Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39889 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2008, 07:13 AM »
So much for 3-2 in overtime. :P

It was another really fun game to watch tonight. There were a few great goals. Minne looked pretty out of it tonight. They were making a lot of uncharacteristically sloppy turnovers. The hittong/intensity did seem to pick up over the course of the game quite a bit. I loved seeing McCloud and Stephane Veilleux go at it in the box and on the ice. I wasn't to happy they only gave Veilleux a 2 minute minor for his boarding on Statsny. He hadn't even touched the puck and Veilleux left his feet to drive Statsny head first into the board. The should have been a five minute major and a misconduct for sure. Luckily Statsny wasn't hurt and that really was the worst of the cheap stuff. It should be another great game Thursday. I have a feeling Minne will get it together after a loss like that and it will be a much closer game than tonight's. Statsny needs to get on the board at some point, he has been shut down four games in a row now. Foote and Sauer have done a great job containing Gaborik, now someone needs to play some defense on Koivu.

Looks like it was a great game up in Calgary tonight. I wish Calgary could have held the lead there and made it 3-1 in the series. Oh well, it is another great series between those two teams.

Jesse you have your broom ready for tomorrow night?  ;)

"This is the way."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Ryan... spot on about the Wild. We simply stunk tonight and it was hard to watch. Just didn't seem like the Wild could set up an offense to work at getting the puck in. It was kind of like we gave up on winning the game (realistically, it would have been hard to come back anyway) and decided to see how physical they could get instead. Or maybe the Wild figured they'd get put all their mistakes in one crappy game and move on.
Let's see how Thursday's game turns out (almost had tickets from the wife's work  :'( ).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Jesse you have your broom ready for tomorrow night?

:-X

I will say that Ottawa put up a large wall-size image of last year's Pens/Sens handshake at the end of the series, somewhere in their building where all the Penguins saw it.  They didn't help themselves by doing that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2008, 09:38 PM »

Go Pens.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Looks like it was a great game up in Calgary tonight. I wish Calgary could have held the lead there and made it 3-1 in the series.
>:(  ;)

Finally, finally, the Sharks are starting to play the way they're capable. Both Marleau and Cheechoo are showing up and it's paying off. Let's hope they can close out the series on Sunday. Maybe see the Preds in the second round?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34 PM »
It looks like my Bruins are at least keeping things interesting by pushing the series to at least 6 games with the Canadiens.  Everyone expected the Habs to sweep them, but they're putting up a good fight.  But even I'll be surprised if they can win the series.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02 PM »
It looks like my Bruins are at least keeping things interesting by pushing the series to at least 6 games with the Canadiens.  Everyone expected the Habs to sweep them, but they're putting up a good fight.  But even I'll be surprised if they can win the series.

Im surprised the Habs cant seem to beat them. It was such a close game today too, and im pretty sure it was the first time Price has ever lost 2 straight games. Hopefully the Habs can avoid pulling an "ottawa" and win game 7.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2008, 07:50 AM »
I just want the Bruins to lose so I can get my baseball back in HD.  :P

Flyers couldn't put the Caps away yesterday.  Looks like they'll have to do it in Philly tomorrow.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Congrats to Ryan and his Avs.   :'(

I really thought after Game 3 we had a great chance, but after the whuppin' in Game 4 then the close call at home in game 5, I knew it wasn't looking good.  Ah well, the teams were pretty evenly matched towards the end of the year, so it was a good series overall with both teams having the chance to win 5 of the 6 games.

Plus, the team that knocked the Wild out last year (Ducks) went on to win the whole thing, so maybe the Avs can do the same and send Forsberg/Sakic/Foote all into permanent retirement with a win (and then we never have to see them again :P).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Congrats to Ryan and his Avs.   :'(

:)

It was a great series just like we were expecting to see. Minne had a great season and deserved their first division title. You guys have plenty of young talent and should be good for years to come, so I'd fully expect to see the Wild compete for another division title next year. Hopefully for your sake you guys can hang on to all of your good players over free agency this offseason.

I'm amazed the Wild only held the lead for about 4:30 in the entire series and it went to six games. It really goes to show how well they managed to hang in there and how great Theodore played. We could have easily lost the lead/tie several times and would have had try to come from behind on Backstrom and Minne's (admitting injury depleted) D. I can't believe Schultz came back last night, that took some real heart.

The Avs have had me so excited lately. They look like a completely different team since the deadline. As great of an addition as Forsberg has been, I think it is the additions of Foote and Salei as well as the play of Theodore that have completely turned this team around. Holding a player like Gaborik to 1 point in a six game series is incredible. Theodore has been on his game since January and now with some added toughness on the blue line he has the support in front he needed. Sauer has really picked up his play as well and has done a fabulous job shutting down the opposing team's top line when he is paired with Foote. Our powerplay which was completely dismal throughout most the entire year has been looking a whole lot better, especially against a good penalty killing team like the Wild. If they can stay hot I think we have a chance of going really deep in the playoffs this year.

Unless Calgary came find a way to come back in their series it looks like the Avs will be headed to Detroit. We got swept by the old rivals in the season series this year, but all of those games were before the deadline. I really think we can give them a run for their money in the playoffs. Plus with Foote and Forsberg back in town and Parker about ready to come off his injury we may see the fire re-lit in that rivalry.

Plus, the team that knocked the Wild out last year (Ducks) went on to win the whole thing, so maybe the Avs can do the same and send Forsberg/Sakic/Foote all into permanent retirement with a win (and then we never have to see them again :P).

If all three of them retired in the same year I think I would lock myself away in my room and cry for weeks. :'( Foote really looks like he has a few years left in him. Gaborik is young and faster than Foote, and Foote was able to completely shut his down. Sakic never seems to age and I hope he is here for a few more years. If Forsberg can stay healthy ( big if there... ) he seems like he might have another year in him still. This may be the best shot we'll have at the Cup in the next few years though, so I really want to see it back in Denver this year.
"This is the way."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2008, 10:36 PM »

Great series and a great final game.  Gotta love game 7 overtime games.  Bring on the Canadians.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Rangers up next for my Penguins.  Jagr comes home...  I think he's gonna find Pittsburgh has changed a bit.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2008, 11:23 PM »

Great series and a great final game.  Gotta love game 7 overtime games.  Bring on the Canadians.

Like wise. That should be a good series, then again i just want to see downie leveled lol.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:23 PM by JangoTat »
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Yay...San Jose won...now the Stars' "Away" games get to start at 10pm again, nothing like missing the 3rd period or OT because it is midnight..

I am going to go out on a limb and say San Jose sweeps the Stars or wins it in 5.  Oh well, the Stars made it past the 1st round this year.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:15 PM by Jeff »

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Finally, the Sharks put away (out, if insipid cliche is necessary) the Flames. That series was just too tough...for me. Jeremy-frickin'-Roenick!

And now, the Stars. This team actually scares me more than the others. Undoubtedly, though, great hockey to come.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is anymore game 7s at San Jose. I live about a block away from the arena (so close that people park in front of our house--which is permit parking only ::)--just to avoid the arena parking fee), and for a solid half hour after the game last night, the air was thick with honking horns and screams of "whoooooooo!" Plus, just after the game let out, I witnessed some asswipe in a Sharks jersey spraypainting some of the parked cars across the street. I guess I'll have to keep vigil over our cars for all future big games.  :P