Author Topic: The 2008 Repacks - it's like 2007, but now with Stands!  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
The 2008 Repacks - it's like 2007, but now with Stands!
« on: November 9, 2007, 02:31 PM »
OK, so the rumors are finally officially confirmed - a large number of the 2007 figures will be re-released in 2008 with stands instead of coins.  I guess at this point in Hasbro's history, I really shouldn't be surprised by this, but it still blows my mind. 

Wave 8/9 will get here in Nov/Dec, then in January many of the same figures (Droideka, Fatigues Clone, Vanguard, Hakbat Clone, etc) will show up again with stands instead of coins.  I guess I'd understand if they repacked older figures with stands like they did in 2006 (or in Legends), but grabbing wave 7/8/9 figures that are only a month or two old and recarding them already?  Can you say OVERKILL?   ::)

Again, I know I shouldn't be surprised based on Hasbro's history, but it still makes me wonder sometimes...  and it makes me very glad I finally killed my whole "carded collecting" thing.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: The 2008 Repacks - it's like 2007, but now with Stands!
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2007, 02:49 PM »
I think it's pretty abusive of Hasbro to do this knowing full well the number of "completists" out there - but sadly (for them) that number is rapidly dwindling.

And, despite this being the 30th Anniv. and all, I think they are loosing their base of core collectors, not just to age, but to this constant repack practice they've steadily ramped up over the past couple years.

Honestly, I rather have them work on distribution and case assortments rather than cranking out repackaged product.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Yeah I'm not shocked...  And some of them I think are good decisions, or at least they probably will be, due to difficulty in tracking some of it down, but unreleased stuff you don't even know just yet how hard it's going to be to find...

Some of the McQuarrie figures would've been nice, but without the coin there's a whole other level of frustration, even in re-releasing them. 

Such are the times we collect in though I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I've never been a completist, and am even more glad now that I'm not.  This hobby isn't completist friendly by any means. 

I'm really fine with these being repacked though; keeping in mind is these is basically an army builder repack wave; so it's not like we're seeing repacks of a bunch of core characters just a month or two after their initial release.

A full case of McQuarrie repacks would be more welcome I think, though I haven't had any trouble finding them (saw at least a dozen each of Vader, Fett and Snowtrooper in the past week).

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2007, 03:40 PM »
They're walking a very thin line.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Well I've been collecting both ways for 12 years - and this won't affect me at all.  I've always just skipped recards of figures unless the change is enough to make it into a new character.

Slight paint changes, accessory changes, card-back changes, pack-in changes... none of those things will get me to buy the same thing twice to keep carded.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35 AM »
I am pretty much a completist, i waiver from time to time and then rebuy later  ::). With that said, its always been about the figure. I am a completist when it comes to the figures and dont really care about a recards. Thats why its easy for me to pick and choose with the Saga Legends only getting the pack-in figures and things i may want to open. I will pass on these recards with the stands as long as the figures are the same.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Wow, there are still completist after all these years?  Where the hell do you guys put them all?  LOL. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I think it's pretty abusive of Hasbro to do this knowing full well the number of "completists" out there - but sadly (for them) that number is rapidly dwindling.

And, despite this being the 30th Anniv. and all, I think they are loosing their base of core collectors, not just to age, but to this constant repack practice they've steadily ramped up over the past couple years.

Well said.

To be honest, I'm surprised Hasbro went through the trouble of changing the packaging.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 04:04 PM »
I'll pass, except on army builders.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 04:40 PM »
There must be a lot of completionist, IMO, or I don't think Hasbro would be making all these variations and repacking, say the last few TAC figures with coins and, later, stands. I think they are milking it for all it's worth. It's all about profit and their going to go after those that are completists and the ones who get extras to keep carded. So this doesn't surprise me. It's just the same mindset that hasbro used to make convention exclusive McQuarrie figures to make the fans fork over a few extra dollars to get something that could have easily been on the pegs.

i think I'lve now learned that pack-in figures and vintage ones will slowly make their way into the basic line at some point. There's still 10-1 years to go on their licence, so I'm not worried that Yarna or the various Padmes won't make it someday.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Wow, there are still completist after all these years?  Where the hell do you guys put them all?  LOL. 

I wonder the same thing.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 09:05 PM »

Legends killed my hobby.  I'm officialy done being a completist after 8 years.  Thanks Hasbro!!  ;)  ********
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:12 AM »
I for one am happy for this change in format. Not being a completist or coin collector, I will be skipping the initial releases of these figures for the pack-in I would prefer. Kudos.

I wouldn't be too hard on Hasbro for the change, either. The 30AC obviously had a lot of problems getting into production, and things have been delayed all year. In any other year, Hasbro probably would've just bumped the last couple of waves into the next year's line. (Like what they acknowledged happened to the Yavin wave this year.)

Unfortunately, the 30AC promised a certain amount of coins to fill those albums and they have to deliver, hence a couple of waves where only half (or whatever) of the production run will be ready in time to get the coin treatment. Remember, there are figures from waves one and two that have been shipping all year, if these last few waves have the same production numbers as those, we should expect to see them shipping out for a while too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Unfortunately, the 30AC promised a certain amount of coins to fill those albums and they have to deliver, hence a couple of waves where only half (or whatever) of the production run will be ready in time to get the coin treatment. Remember, there are figures from waves one and two that have been shipping all year, if these last few waves have the same production numbers as those, we should expect to see them shipping out for a while too.

Thank you. I'm already reading a lot of panic on other sites that the last '07 wave coins are going to be impossible to get. I'm glad someone's thinking with a level head.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."