Author Topic: Will the CLONE WARS line kill off the SAGA line?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Will the CLONE WARS line kill off the SAGA line?
« on: June 14, 2003, 02:01 AM »
Kinda curious here, what are Hasbro's plans after the Clone Wars?  Is it back to SAGA?  Or POTJ2?  Or POTF3?

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Will the CLONE WARS line kill off the SAGA line?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 05:58 AM »
Well, seeing as how Saga's going to ship simultaneously with CW (And there's no, as of yet, refresh wave for CW) it seems that Saga's the line title for a little while.

That's fine by me, and they are changing packaging somewhat, but basically keeping it the same.  I'd say the blue's working for them.  As good as anything else has anyway.

But CW doesn't seem like it's going to be an expansive line, or at least it's not seeming that way now...  Things could change, but the cartoon series is not even a "large" event.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 09:56 AM »
I think that Hasbro is going to blend the 2 eventually into the Episode III line to which they might attach the name DESTINY...what do you think?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 10:17 AM »
well i believe both lines will coexist for the time being...
hell thats what it seems hasbro has planned so far anyway.
but POTF3?
i really like the sound of that  :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 12:28 PM »
No.  Clone Wars and SAGA are going to run concurrently.  They'll be the equivalent of having 2 different collections.  It's just that one will focus on The Clone Wars and have the red/white/sand cardback, the SAGA one will focus on everything else, and have a blue card.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 02:00 PM »
If the SOTE line is any indicator, I think Hasbro better keep the SAGA line going simultaneously.   ;)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 02:27 PM »
I think Saga will do just fine, and both will continue into next year.  Hasbro is going to use the CW line to broaden its EU horizons.  I bet you a dollar we're going to see figs like Quinlon Vos next year.  

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 02:54 PM »
Just what Dressel Rebel said.
I do feel that after the hype of Clone Wars and Saga, sometime next year I think we will be seeing a new card or back to the old Saga card.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 07:15 PM »
Great input guys.  I think the Clone Wars line could definitely lead to a large EU expansion in the future.  The future of EU figures could depend on the success of the CW line...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Maybe I'm just Hasbro-weary (as opposed to world-weary) but I keep flashing back on the sudden death of POTF2 as it tried to coexist with the Episode I glut. Both lines died because of that mess. Splitting Clone Wars and Saga by assortment might very well kill the both of them.

If there's going to be any kind of Star Wars push this year by the retailers, I have to believe it will be focused on Clone Wars,  which will set Saga even further along the wayside than it already is. I can't see both lines getting equal attention, unless the attention is so low that nobody cares either way and CW is forced into the same space Saga has at the stores now.

Either way, I sense harrowing times ahead for Saga in '04.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 12:30 AM »
It could end up like E1/POTF2, but then that was four assortments retailers were dealing with, and this is two.  Both have obvious distinctions (CW=kids, Saga=collectors) so it may not be that bad.  Unless of course this nonsense with not being able to find figures continues.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Exactly Spuffy.  Not being able to find any new figures is complete nonsense.  Hasbro has some real issues.  If they can't even get SAGA right, what is there to make us think that they can tackle two seperate lines at the same time?  

I think that the upcoming SAGA assortments are going to be much harder to come by as the retailers will try going with the CW line, seeing that it is new and is backed up somewhat by multimedia.  I'm definitely not going to miss any preorders on cases for a while now, because I am afraid of some hard times as a collector being on the horizon (like they aren't bad enough already!).

Newforce cancelled my Wave 12 order, and have been pretty slow generally lateley (not saying it's their fault), while Entertainment Earth always seems on top of things, so I think I am going to start taking a lot of business to EE.  EE has also lowered their prices on cases drastically to compete with other e-tailers.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 04:29 PM »
Right on, Chewie.  Internet all the way for me until this thing works itself out.  And even then, I don't know.  I've been ordering on line since the fall of 2001, because of the POTJ distribution problems, so...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 11:00 PM »
This could be bad guys,I can see it all now,pegs full of durge,and wallets full of maxed out credit cards due to online ordering,what a bright future. ::)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -