Author Topic: Clones/Troopers...Are We Wrong?  (Read 8120 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Clones/Troopers...Are We Wrong?
« on: October 1, 2007, 09:21 PM »
For years, it seems, we've been buggung Hasbro to release more clones and more Stormtroopers.  With Legends, and wave 3 they really came through.  However, they all seem to be warming pegs.  In fact, I was at Target the other day and they had about 20 E2 and E3 clones, and nothing else.  We we wrong?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Clones/Troopers...Are We Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Might be the case for you guys! im still waiting for them to hit in those numbers up here!
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I've got no problem with the abundance of clones on the pegs - in my book, it's a good thing.  I can see why some people see it as a problem, but at least if we want an army builder here and there they're easier to get.  I'm pretty sure that closer to the holidays they'll be selling through them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2007, 12:39 AM »
  We we wrong?

I think you can only we we right. ;D

As far as an overflow of Clones/Army Builders...  20 of the E2/E3 Clones really doesn't sound like that many to me actually, mike.  You figure some are AOTC Clones, some probably Airborne, some Marines...  6 or 8 of each isn't a bad assortment on a shelf when you think about it, especially since I feel sure they're dwindling.

I can't speak for your area though, but in my neck I was just out this evening...  Every WM had Marines, Airborne, DST's, Stormtroopers, AOTC Clones, all just a week ago.  This week I'd say the AB's were almost all gone, AOTC Clones were dwindled but not gone, Marines were about as abundant with a little dwindling, DST's the same, Stormtroopers pretty much gone save for one here or there...  That's a lot of sales going on though, between the two WM's I visited, and the TRU which was also piled with army builders the last time I was there.  It's virtually devoid of anything but AOTC Clones now.

I don't think that makes us wrong, and actually I think it makes us more right really.  Tons of those figures have sold by my estimation.  Both are from wave 1 basic or wave 1 legends, both of those waves were really heavily stocked and restocked, and now they're still selling around me...  The DST's even, which seemed less popular, are moving.  And you can't find an Honor Guard to save your life here, just ask any of the Pitt collectors...  They are not a common figure, yet you'd think they would be.  Hell even I thought that was gonna be an easy find, but I have 10 and some I got from friends/online. :(  I can't find more!

So to me, I think they're some of the better selling figures...  Obi-Wan and R2, now those are pegwarmers.  It doesn't help that essentially the same Obi-Wan's in Legends and such.  Those are figures Hasbro overestimated on, regardless of your area I believe.  I don't know many of us without a bunch of them, and that's at ANY store I visited tonight including Target who hasn't had a new figure shipment in at least a month it seems.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2007, 01:46 AM »
I'm glad Hasbro is listening.  I hope they flood the market with all the HTF (clones or not) figures because that'll give all collectors of all ages the opportunity to get these figures.  I wouldn't mind walking into a store in the afternoon and seeing Darktroopers, Hermis, UGHs, SLs all hanging pretty on the pegs.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2007, 09:22 AM »
I think it was a good thing over well. Although they're sitting on the shelves for a period, they sell eventually to the casual collector/army builder. I think it was a win/win. Ask Hasbro what they think.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Yeah, its nice that people can actually find the troop builders this year for once.  It does seem like they are much more prevalent, but things do seem to be selling through fairly well.  Actually, the only "troop" I see on the pegs in bulk around here is the Galactic Marine.  Surprisingly, that has to be in the running for pegwarmer of the year here so far - alongside various Vaders and possibly a couple others.  I don't think I've seen Wave 1 Obi and R2 for a couple months now either.  Many of the other troops have been fairly easy to find, but I don't think I've seen more than 1-2 at the store at any given time.  Plus, we definitely haven't seen the big glut of AOTC/ROTS clones from Legends that other people have.  I've seen them, but not in great numbers.  I've only seen one Legends Shocktrooper this year too.  Also, as a side note, Jawas have been a tougher find than the Stormtrooper too - which is kind of funny (but it is a great figure).

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2007, 01:40 PM »
I think I can agree that while they are pegging a little bit, it was stil a good idea to have them out there. I think it would be a good idea to rotate these every year or so. Maybe one year having AOTC clone (white and officers), then the next year, stormtroopers and snowtroopers, the next year MOVIE only ROTS clones and "named" clone commanders (not all of those EU flavor of the month clones), then the next year back to Stormtroopers and biker scouts. Spreads is out a bit, but doesn't keep them off the pegs for too long. Repeat this process every four years and all fans will be able to get the troops they want in reasonable time.

While I'm not army building so much anymore as I have way more than I probably should, heh heh, it's still nice to see them on the pegs. And for once, I'm actually seeing kids getting them, which is good news. And on two occassions I've even heard the kids asking their parents for more than one so they can have a few to fight. Beginnings of future army builders there!

Oh and Jawas have been HTF in my area too. I think it's because it's been awhile since they've been out there, and this one is arguably the best Jawa ever made. Not to mention you get a droid with it too.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #9 on: October 2, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I'm Glad there are so many. My armies are pathetically small. I just reached 9 Stormies, of course I used 5 for customs, so a total of 14 were bought. I only have a few SA ep2 clones, and then several of the different squads from ROTS. Whats nice about the legends being in abundance is that I don't have to Pounce when I see Troops, I can casually pick them up and still get the Basic line figs that I want.

I'm missing the droids though. Very small droid army and they never ever show up. :(

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2007, 02:43 PM »
What is a real let down is 2008 FC winners. They suck royaly! I am sick of recolored EU clones. Gree and The Kashyk trooper are welcome but that purple Mace Windu wannabe SWS covert ops crap is not in my book. The Target Shadow Trooper that started the whole Shadow craze is a lame duck too.

How about the OTC Tie Pilot? 70% of the guys on the trade threads all have that one on the list.
VOTC Stormie? Same deal.
I would have loved to see the white AT-ST driver from the tin pack, at least he looks real

I am disappointed at the top 5 chosen. Too many clones will come back to haunt us. At least the EP2 & EP3 versions sell steadily. They are real on screen guys, not the circus of clones thats coming in the pipeline.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2007, 02:53 PM »
I agree about the Shadow/Special Ops clones - totally lame.  I'd much rather see good TIE Pilots and the sort back on the pegs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2007, 03:25 PM »
How about the OTC Tie Pilot? 70% of the guys on the trade threads all have that one on the list.

That's something I was just thinking about the other day.  It has been awhile since that TIE pilot has been available (particularly on a basic card), and it would be nice to see it released again.  I know I'd like a few more, and with all the TIEs out there these days it would be nice to have them for pilots for the kiddos as well.  Heck, in the $20 starfighter assortment, about the only OT ships that make it in are TIEs, so we should have those pilots available.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2007, 03:52 PM »
As long as I can find the 1 each of the Legends Clone Commanders in their colored rank, then I'll be happy.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2007, 09:15 AM »

That's something I was just thinking about the other day.  It has been awhile since that TIE pilot has been available (particularly on a basic card), and it would be nice to see it released again.  I know I'd like a few more, and with all the TIEs out there these days it would be nice to have them for pilots for the kiddos as well.  Heck, in the $20 starfighter assortment, about the only OT ships that make it in are TIEs, so we should have those pilots available.

At this point, I can certainly use a few more. I was bummed they didn't make the Legends cut.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."