park to pass the puck around a bit...  It's not a game, but it's nice to take some shots at the net again and stuff. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:55 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2008, 09:51 AM »
That was definitely an awesome way to close out a series.  I love it when Philly-fan gets kicked in the nuts like that.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15 AM »
I just have the rush in me that I had in 91 and 92 when Pittsburgh was winning cups

>:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2008, 10:51 AM »
I just have the rush in me that I had in 91 and 92 when Pittsburgh was winning cups

>:(
>:( >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Sorry...

:-X 

Sorry to CorranHorn and his Blackhawks too.   :-X  :-X