Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 84887 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: The Playset Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 7, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Anybody had any success on buying and adding LED kits to models like this?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 7, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Anybody had any success on buying and adding LED kits to models like this?

I haven't added a kit, but any kind of light source behind these panels makes them pretty awesome.  I want to add something with a switch, so it isn't a pain manually turn each light on and off.  They'd never get used that way.  Here is a quick shot of how these panels look with an LED behind them.  Pretty sick.

I picked up some of those 3D Printed Bespin figure stands from Slugworth a while back and this post inspired me to finally write up my review of them.  Slug doesn't seem to be on much, but he would be a great reference to chime in on where to get these.  The kits he uses for his stands work great. 

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #257 on: February 7, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Look at the lighting area in a Lowes, or better on Harbor Freight or even Ebay, for some fairly simple pre-lit LED set-ups. 

The other tips I'd give, look for Xmas lights post-season for cheap.  They're pre-wired and have on/off switches.  I usually go through picking up some electronics like that for cheap so I have some things handy that I like to have for wiring up LEDs.  Halloween anymore is good too since places like Big Lots will have 3mm LED kits and such, and they'll have nifty colors like orange/purple to boot.

If you want white LEDs, Xmas obviously, but you can usually get a small strand with a battery box/switch for cheap after Xmas.

If you just wanna wire junk up, you just have to scour Ebay as there's tons of that junk for cheap from China.

At Harbor Freight they sell LED undercabinet lighting.  Some of it is positional spotlights, some a slightly positional light bar, etc.  You could even technically tear down one of their freebie flash lights and figure something out with it too.

Here's a linky to the HF stuff (but go to a store, it's cheaper to buy there): http://www.harborfreight.com/led-under-cabinet-light-62893.html

The "problem" you wind up with a lot of the time, and Justin's pic illustrates it, is the light kind of intensifies in one spot there rather than even throughout the ovals (if that makes sense).  That's difficult to not have that short of completely wiring something yourself so the lights are off to the side somewhat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 8, 2017, 07:25 AM »
On the whole subject of stands for figures, I found these stainless steel spice racks at The Container Store.  They're pretty well made and a definite upgrade from the white plastic tiered shelves that you can readily find at a lot of big box stores.  And these can also expand in width, making them pretty versatile.

There's also a a corner spice shelf that I've been eyeing, but for a use like the designers may not have intended for it.  I'm planning on getting a couple of these.  And with a little modification (along with flipping it over) it's got great potential for making a Home One briefing room. 

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2017, 12:38 PM »
GTP Toys is now shipping 3.75" walls to customers.  Check your inboxes for shipping updates and let's see some pics once we start receiving them!   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2017, 07:52 PM »
The blast door set is on sale for some that came damaged.  Their definition of damage can be VERY mild I've found.  And for over half off that's a steal either way imho.  I'd order up while you can.  They're 1/12 scale but they make nice large doors for 3.75" figs imo

http://galactictradingpost.com/shop_single.html#!/~/cart
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77