Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 84909 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Playset Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2008, 11:58 AM »
Depends on complexity...  Let's say the Lars Homestead dome is 2 or 3 (max) pieces of injection molded plastic.  From what I gather, that's about all it is...  That's 3 tooled pieces to form the item.  It costs $50 with its smattering of old figures.

Looking at the stackable Death Star items, you're looking at 3, 4, or so similar "items" comprised of probably similar total number of parts to make each "section".  You're already looking at $150 or so then...  Let's say $120 to be liberal though.

So is anyone willing to shell out $120-ish for 3 unique stackable little Death Star halls to display figures in?  That's ultimately the question.  Or to simplify it, would people pay $50 per section (assuming you get 3 or 4 rehashed figures too) to buy any given section?

And by "anyone" I mean mostly collectors, because honestly will kids give a **** about any piece of that first Death Star?  I doubt it.  And bear in mind also that none of those sections can have anything complex added to them (IE: lights, sounds, "working" elevators, springloaded anything, etc.).  At best maybe a door that opens ala the Hoth Turret's door or something.

I agree with you Jesse.  These sets aren't too complex.  I think that's the key to making them a success myself.  With a working door or two on each level, and the accessories removable - that's what I'd like to see.  No silly play features that distract from the aesthetic value.  I really think $50 is more than reasonable to collectors for that kind of quality too... maybe here's how I'd market a similar set -

Level 1 - w/ Stormtrooper Han, Stormtrooper Luke, Chewbacca
Level 2 - w/ Tarkin, Leia, Death Star Trooper
Level 3 - w/ Vader, Obi Wan, Stormtrooper
Level 4 - w/ C-3PO, R2-D2, Imperial Officer

For the record, I've had a number of collectors and kids alike view that Death Star custom set in person.  They really do freak out when they see it... yes, even the kids.  We have a garage sale or two each summer, and just two weeks ago we had one.  I sell off some old Star Wars stuff I don't need at them and when kids start buying stuff, my wife ALWAYS invites them in to see my Star Wars room.  Pretty neat that they always seem to gravitate to the items that Hasbro DOESN'T make.... like the custom Death Star, Star Destroyer, Imperial Fortress, etc. that Owen D. made for me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I spent a lot of time voicing my interest in the notion of Hasbro designed props or environments to display my figures. I'm not a customizer, and wanted something different than steps or shelves to line figures up in rows. The Cantina bar and tables are great, but I need a backdrop. Reiken's map is great, but it needs an icy cave setting.

So in that sense, I really like the Lars homestead. It is a cool big prop, not a lot of tooling/assembly for the big H, etc. But $50 is too much unless the figures are better. I could go $30 or so for the dome itself given an opportunity, but I don't see something this big being re-released a dozen times like the speederbike so this may be the only shot at it.

I agree with Rob about the Sarlaac. I didn't walk out of Jedi thinking they needed a little shop of horrors monster with electronic sound effects to make the movie better, and the addition of the sar-sac is still annoying to me. But I agree that it is a cool environment choice to get some figures displayed and re-release the skiff.

But getting back to Jesse's point about the Falcon (another massive playset in many ways), how many of us have room for too many of these now? When I was making my noise on the subject, it was several years and several hundred figures ago. Now I bought the Falcon, and have almost completely re-done my collection room trying to fit it in- it still hasn't worked. And I have thinned out my collection considerably, probably by nearly half from strictly a storage/display standpoint.

The prequels brought a lot of new collectors in to the mix, so maybe they are in a better spot to fit some of these great monstrosities in to their collection. But I know space and storage issues have become their own threads in places, so for sure I am not alone either. For me, the time of big props may have come and gone- I like how they look, but financially and physically they don't fit very well with what I am willing to make my collection become. I may still end up with Lars homestead, but I don't know how many more items like it I could take.

I'm in much the same boat in a number of ways.  I'm not a customizer, haven't tried, so I'm more than happy that Hasbro is starting to make some diorama-type pieces to dispaly figures in and around.  Like you said, its a nice change up from lining them up on shelves or on little spice rack risers.  I'm also running into the problem of space now too, to the point where I'm thinking about dropping prequel era vehicles and larger items so I can have room for these OT set pieces (and new vehicles, if more get the BMF treatment).  I like the prequel stuff, but I'm really at the point where I'm out of room for stuff now - and like you, and others I'm guessing - I really had to work things around just to fit the Falcon somewhere.  Even though I look at the AT-TE each time I'm out, I don't know why I even consider buying it as I know its just going to have to stay in the box.  I can't really set things on the floor with a one year old, so if there's not room on the shelves, I have to pass for now.  Like I said, I'm really happy with the new interest Hasbro is showing in larger items (vehicles and environment pieces), but I do think it might force some collectors (like me) to make decisions on what to buy/pass on, or keep/sell - many of us have been buying stuff for 10 years or more, so that's a lot of crap to find room for :) - even if you only buy Star Wars (which I wish I was smart enough to do).

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2008, 02:10 PM »
and when kids start buying stuff, my wife ALWAYS invites them in to see my Star Wars room.

I'm just sayin'...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I think some sites try too hard to "act tough" in the face of Hasbro...  I don't know how to word it really I guess, but I just get that vibe by some of the questions some sites let through.

It's simple, JJ.  Sandtroopers is keepin' it real, bitches.  They're not afraid to let Hasblow know what's up.  They're not like all these other namby-pamby sites out there, *****-footing around with their namby-pamby questions, sprinkling in their "pleases" and their "thank-yous" and all that other silly girly-man bull****.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00 PM »
You can't teach that kind of awesome - you're born with it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2008, 02:00 AM »
namby-pamby

I can't stop laughing.  "Namby-pamby" indeed. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: playsets
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I keep thinking of modular playsets, and the only way that that would work was this if a costumer could logically buy 2-3 of a certain set.  For instance, if they made a Death Star, you would only need 1 Conference Room.  But if they made a generic hall/doorway/elevator, you could buy 2-3 and make your own set.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Yeah, and they'd just need to produce the "generic" areas in higher numbers.  Include a rehashed Stormtrooper and a reworked main character in each set, and they could be very popular.

But hey, I'd also buy 3-3/4" scaled versions similar to the vintage micro collection:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:54 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2010, 04:03 PM »
I'd pay $200 for large killer playsets.  But would actually rather see them be made modular, and be around $40-$50 each.

heh, I've said this several times on this very site!

Even laid out the plans for different sized rooms, hallways, elevator, etc.

I keep thinking of modular playsets, and the only way that that would work was this if a costumer could logically buy 2-3 of a certain set.  For instance, if they made a Death Star, you would only need 1 Conference Room.  But if they made a generic hall/doorway/elevator, you could buy 2-3 and make your own set.

And a collector too...lol.

Seriously though, as I mentioned above, I've posted how the DS could be several playsets to come out over time.

Without repeating myself all over again (and being lazy as I don't want to find my own post) here is the basic rundown:

Rooms:
Conference Room
Red Control Room
Emperor's Throne Room
Hangar (that the Falcon was in)
Trash Compactor
Detention Center

Hallways: Each set contains parts to make it a wall or a door.
Long-twice as long as the short version
Short
Curved make either or both 45º and/or 90º curves to connect hallways/rooms

Misc other related parts:
Elevator
Interior Trench/Tractor Beam

Rooms can vary in price according to size. The Conference, Red Control, Trash Compactor and Dentention Center would be smaller sets that should cost around $30-40. The Hangar and Emepror's Throne room would cost a bit more. Since we now have a much large Falcon, the size of this "room" would be enormous. Though since it IS mostly walls, could be packed more tightly and definitely NOT be a window box. THe throne room would be smaller than the Hangar but would have more interactive stuff. (Rotating throne, stairways (one that could break apart), etc). These could come out once every quarter thereby giving everyone time to save for them as well as drum up anticipating getting the next set.

Hallways would be readily available and CHEAP. Since they are after all just hallways and nothing special, the sets should cost nor more than $10-15. Again, they would be just floor, walls, and blast doors.

Oh and these sets, both hallways and rooms would be stackable (no more than three high for safety), except the Hangar and Throne room which would likely be that high already.

Hasbro would NOT keep us in the dark about these sets. Rather they would have a carefully crafted plan to release these at the time intervals mentioned above. Having a marketing strategy in place for a year or two with this ultimate modular playset again helps we consumers plan for it, keeps us excited knowing what is coming next and when to expect it to come out. Barring a problem with the manufacturing plant, stick to the timeline.

There may be other DS environments I forgot, but you get the point.

Whew, I just can't condense that any further.

Anyway, Hasbro I feel is giving up a gold mine here that they could mine for a few years. The sets would be relatively cheap to produce. We DO NOT need figures as pack-ins for these. We already HAVE the figures. Maybe some accessories, but cheap ones. Cargo boxes come to mind as they are aplenty on the DS.

So there is is yet again...lol.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Yeah, and they'd just need to produce the "generic" areas in higher numbers.  Include a rehashed Stormtrooper and a reworked main character in each set, and they could be very popular.

But hey, I'd also buy 3-3/4" scaled versions similar to the vintage micro collection:

You got your post in before mine and before I could read yours.

Not trying to sound defiant here, but really do we need more hero figures for these sets? These would clearly be directed to collectors and we don't need any more Vaders or Emperors. I suspect most of us have enough Stormtroopers by now.

Okay maybe an Imperial Officer, but a generic one. Or finally the grey suited Death Star Trooper.

But really any others beyond that are practically pointless. It would drive up the cost of the sets and one main point of these is to keep the sets at a cost the consumer will actually pay for.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Well, I'm looking at it from more than just what I want to see - do I really want another Han or Luke?  Probably not, but it could help convince parents to buy this sort of thing for their kid it it included a core character they are familiar with.  Though if they can upgrade figures like they did on Luke for the Resurgence of the Jedi Battle Pack, then I'd absolutely have no problem with adding another Luke and company to my collection.

And I totally get what you're saying on the format of the actual environments, I've spent a lot of "spare change" on some custom ones in the past and there's a recent poll at Yak that seems to back up collectors being interested in a similar format.  I don't think too many collectors who actually DO want a Death Star playset would argue against it being modular (and aesthetically appealing).  I guess the real question lies in whether or not there's enough collectors willing to shell out the dough... I get the feeling there is a window that is starting to close and if Hasbro's going to do it, they need to get moving before it's too late.  Of course, if the Death Star shows up in the TV series, that's a different story and that window will be larger than ever.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2010, 01:44 AM »
I guess the real question lies in whether or not there's enough collectors willing to shell out the dough... I get the feeling there is a window that is starting to close and if Hasbro's going to do it, they need to get moving before it's too late.  Of course, if the Death Star shows up in the TV series, that's a different story and that window will be larger than ever.

Then let's hope it does show up in the TV series!  I'd love to see these modular sets come to fruition...  And sell well so that they make more.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again so hasbro doesn't have to dig far back into the thread for my opinion, but I'm all for the modular playsets. Fantastic idea.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Yep, I have said the same stuff repeatedly as well.  I just don't really get why they can't come up with a decent playset of THE most iconic environment of Star Wars.  I really love Hasbro for making such a wide range of action figures and vehicles over the years.  Why they can't tap into the Death Star is beyond me?  There is plenty of action and screen time.  All of the main characters and troopers and vehicles they have been selling repeatedly for 30 years now interact with each other inside and outside of it.  I think modular would be the logical way to go.  If they are all bent ouf of shape about the price of a single playset I understand that.  So, go the modular route.  If nothing us collectors would be all over it.  I am sure some kiddies would even go for it.  If they make it nice and not crappy like those older POTF2 things.

If they want to jazz it up with action features like cannons and such then come up with something.  You would think a toy company would just be DYING to come up with something cool related to the Death Star.  Honestly I think ever other toy company would shove something out Death Star related if they had the license.  Maybe I am wrong but if GI JOE can get a mobile playset they can do something with the Death Star.  The company that made the Star Trek toys even has a Beam Me Up (sorry I don't know the correct term) playset environment.  Granted it looks dull as hell but you know that most environments or rooms in the Death Star are a bit more action oriented and would probably do better.   

But that's my opinion.  I just think it's a shame we don't have something great involving the Death Star by now.  At least Kenner had that vintage Death Star playset that I am sure a lot of us had.  Hell they could even do something like that and just break it down into 3 seperate sets that either stack upon each other or side by side, whatever. 

Ok, I am done now.  LOL! 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: June 3, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Putting this here to troll the "we want playsets" thread...  :D

Another SDCC exclusive via Entertainment Earth - KISS Alive II Stage with 1:20 Scale Action Figures - $159.99

That's right - $160 gets you four 3.75" scale action figures and a limited edition, light-up stage with working wireless speaker.

Makes you wonder what Hasbro could give you for Episode 7 for that same $160.  Other than just re-issuing the BMF, that is. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender