Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39772 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #45 on: March 3, 2008, 02:27 AM »
They've said a week at least, so I'm guessing that it's nothing major or they'd not be saying that.  The big stuff they try playing close to the vest, or they're outright honest about it (Crosby's high ankle sprain, etc.).

The Penguins are simply riddled with injury, so it's really astonishing they've accomplished what they have...  Malkin's a big help and proven he's a top NHL player I think, plus a leader and 2-way player.  Great news for us.  The other key's been Conklin who's proven he's a top goalie I think... 

There's been a ton of injuries though, and as a fan it's just tough to watch.  Eaton's one of your top Defense, he's gone...  Roberts has played pretty well when we've had him, but he's been gone for a while (plus he's tons of leadership you've lost too).  Crosby obviously, Fleury obviously, and the list goes on really... 

I think Hossa an outstanding pick up, don't get me wrong, but I think Armstrong was a lot of player to give up...  They should've sweetened it with draft picks and a young prospect or something.  Just something else...  Armstrong's a pretty beloved guy around here. :(

Anyway, they beat Atlanta today, a good (and needed) win to go ahead of New Jersey again...  Been a rough couple weeks watching them though here.  Just bad playing all around.  Blah.  And today's game was ugly from an officiating standpoint...  That's been getting into playoff mode I've noticed.  Double blah.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 6, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Here's to hoping that the Sharks can continue their recent seven-game winning streak. A streak in which they've won games over no-slouch opponents (Flyers, Pens, Wings, Habs, Sens). And what's more positive to me, is that they've won the last two at home, which maybe is showing that they're finally getting over their mental glitch (16-13-5 at home, 22-8-3 on road).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2008, 03:13 PM »
The Pens/Caps game on Sunday was outstanding, and Crosby came out of it with 2 goals (though one wasn't technically his).  Very playoff-ish in feel.  A good show for a national audience but I can't personally stand the guys that call those national games.  Whatever though...  Crosby's scoring again, Malkin had a couple points, they got a win they needed after being chastised by Therrien and I'm a happier camper today for it all.

I love the winding down of the season to the playoffs.  It's gonna start warming up outside soon, a good night out always for St. Patty's Day, the playoffs are coming in the NHL...  It's a good time of year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 04:09 PM »
A good show for a national audience but I can't personally stand the guys that call those national games.  Whatever though... 

I can't really stand anyone but the CBC announcers and even some of them are tiresome. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 04:42 PM »
I like my local guys...  Always have the radio to run I guess, but there's always a slight delay which is annoying.  I do the same thing with NFL games though...  For some reason Pittsburgh's always a hated city by national broadcasters, so the Pens and Steelers always get this slight put down by whoever's calling the game.  It's annoying as hell...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2008, 04:51 PM »
I like our local guys as well.  The National broadcasters really seem to be "North of the Mason Dixon Line" types who seem upset any hockey team is south of St. Louis and more upset any would have success.  Really sad when the Stars won the Cup and the announcers couldn't have been less interested (and that was when it was on ESPN or FOX, now that Hockey is on Versus, I couldn't tell you who the National guys are anymore).

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I feel the same way about the Denver guys, Peter McNab (who some of you may know since he is a former player and does National occasionally) and Mike Haynes. They are easily the best team around IMO, albeit a biased one. McNab has always seemed like a really genuine guy who really loves hockey. They are great about presenting a very neutral commentary while still favoring the Avalanche, if that makes any sense. They always have a lot knowledge of the other teams and speak highly of a lot of the opposing players. I can't stand watching Versus or NBC anymore these days. I wish National broadcasts would use the hometown annoucers of the teams playing.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52 PM »
I love having former players do color commentary...  That's something Pittsburgh didn't have till recent years.  Our guys are Paul Steigerwald & Bob Errey (with the Pens during the cup years) on TV and Mike Lange & Phil Bourque (also with the Pens in the cup years) on the radio.  The thing that sucks in a way, is that Lange is a Hall of Fame broadcaster already I believe, but he's now doing radio because the Penguins were wanting to save money at the time...  He took it because he likes Pittsburgh and wanted to stay, but as far as I'm concerned there isn't a better hockey announcer in the league and hasn't been one this good in decades...  Again, maybe a little biased, but Lange's sort of appreciated around the league and it's a shame he's not doing the TV work here.  That said, he's pretty great on the radio and sometimes I'd rather listen to a game than watch.

Always in my car too anymore so that sorta works in my favor I guess, especially on weekends.

Pens are another national game this weekend coming up I guess, which sucks, so I will have to try and jive the radio with the tv or just shut the TV off and listen I guess. :(

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 08:54 AM »
They are great about presenting a very neutral commentary while still favoring the Avalanche, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense.  That is the way Daryl Reaugh and Ralph Strangis are here in Dallas.  Very respectful of the teams we play, but they have enough fan in them that when/if the Stars score you can hear it.  Not a truly Homer Call, but still a good healthy excitement.  They will also be rather critical when the Stars get into a slump.

The local stations here tried to synch up their broadcast with the television feed for some NFL games last season, I wish the NHL broadcasts would do the same...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 12:53 AM »

Hope it's a better game than the ass whipping the Flyers put on the Pens last night... :-X

80+ PMs and about 20 minutes in real time to play the final three minutes?  That was the ugliest, nastiest game I've seen in awhile.  Only thing missing was the goaltenders fighting.

I think the Penguins got some payback today. ;)  It was ugly too, but not as bad as that other game...  A late hit after a whistle on an icing was about the most "ugly" the game got really and the refs settled that down quickly because it was such a classless move...  It didn't really spiral.  Laraque's suspended too, so I guess that takes some of the goon out of the game.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Did anyone catch the Toskala bad beat goal from the Toronto/New York Islanders game last night? Oy!   :-X   ;D

Bad Toskala Goal From 197ft

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 12:44 AM »
Oh man that hurts to watch, but wow what a knuckleball that was bouncing in...  I give some sympathy to the goalie because that thing was about as wildly bouncing as a puck can go.  No excluse, but just a little bit of "I feel your pain" for him.  I feel bad for the guy.

Who won the game?  That's the real question. :)  It was a slugfest of two of the ******** teams in the east there.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Toronto won 3-1, they came back from that 1st. period goal.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Wow that looks like what Marty Turco puts out on the ice every game lately, I'm not sure we shouldn't just play with 6 forward skaters the entire game.

1st Round Playoff exit for my Stars Again this year. (who do they think they are...the Cowboys?)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 10:58 PM »
At least the Leafs won that game...  A loss, especially by one goal (ouch) would've just hurt so insanely bad.