Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 85163 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Playset Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2016, 04:57 PM »
That would make an awesome Kubrick display...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Got my order of 6 inch walls today, damn these are really impressive.  They are pretty much exactly what I've been begging for Hasbro to make for quite a while now.  I can recall a few years ago mocking up something very similar to this as a "would be awesome SDCC reveals" fake presentation.  I'm so happy!!!

Once they get the 3.75" sets in stock, I can see myself dropping a hundreds of $$ right off the bat,  maybe closer to a 1k order.  These are that good and are a game changer for displaying a collection. 

Hasbro really missed the boat, in my book. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42 PM »
Pics...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for posting.  How do these stay standing?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2016, 08:56 PM »
You clip them and they kind of hold themselves up on a flat surface...  Many people are using a piece of glass painted black on one side for a shiny floor of sorts.  I'd like to see the guys at the company come up with a floor solution themselves, but floors mean more cost, so it's kind of a weighed decision ultimately.   If you had them on a shelf with a back to it, you can just set them up to cover the back...  That works ideally as well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:56 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03 PM »
So they're thick enough and stable enough to stand on their own?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Hmmm, I'd say yeah, kinda, but the company had double-sided tape to "stick" them down to a flat surface if that makes sense.

In CHEWIE's pic there you see those binder clips, which hold them together length-wise, but IMHO having a backer wall for them to be against too, is a huge help, as far as standing upright goes, or making a "corner" with them instead of a straight wall.

Right now though, double-side tape is the best sticky to the floor to keep them upright solution.

I'd again LOVE to see a floor done that they "clip" to.

The company is working on their own clip system too, to clip them together.

Mine are currently up on my customizing table and standing, and not falling down easily, but they can fall down if you bump them and they're not against a back wall to keep them propped up or taped to the surface.  I don't like the tape route, personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2016, 09:25 PM »
So they're thick enough and stable enough to stand on their own?

Yes and no.  They are pretty thick (about half an inch) and they stand up fine on their own, but without a backing or support, a little push will also easily knock them over.  They are one sided anyway, so you could either stack them up against a wall for support or double stack them to look like a finished wall from both sides.  If I don't have them up against a wall, I'll probably have some kind of paper weight to make sure they're a little more stable.  Here are a few quick unboxing pics...

Great packing job, so they came in really minty shape and they feel super sturdy and thick.  I put an LED flashlight behind the light-wall and it looks pretty cool if you can work that into your display.  The walls are a bit high for the 4" stuff standing by themselves, but that's probably the size you'd want for display shelves anyway.  The clip on pieces work really well and you get far more than you actually need.  They do not connect at a 90 degree angle, which is my only disappointment so far.  I'm guessing we'll see adapters for different configurations and stability in the near future.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2016, 12:39 AM »
Nice pics, and Jesse and both JediJman explained these spot on. 

I am so happy!  These seriously have uplifted my outlook on the hobby a lot.  It just opens up display possibilities so much.  I hope that this is just the tip of the iceberg with what these guys are going to make available.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2016, 08:48 AM »
The pieces look fantastic.  I'm very interested in these, but I'll be even MORE interested if/when they can find some way of connecting the pieces together with some sort of built in fasteners.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2016, 05:15 PM »
The pieces look fantastic.  I'm very interested in these, but I'll be even MORE interested if/when they can find some way of connecting the pieces together with some sort of built in fasteners.

I really wouldn't let the fasteners hold you back.  You don't see the back of the wall anyway once they're displayed and the little clips hold really well from what I've seen.  Plus I feel like official fasteners would probably come with an official cost increase.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't let that be a deterrent nick.  These are production quality walls.  Not cheap materials but something that feels made by a large company.  I think you'll dig them even if you need to buy those binders.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Agreed, I really think that pretty much anyone who displays their figures loose will find a good use for these.  The little clips come with the order and really work out way better than I would have imagined.  Definitely can't wait for 3.75" scale ones.  GTP toys indicated that they think the 3.75" ones will be even better...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2016, 10:18 PM »
OK so as we promo'd on the front page, Galactic Trading Post put up pre-orders for their 3.75" Space Wall sets!  First foray into that scale for them, but I can only imagine it's going to be as good as the 1/12 walls have been.  Love mine, even for 3.75" displaying.

3.75" Space Walls 7-Pc Set $55 Pre-Order...  Or Pre-Order 2 Sets & Get Support Beam Set Free + (Free Support Set is sold out or taken down for some reason) 8% off the pre-order price down to $50.50!

3.75" Hallway Support Beam Set (2 beams in a set) $12.50 ea

Also listed as coming soon is a 3.75" Accessory Set, which we're guessing are the 2 cargo boxes and barrels that were made for the 1/12 sets, however no pre-order on those yet.

I'm pre-ordering a couple sets myself, as I really enjoy having backdrops for figures, even if just on my desk to goof around posing my figures while I work or whatever.  I also think I'm going to pick up enough to do a complete backdrop for my Imperial shelf I think, once I get a solid measurement guesstimate here.

The "Support Beam" sets are as the name suggets, a decorative way to keep the walls upright...  I'm guessing those are more a necessity in this scale than the 1/12 sets which I feel sure were thicker, and thus sturdier.  My 1/12's stand pretty well without tape but I can see how they'd topple easily especially if the shelf they're on isn't perfectly level.

So, anyway, the pre-order page is up for the two options!  Order up!  I was pleased enough with the 1/12 sets, and since they sell out fast (at least twice now), that I'm going to order a couple of these wall sets now "sight unseen" I think.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 07:38 PM by Jesse James »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 4, 2016, 01:14 AM »
I placed an order as well for 2 sets of the 3.75" walls on Friday.  Can't wait to get them!