Author Topic: Target TFU Battle Rancor  (Read 115998 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Target TFU Battle Rancor
« on: October 8, 2007, 02:56 AM »
As noted on our front page earlier this weekend, there is apparantly a "Rancor w/Rider" being listed in Target's computer system according to our sources.  The DPCI is 087-06-1479 if you're curious and want to check this out yourself when you're at Target.

Interesting stuff...  Scum reported the same thing, and is saying it's indeed from Force Unleashed and "part of several tie-in items" to the game's release.

I'm curious if we'll be getting an all-new Rancor sculpt though, as the beasts dont' all wear earrings or bracelets I assume. :)  The ones in the game seem fairly wild by the concept art for them.

Very interesting stuff to me, since I'm really geeked about this game, and now the possibility of very large beast/vehicle possibilities with a Rancor type item.  That's pretty cool I think.  How this'll all tie in with 2008's already busy schedule though, who knows!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Target "Star Wars Battle Rancor w/Rider"
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2007, 07:07 AM »
It would be great if it was an all new sculpt. It would give me more reason to buy it. I am excited to see pics of this one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Target "Star Wars Battle Rancor w/Rider"
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2007, 11:28 AM »

I'm curious if we'll be getting an all-new Rancor sculpt though,

Not me.  It'll be a rehash of existing tooling (Rancor) with a newly tooled figure / accessories.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Target "Star Wars Battle Rancor w/Rider"
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm assuming at the very least the Rancor will have the same body. 

I can see them maybe springing for a new Rancor Head sculpt, but definitely not a whole new Rancor.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2007, 12:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see what this ends up being, but the Force Unleashed thinking is probably right.  I've always thought that the ROTJ Rancor itself could handle a re-release (maybe with some paint updates or packed with the TAC Jedi Luke or something).  Its nice that the Bantha got a re-release this year (although not quite as nice as the POTF one), but I'd really like to see some of the other beasts (OT in particular) get out there again (Taun Taun, Dewback, Rancor, etc.)  I think kids would enjoy them, and many have been out of regular circulation for awhile that some collectors might have missed them as well.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I hope this gets a resculpt to build off of. The old sculpt is a bit dated and has that POTF2 buff look and is lacking alot of detail and cannot stand for sh@t. Imagine with more weight on it I think it will be new for heavens sake they tooled new lightsabers for this line. With a couple of part swaps they can actually assort this to have 2 different Rancors one classic and one with the horns. The old paint job always reminded me of a grilled steak or burger.

Rancor patties anyone? Thats alot of beef!

« Last Edit: October 8, 2007, 01:05 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 8, 2007, 01:27 PM »
It's not a bad sculpt, the paint just sucks.

You know how these guys work.

They'll throw in a new figure just to get us to buy it.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 8, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Add tusks and horns to the head, plus the torso armor and we've got a "new" Rancor. The rest of the toy can be the same. Maybe a new paint wash on it too.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: October 8, 2007, 02:13 PM »
My original thought was a new head sculpt would be good enough but isnt the head and body all one piece on the sculpt they have?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 8, 2007, 02:17 PM »
I was just gonna say that evenflow...

To really alter it at all, you'd either have to only alter arms/legs, or alter the entire body/head as there's no separation there.  Which sucks, because as I noted there's some "distinguishing" characteristics on the Rancor that set him apart from just any old Rancor you see on the streets these days.  The earring and lovely matching bracelets obviously. ;)

I'm hopeful of a new sculpt, but I'm also realistic in not expecting it either.

Either way I'm excited at the prospect of this item being something unique and new.  A definite new/better way to get us a Rancor rather than just the same ole same ole. 

And wow does that paintjob look like the comparison images you showed JACK.  I'm hungry for Rancor filets.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 8, 2007, 02:37 PM »
How awesome would it be if it were a new sculpt!  I do agree though that there will be some reused parts from the POTF2 version.

I guess they could remove the wrist bind, and I'd like to see the ear ring piece go as well... maybe they can tweak the teeth some to look more menacing like in the picture with Shaak Ti.... that one in the front appears to have all kinds of additional horns too.  Would be great to see a new sculpt, but I'm certainly not expecting it... but it could happen.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #11 on: October 8, 2007, 02:52 PM »
The POTF2 Rancor was a roto molded one and the tools on that kind of toy is a lot cheaper to make than a hard plastic ones. I am confident it will be a new sculpt with better articulation, the old one has too many flaws. I would love to see it hold a figure in his hand & be able to swallow a figure,and most importantly stand up like the old one. If this thing is new they know they will sell a lot more.

And wow does that paintjob look like the comparison images you showed JACK.  I'm hungry for Rancor filets.

Jess, after posting those pics I had to go get grilled food at lunch. It made me hungry too.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2007, 02:54 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2007, 04:36 PM »
I have the original from ROTJ. will make a great addition to Jabbas place.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2007, 09:13 AM »
I'm just glad it's not a TRU exclusive. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
SPOILERS for the Force Unleashed Minis and game
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2007, 03:44 PM »
SPOILERS for the Force Unleashed Minis and game (but you can at least see what the Rancor toy may look like)

Okay, you want to know what the Rancor will look like?

Here's a shot from the Force Unleashed Miniatures poster:

http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/Rancor-w-rider.jpg

Here is the full poster:
http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/TFU_minis.jpg
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010