Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 85165 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Playset Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 3, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Rebo Band stage? 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #166 on: June 3, 2015, 04:35 PM »
That Kiss set should come with pyrotechnics at that price!   ;D

Also, they can't just re-issue the BMF Falcon for TFA...they need to change the dish.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: June 3, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I'd have been all Beavis and made my own with Sparklers as a kid.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rogue One Toy Rumors
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2016, 08:11 PM »
"Modular playsets" have been done, and done really well, but just not by Hasbro...  I think the problem with them is they're cool to the 30+ crowd, but to a 12 and under, do stackable hallways matter?

There was a playset put out eons ago for military toys.  It was the first time I'd seen anything like it, and it's nothing you can buy now (short window of availability).  Tiny little cheapo toy company in China made it.  It was simply AWESOME!  I got mine from someone who collected 1/18 military figures, and that was how I actually heard about this thing at all.  I wish I'd bought a dozen of them at the time but alas, hindsight is always 20/20.

It is very customizable, very simple...  Walls slot into posts which plug into floor squares.  Everything is perfectly square, and can be built atop/under each other, and side-to-side, front-to-back, etc.  Walls are thin printed sheets more or less (cheap in feel and look).  It makes a cool display for really military stuff, Star Wars stuff...  almost anything.  I loved it though.  It's not amazing, but it's fun and looks neat with figures around it.

That said, I think Hasbro looks at that really for what it is...  It's like a stand on steroids for older people.  A cool way to display toys rather than play with them.  And while I personally want that too, do kids?  I honestly feel I would've at a younger age, actually.  I loved the Terror Drome playset, and it was the action in the little hallways underneath that you could open and play in that I enjoyed the most as a kid.  But I was a weird kid (and adult), so do kids today want that or do they want a playset with all the bells/whistles that make up something like we're accustomed to seeing from Hasbro?  I think they'd lean that way with one, not in the stackable display route.  I mean, the TFA Falcon kind of sums it up.  But hey, any year anything is possible at this point too.  Hasbro has every year to try something else out, if they want.

I have seen some cool things in the world of customizable displays or "playsets" though, but I just don't think Hasbro's going to bite on something like that, as a big Christmas time toy/gift idea. 

And looking at what garage casters have done, it's doable on the small scale, but it ain't cheap for the buyer.  :-X  Also a risk of dealing with someone who just decides life's in the way and they can't get it done...  even if they've been paid.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rogue One Toy Rumors
« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2016, 12:43 PM »
That said, I think Hasbro looks at that really for what it is...  It's like a stand on steroids for older people.  A cool way to display toys rather than play with them.  And while I personally want that too, do kids?  I honestly feel I would've at a younger age, actually.  I loved the Terror Drome playset, and it was the action in the little hallways underneath that you could open and play in that I enjoyed the most as a kid.  But I was a weird kid (and adult), so do kids today want that or do they want a playset with all the bells/whistles that make up something like we're accustomed to seeing from Hasbro?  I think they'd lean that way with one, not in the stackable display route.  I mean, the TFA Falcon kind of sums it up.  But hey, any year anything is possible at this point too.  Hasbro has every year to try something else out, if they want.

Honestly, I think they do like that stuff.  I know my son and his friends do.  When they play with their toys, it's all about having "a base" for the good guys, and "a base" for the bad guys.

Star Wars, army men, Imaginext, whatever they play with - that's what they want to focus on... setting the guys up in their respective bases, and then having a battle with the figures.

Just look at TRU - in the cheap 3.75" lines, they have numerous playsets.  Military headquarters, adventure jungle playsets, mountain playsets, dinosaur playsets, etc.   Hasbro is just stuck in a mentality that they don't want to do it.  If they want to, and invest in it right, it can and probably would be very successful.  It's just not in their mindset.  I've pretty much given up any faith in Hasbro on this front though now - and on many fronts.  I pretty much think they suck these days on most levels.  I think the only hope is that Disney farms these things out to another company.

BTW, the Terror Drome is a perfect example (a Death Stay playset in that spirit would be awesome).  My kid wants a Terror Drome so damn bad.  I guess it's getting to be about time that I finally look to restore my vintage one for him.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Most of modern Star Wars' play sets have been half-baked.

The POTF2 ones were more like set pieces for a stage version of Star Wars. The most realized set being the Hoth one, which was of course, the one of the four that needed updating from vintage the least (and they still got the turret wrong). I never owned the carbon freeze set, though...was that POTJ?

The cardstock diorama set were great display pieces, but a kid would destroy those in a few days.

Episode one...the generator duel wasn't much. The hanger was hampered by the Qui-Gonn electronic WOOKIE RAGE Jedi attack figure (it was sort of fun to make a small Liam Neeson attack everything). Oh, and that R2 case that was sort of a trade federation hall way. Yeah.

Episode 2....the Geonosis Arena had potential, the idea of smaller sets connecting to it. But it didn't look good. I never owned one. Later modded in COBRA MOUNTAIN...why did Cobra have battle droid parts on the floor?

Episode 3. Akator Mustafar....if they'd made the bottom a separatist control room, it would've felt substantial instead of just a big stand for Anakin and Obi-Wan.

I sort of understand Hasbro. There were always large vehicles they could make instead.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2016, 01:59 AM »
Honestly, I think they do like that stuff.  I know my son and his friends do.  When they play with their toys, it's all about having "a base" for the good guys, and "a base" for the bad guys.

And thus God created Lego, a company who does it better because, well, they've had decades of experience and the built-in product design/manufacturing for kids to "make bases".  So why would Hasbro attempt to get into the "customizable base" idea where kids can build their own creation?  Why try to compete in an arena you're woefully outmatched in?  That's not smart business...  Kreo anyone?  They even see THAT model as the smarter direction to go, for that kind of product.  They wanted a piece of it, and basically realized (I think) that getting a piece of that isn't very easy.

Nevermind the fact you're ignoring my point about "Playsets"...  Kid's like "Playsets", which you cited like the cheapo chap mei, out of scaled, printed plastic, action featurey, detail lacking things most people would call a "playset".  I'd agree with that.  It has kid-appealing things.  It's NOT a stackable, expandable, hallway.  It's not the Death Star hallway, with a Death Star Control Room that can attach to it left, right, forward, back, up, or down...  Which I think is a cool thing, but it's nothing more than a glorified display stand than a "playset".  The two things aren't one-in-the-same.  And what happens when that Chap Mei copycat Playset comes out from Hasbro?  And at a probably inflated price?  Endless complaining from collectors...  maybe not kids, but collectors, incessant bitching.  Collectors nitpick EVERYTHING.  People poo poo'd the Bespin Freeze set (I kinda like it) (and yes, it's POTJ Scockery), and every other set they've made.

What Hasbro makes will be out of scale, feature oversized, springloaded weapons, it'll have "action features", it'll have "Play value"...  It won't be Emperor Palpatine's private bathroom or the red control room from the Death Star Hangar...  It'll be a sphere that opens up, it might mix micromachines to make small environments out of larger scenes, it'll have a couple spaces with crammed in features and stuff, some cheap printed panels to convey a larger space, cheap plastic...  cheap.  Or cheap feeling, by a collector's POV anyway. 

Actually, it's funny...  Hasbro does kinda suck in many ways, at least as a dedicated collector's concerned (myself included)...  They're not focused on us, and that's hitting people emotionally in different ways.  For me, I have other things I'm interested in and a myriad of ways I can spend my time, $, etc., so I don't look at Hasbro as something I should treat as a dartboard beacuse they're not catering to me.  They're a business, and a quite large one with shareholders, and they have their responsibilities.  And they're making $, so they're smarter than collectors apparently realize.  I want an expansive SA quality 3.75" line for TFA...  I don't have TFA Han in his regular coat, with Super Articulation.  That blows. 

I want super duper hallway displays I can stack and customize in any way I see fit too.  Used to talk about 'em on Rebelscum, long before I was here even.  But I also know Hasbro would NEVER make something like that so I don't wish for it and torture myself.  Why dwell on it?  Where we differ is simply I say it's NOT possible for them to do that, and it be profitable.  I believe them on that.  They're capable of doing it, just not making it make money. 

Every set Scockery listed above has been lambasted...  I hate them too.  I don't want that.  But I also realize what I want is really just a stand on roids.  And that I'm sure I'll be happier with anything I make myself over whatever Hasbro attempted, because Hasbro has limitations they have to live by to make $ as they're designed.

The fact you think the Terror Drome is a perfect example of what Hasbro SHOULD recreate today as a Death Star?  C'mon man!  I didn't think we'd get something like that in the 90's or early 2000's, much less NOW.  I'd suggest getting a dust rag and some grey and black spray paint, as I don't feel you'll see anything like the greatness that was the toy overload of GIJ:ARAH in the 80's.  Especially when kid's attention spans aren't there because they aren't the kids of the 80's anymore.  It's been a few decades, and things have changed.

It's funny though...  How spoiled were we from 2005-2012 at least?  A 2007 slideshow alone is what Hasbro could walk up to ANY collector who's been through it all, smack them in the mouth for complaining, and drop the mic.  :-X

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Well, the amount of money they are missing out on is what stuns me.  I have bought 2-3 vintage death stars in the last few years alone and own 7 total.  None are from my childhood.  Without anything significant to buy from Hasbro, I've spent thousands on third party Transformers.  Missed opportunity.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Yeah but that's like saying Dodge is missing out on selling 69 Charger replicas because you own a couple originals.  To make that, it'd cost X and they'd have to sell Y to be profitable...  Just because you are buying old ones and want them to do new ones doesn't mean that's a good idea for them, or that it's going to make them $ guaranteed.

It might, but making that DS is way different in 1978/79 than it is in 2016.

It's back to my original point that I want cool stands on steroids like Death Star halls you can stack and connect, but I'm one guy, and they need to sell to a lot of kids and others and simply don't feel that concept will work to that group.  It'll work to me/collectors...  We are an ever shrinking group though.  :-\

We are also kings of waiting on sales and clearances...  Playing a waiting game is an art with adult collectors. 

So while they're leaving your thousands on the table, the $ they feel they'd lose on investing in that product outweighs it I guess. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Who was making the unofficial Ewok village huts?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Twelfth Parsec makes "Space Trees" and "Desert Dens."

http://twelfthparsec.miiduu.com/

And as for Rogue One playsets...

(That's not real though, just a mock-up featuring my Yavin IV playset design.)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One Toy Rumors
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I think we're absolutely going to be in store for a different looking toy line when both the ROGUE ONE and Episode 8 toy lines launch.  Hasbro and the other licensees have a ton of new data from the retailers that will show what sold and what didn't.  I think that some of the gimmick/novelty stuff will move to the wayside and the segments of the line that did sell well will get a little more attention.  It's basic business and Hasbro, like any other savvy business, will invest in the segments of the line that were the most profitable.  So will the Battlers continue?  Or what about the Micro Machines?  How about the Hero Series 12"?  I think that segments like that are vulnerable, while the 3.75" figure system could use some retooling, and I think they're also going to continue to pursue the roleplay line.

I've pretty much given up on the notion of Hasbro producing playsets.  It just seems like a dead issue, and I'm tired of getting my hopes up.  Continuing to talk about it just seems crazy.  The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same over and over again while expecting a different outcome.  Rather, I think that the future of playsets with adult collectors lies in 3D printers and a network of fans who are building the things that they want.  BTW, thanks for that link, Muftak!  I really like the look of the twelfth parsec offerings.

There's also the matter of where does the toy industry go from here?  And I think we're in a transitional period.  The action figure sector has changed.  Manufacturing in China is much more expensive now than it was during the PT era.  I know some people are banking on this notion of the 40th anniversary.  Maybe Hasbro is holding back for that?  Who knows. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Twelfth Parsec makes "Space Trees" and "Desert Dens."

And as for Rogue One playsets...

(That's not real though, just a mock-up featuring my Yavin IV playset design.)

Hey, didn't you develop these with a member of this forum and then cut him out so you didn't have to share your profits?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Hey, didn't you develop these with a member of this forum and then cut him out so you didn't have to share your profits?

Wrong guy I think.

I have no hand in the Twelfth Parsec stuff and no knowledge of their history.

My "boutique brand" is Cardboard Galaxy. And there's no profit in CBG, just fun.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2016, 10:44 AM »

Wrong guy I think.

I have no hand in the Twelfth Parsec stuff and no knowledge of their history.

My "boutique brand" is Cardboard Galaxy. And there's no profit in CBG, just fun.

My apologies to you then.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."